Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery message spooks smartphone owners

UM-Bot

As long as it no longer burst into flames.

• Haha 2

I got the message. It was a bit unnerving wondering who was trying to "find my phone"

• Like 2

I noticed it, but I can't say I was particularly spooked by it. I assumed it was something I'd hit inadvertently, which is not uncommon. :mellow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"This notification was confirmed as a message sent unintentionally during internal testing and there is no effect on your device," a spokesperson wrote on the Samsung UK Twitter page.

"Samsung apologises for any inconvenience this may have caused to our customers and will work to prevent similar cases from occurring in the future."

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/334834/mystery-message-spooks-smartphone-owners

Sorted. Suppose they have sacked the person who unintentionally sent it or at least had a few words. 

This was quite bizarre as I got the message twice (last night and the night before) on an old S7 with no SIM card in that I use to watch youtube on via wifi while my S10 charges. It didn't come through on the S10 or mrs Stiff's S10 either. Odd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UM-Bot said:

Samsung Galaxy owners were left puzzled when a strange message was sent out during the night.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/334834/mystery-message-spooks-smartphone-owners

My wife also received, but at home the encrypted firewall I use would not allow an intrusion. 

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1

As a software developer, I can see all too easily how this happened. It was too easy of a mistake and someone wasn't paying attention when testing push notifications and sent the message to the wrong environment. Woops, hope the person keeps their job!

• Like 2

Yup... kind of like inadvertently clicking on "reply all"

Edited by and then

It wasn't just Galaxy owners affected, apparently.

"Over on Twitter Samsung was claiming the alert only affected a "limited number of Galaxy devices" – yet readers using non-Galaxy phones got in touch to tell us they had received the notification.

""I'm just letting you know this message appeared on my Norwegian Samsung XCover 4," said Tomas, who had also not set up Find my Mobile.

"Others reported seeing other people's personal data on Samsung's account management page when they logged in to change passwords as a security precaution.

"Yet more still found details missing altogether."

Full monty at The Register UK: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/02/21/samsung_find_my_phone_notification_questions/

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

There's a Samsung account management page is there? Where's that then?

Latest:

Samsung mystery notification may not have been as innocent as company first claimed

"Samsung has now admitted there was a data breach but claim it only affected “a small number” of customers.

"Given Samsung is the number one seller of smartphones globally, a “small number” of its users could still be a very sizeable amount.

"“A technical error resulted in a small number of users being able to access the details of another user,” a Samsung spokesperson told The Register."

At News dot com Australia: https://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/mobile-phones/samsung-mystery-notification-may-not-have-been-as-innocent-as-company-first-claimed/news-story/4fa64ee2069a4dd223ff1242853194a7

6 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"“A technical error resulted in a small number of users being able to access the details of another user,” a Samsung spokesperson told The Register."

Well, I couldn't. :( 

14 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Given Samsung is the number one seller of smartphones globally, a “small number” of its users could still be a very sizeable amount

Why is that?  Given their history I would not waste money on any of their products.  You can buy an iPhone that will last years.