Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trascendental meditation helps world peace

Marc9595

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Positive thinking is often a means of avoiding problems. 

Ahh, but can it even effect unaware others at a distance? I say 'Yes' as we all share the same super-physical mental plane of reality.

Edited by papageorge1

14 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Ahh, but can it even effect unaware others at a distance? I say 'Yes' as we all share the same super-physical mental plane of reality.

Of course you say "yes", you always say yes. Never a different tune on your radio.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Marc9595 said:

I actually think that every kind of collective meditation and even simple positive thoughts on a collective level work to reduce violence to some degrees. https://research.miu.edu/maharishi-effect/reduced-violent-crime-in-washington-dc

It might for individuals.  It doesn't work unless everyone participates.

The problem here is getting people to meditate.  Many Christians (and possibly hardcore Muslims and maybe Jews) are suspicious of such things and claim that meditation leads to psychic takeovers.  

I did a little digging and according to the Straight Dope forum, crime was actually on the rise in 1993 (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-280393.html)  In an environment like that, it would be easy to cherry pick two months and make a claim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Tuco's Gas said:

Interesting idea. Just curious, though: by what means of transmission would positive meditation use to reach the non-meditators? What would the medium be? All forms of energy that are transmitted and received need some form of medium, i.e. electromagnetic radiation, heat, pressure. Or if it's not wireless then it needs a physical conduit. I cannot fathom how neurotransmitter activity in a meditator's head could reach another individual thinking of killing his boss 3700 miles away. 

I take my thinking on the subject from Theosophical and Vedic (Hindu) and other occult sources.

There are planes of reality such as the astral and mental planes that are real but not directly detectable by our physical three-dimensional senses and instruments. They exist in dimensions and at vibratory rates we don't physically detect. Science tells us that the vast majority of the matter/energy in the universe is not directly detectable (so-called dark matter). A human is actually composed of interpenetrating physical, astral and mental bodies. Vibrations on these higher planes can effect others. Creating positive vibrations can help others feel more positive. Group meditations can promote stronger positive vibrations. People sense these vibrations.

Yes, all strange from our physical-only normal perspective.

45 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

That may be true, I find it something I have thought about and seen unexplained results from it and it is the basis for a lot of prayer groups.  However, I have felt the effect of relatives adding my name to their prayer groups to "save" me so that I will "find jesus".  That is something I consider "black magic", trying to force someone to do or feel something they choose not to.

I know it is real and can be powerful.  As for world peace, I have not seen it maintained long enough to effect actual, long lasting change.

There is a man names James Twyman who teamed up with a group to do meditations for peace in specific hot spots in the middle east.  He enlisted some scientist to design a study and ways of gaging whether the medications worked or had an effect.  His take on the data was that it did.  But it was his project so someone outside of the project with no bias needs to look at the data to verify it.

Because of my experience with prayer groups I suspect the data could show that there was an effect.  Also, I think James Twyman teamed up with Neal Donald Walsh to produce a movie called Indigo, and I am not sure how reliable either of them really is, especially Neal Donald Walsh.

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Positive thinking is often a means of avoiding problems. 

No, real positive thinking includes problem solving.  Negative thinking is hiding your head in the sand, just a different kind of negative thinking than pessimism.

35 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

No, real positive thinking includes problem solving.  Negative thinking is hiding your head in the sand, just a different kind of negative thinking than pessimism.

Sure whatever.

48 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Because of my experience with prayer groups I suspect the data could show that there was an effect.  Also, I think James Twyman teamed up with Neal Donald Walsh to produce a movie called Indigo, and I am not sure how reliable either of them really is, especially Neal Donald Walsh.

Neal Donald Walsh is actually my favorite living spiritual teacher/channel.

I went to James Twyman's website and it has changed a lot in 20 years.  I remember he did a spoon bending class, and now he is doing a class on how to levitate.

• Like 1