Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

the ark was round?

docyabut2

And imaginary.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It was a nice story, just like many other fictional stories.

The world is filled with stories of imagination, why do some people think certain ones were true events? 

• Like 5

More like a cheese dome

1c91637fd51c714f0552ddb1d047131b.jpg

• Like 3

The ark was a box.   That's what arks are.

The boat the guy who survived the storm that hit a Persian Gulf fishing village 6,000 years ago survived in, may well have been a large reed coracle.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

No doubt in my mimd - a round boat made out of reeds and straw carrying lions and tigers, elephants, bears, and birds in total harmony over the storm tossed seas - you bet, give me more..! Where do I send my money? 

Kings Highway, Mickleton, New Jersey. 

Just stick it in my Meetinghouse mail slot. :yes:

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Essan said:

The ark was a box.   That's what arks are.

Ooohhh....Did it have a present in it? 

Like maybe a kazoo for Harte so he stops those head splitting limericks? :o

Edited by Piney
Where's the red paint?
  • Haha 6

The Ark can look whichever way you like, since it's entirely fictional you are free to let your imagination run wild. 

But yes, ark/arc is an arhaic word for box/chest. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

The Ark can look whichever way you like, since it's entirely fictional you are free to let your imagination run wild. 

Arc?

tenor.gif?itemid=14698605

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

Arc?

671 Diesel Lincoln? 

I have a 220 Mac. What a pig!! 

Every time I spark it up the electric bill jumps 50 bucks! :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Arc?

According to the etymology page I looked at to make sure that I don't relay  false information arc was an accepted  spelling variation of ark. 

When I first heard the English name of Noah's Ark many years ago I actually confused it with Arch and for a while I was wondering why a boat would be called an "arch" :blink:

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, you have to start at the point of origin.

Spoiler

Noah1.jpg.c494b23f93104bccebb6b6c52cbdd059.jpg

For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights;  So you got seven days to get to a boat, where was Pharaoh's port located.

Spoiler

Noah2.jpg.e091e6a406840c276d062a15b6150293.jpg

The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth:

Maybe I am wrong but I wouldn't think the chances are very good for finding a wooden ark after thousands of years, so instead I looked for the altar he built after landfall, it would have resembled the one he seen before getting on the ark.  

And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD;

Spoiler

Noah4.jpg.0d1307a6721dae6a7c8265a7cefceb1c.jpg

Edited by 029b10

On 2/21/2020 at 7:35 AM, Rlyeh said:

And imaginary.

And from a 6 year old story

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 5:43 PM, Scudbuster said:

Whether made out of wood or reeds and bitumen, these ark stories are just remarkable, don't you think:

Noah's arc.jpg

amazing animals

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/19/2020 at 7:43 AM, Scudbuster said:

Whether made out of wood or reeds and bitumen, these ark stories are just remarkable, don't you think:

Noah's arc.jpg

Skippy picked up all kinds of stuff.

Here she is placing a, one dollar, bet at the race track.

sport-of-kings_2_1440x990.jpg

https://www.nfsa.gov.au/collection/curated/sport-kings-skippy-places-bet

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Haha 4

On 2/21/2020 at 7:51 AM, Piney said:

On 2/21/2020 at 7:24 AM, Scudbuster said:

No doubt in my mimd - a round boat made out of reeds and straw carrying lions and tigers, elephants, bears, and birds in total harmony over the storm tossed seas - you bet, give me more..! Where do I send my money? 

Kings Highway, Mickleton, New Jersey. 

Just stick it in my Meetinghouse mail slot. :yes:

I miss New Jersey. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2020 at 8:16 AM, XenoFish said:
On 2/21/2020 at 8:03 AM, Orphalesion said:

Arc?

tenor.gif?itemid=14698605

Shocking!

• Thanks 1

If the Ark was round, there would have been more sea sick animals than a regular boat

On 2/21/2020 at 5:06 AM, docyabut2 said:

Ark/Flood myths predate Christianity.

But seeing as Christianity isn't actually an original religion but a continuation on of previous religions with new characters adopted then its in there too. The virgin birth, the messiah figure, the sacrifice, the three wise men, are in all of them going back 1000s of years at least back to the Sumerians. Probably even further but as they were the first to write it down its our earliest record.

I suspect its a true story either relating to the flooding of what is now the Black Sea, or the Younger Dyers comet fragment impacts. It would be more plausible if its the Black Sea because that is thought to have been created around 7000 BC. I could well imagine the villages/small cities in the Black Sea region having a mass panic and trying to save at least two of every one of their livestock and other important animals.

And lets face it, it means a boat carrying maybe 100 animals at maximum which sounds more realistic that a vast ark carrying every animal on the planet.

7 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

But seeing as Christianity isn't actually an original religion but a continuation on of previous religions with new characters adopted then its in there too. The virgin birth, the messiah figure, the sacrifice, the three wise men, are in all of them going back 1000s of years at least back to the Sumerians. Probably even further but as they were the first to write it down its our earliest record.

I suspect its a true story either relating to the flooding of what is now the Black Sea, or the Younger Dyers comet fragment impacts. It would be more plausible if its the Black Sea because that is thought to have been created around 7000 BC. I could well imagine the villages/small cities in the Black Sea region having a mass panic and trying to save at least two of every one of their livestock and other important animals.

And lets face it, it means a boat carrying maybe 100 animals at maximum which sounds more realistic that a vast ark carrying every animal on the planet.

Doubtful as the modern Jewish Calendrical system, which has been in effect for much of the last 2000 years, would suggest that the Biblical Flood occurred during the end of the 3rd millenium BC which is several millenia AFTER the Black Sea flood. It should also be pointed out that the Black Sea DID NOT originate with the flood, as implied above, but that the shallow coastal areas were inundated during that event. Lastly the original flood stories of Sumer/Akkad/Babylon/etc. suggest that the subject in question was a flooding of the Tigris/Euphrates river valley ONLY which negates any relevance to the Black Sea. 

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

I disagree,  The original Sumerian story refers to thunderstorms, terrific winds, torrential rain and a tidal surge

IMO the explanation for the original event on which later stories were based is obvious.   And rather more mundane (unless you have never experienced a Cat 5 hurricane)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Younger Dyers comet fragment impacts.

Oh, that thing that never happened that people lied about or planted evidence for.

I've explained this many times. There is NO EVIDENCE OF IT.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 9:11 AM, RabidMongoose said:

I believe the story of ark was a true story, also was the  true story of Jesus:(