Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Moving portals theory

ocpaul20

4 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

How many combined covens of chanting witches do you think it would take to get enough directional control and focus to do that?    If it was 7 multiplied by 7, seven times, that is only about 850,000 I think.  Somebody might be able to organize that many volunteers.

I’m 100% sure this is a Doctor Who story — probably an old Big Finish one I worked on yonks ago — but I can’t remember the title. Axis of Insanity? 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I am well aware that as you say "Haha, just no",  but the magnetic connection is unusual.

Is it?  The article mentions they're difficult to detect.

8 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I can see how you might have misinterpreted what I put down as being more woo than it was intended.  All I wanted to imply is that we have some tentative science regarding the ideas of wormholes, and this sort of phenomenon might be relevant to it if wormholes actually exist.

The article has nothing to do with wormholes, it's difficult to even call them portals as all they are is magnetic fields connecting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

I’m 100% sure this is a Doctor Who story — probably an old Big Finish one I worked on yonks ago — but I can’t remember the title. Axis of Insanity? 

—Jaylemurph 

Well, it’s vaguely like the start of “Nocturne”, but that was music, no witches. Could be Necromantia.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 3:27 PM, Rlyeh said:

All this and not one person has detected them?

So, oh wise one, how would I and others go about detecting the cause of such phenomena ?

Just now, ocpaul20 said:

So, oh wise one, how would I and others go about detecting the cause of such phenomena ?

Well, if they’re magnetic, a simple compass would detect them. Alternatively, due to thermal transfer depending on wether or not the connected locale is colder or warmer than where you are “now” you’d be able to detect the temperature differential. Also, every man and their dog now possess devices to take photos that are location and time stamped (location and time defined by connection to orbital satellites). 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ocpaul20 said:

If they're as common as you suggest you'd have plenty of opportunities.

11 hours ago, Piney said:

A "portal" would have to be a literal tear in spacetime and that tear wouldn't stop. (AKA "Big Rip") 

Thats if your understanding of spacetime is complete. 'tear' assumes spacetime is like a fabric and a tear would make a 'hole' in it which would keep on going - like a ladder in a stocking. That is a rather simplistic view of what I suspect is quite a complex subject.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Alternatively, due to thermal transfer depending on wether or not the connected locale is colder or warmer than where you are “now” you’d be able to detect the temperature differential.

Ghost hunters often report a drop in temperature in an area they consider a 'ghost' to be. So, could this be a portal which is being used by the ghost to manifest perhaps?

12 hours ago, Tuco's Gas said:

The hypothesis of "connective magnetic pathways" between earth and sun, used to enable ET spacecraft travel is bad science. If such a conduit existed (it doesn't) then the craft's own magnetic field would repel the ions in the magnetic path, thus denigrating and not enhancing propulsion.  And if the skin of the craft was a non-conductive material, then any alleged magnetic aid would not be available anyway. (Sorry if I sound nitpicky, I'm an electricity/electrodynamics nerd.)

Just my dos centavos.

Fair enough.

4 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

The article has nothing to do with wormholes, it's difficult to even call them portals as all they are is magnetic fields connecting.

I agree, the article doesn't refer to wormholes by name, but research has been done on creating magnetic wormholes that seemed to bear fruit.  While we have, as yet, no evidence of this happening in nature, we as a species are only taking our first tentative steps in this area of science.  Just because we can't put it in a bell jar, doesn't mean it's impossible.  I don't seriously think that the Solar magnetic pathways from the original article constitute a portal, but it does indicate a naturally occurring phenomenon that is a bit like a wormhole, in that it is subatomic and creates an assisted pathway for rapid transfer of energy across considerable distances.  I was only making a claim for a similarity of process, though in retrospect I didn't properly explain my position.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ocpaul20 said:

Ghost hunters often report a drop in temperature in an area they consider a 'ghost' to be. So, could this be a portal which is being used by the ghost to manifest perhaps?

Report being the operative word.

Bafflingly enough, despite the plethora of techturbation aids they had to hand, they never record it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Bafflingly enough, despite the plethora of techturbation aids they had to hand, they never record it.

I have seen it reported on an instrument on these shows numerous times. Do you watch them? No, probably not, so you can make such claims. "Never" is a very finalistic word and very often not accurate.

1 hour ago, ocpaul20 said:

I have seen it reported on an instrument on these shows numerous times. Do you watch them? No, probably not, so you can make such claims. "Never" is a very finalistic word and very often not accurate.

Who manage to get caught smoking evidence. 

• Haha 1

On 2/21/2020 at 7:04 PM, lilthor said:

My wife is convinced there is, somewhere, a portal that rains unmatched socks from our dryer.

That portal visits my dryer as well.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

That portal visits my dryer as well.

Which would suggest such portals are opened by harmonic frequencies that an active dryer matches just enough to open a small portal, not big enough to snag something like a pair of a Reg Grundy’s but roughly sock sized. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 2/21/2020 at 6:04 PM, lilthor said:

My wife is convinced there is, somewhere, a portal that rains unmatched socks from our dryer.

Haha....funny sync! I walked through one and retrieved a couple of new pair.  I still have them.  I swear to this as truth.  Long story....

The  portals are everywhere...we just don’t realize we have experienced them. Tricksters They are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Festina said:

Haha....funny sync! I walked through one and retrieved a couple of new pair.  I still have them.  I swear to this as truth.  Long story....

The  portals are everywhere...we just don’t realize we have experienced them. Tricksters They are. 

They are actually alive and highly intelligent - socks are there droppings. They are smart but messy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Hanslune said:

They are actually alive and highly intelligent - socks are there droppings. They are smart but messy.

To be sure, I think you are on to something here.  Yes, yes. :yes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanslune said:

You damn fool, do you know nothing of biology? The sock is the shed cocoon of the pupating organism.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

You damn fool, do you know nothing of biology? The sock is the shed cocoon of the pupating organism.

Yes of course I know that! You little cabbage have you forgotten the linear lunar feature of the 5th dimensional Sitves laws*? How could you have forgotten? Have you been sniffing Compound 321 AGAIN?

* for those slackers who are unaware of deep science the portals are a vibratory organism. They maintain several inter-dimensional structures simultaneously , one leaves cocoon (socks to us) laying about, another use socks to remove waste from it system and the third turns its socks into sushi burritos.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hanslune said:

Yes of course I know that! You little cabbage have you forgotten the linear lunar feature of the 5th dimensional Sitves laws*? How could you have forgotten? Have you been sniffing Compound 321 AGAIN?

* for those slackers who are unaware of deep science the portals are a vibratory organism. They maintain several inter-dimensional structures simultaneously , one leaves cocoon (socks to us) laying about, another use socks to remove waste from it system and the third turns its socks into sushi burritos.

One does not sniff Compound 321, you photo-luminous plankton. It’s ingested folically.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

One does not sniff Compound 321, you photo-luminous plankton. It’s ingested folically.

One does if one has any hope or pretense to being cool - only the socially awkward go the old-timers photo-luminous route. So very out of date were you born in the last billion years?

• Like 1

Suppose these portals exist. An object entering them has a velocity and momentum and mass. If the portal connects two different latitudes then there is a problem. The Earth at the equator turns at 1000mph.  At the poles the Earth turns at 0. Starting to see the problem? If nothing but air passed through then there would be winds of say 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700 mph. Birds and whatever would be shredded by these winds.

Has a plane been inexplicably blasted to pieces by such a portal event? Has the sound of this wind ever been heard? Has doppler radar ever caught  such an event? Has any astronomer ever noticed that the image that was collected contained the wrong stars seen through the portal?

People want to have BF or whatever stepping through a portal. Why should a portal take an entire object? Why doesn't the portal close up and leave half a person, half a plane, half a BF, etc. behind.

This idea of portals is ridiculous.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Suppose these portals exist. An object entering them has a velocity and momentum and mass. If the portal connects two different latitudes then there is a problem. The Earth at the equator turns at 1000mph.  At the poles the Earth turns at 0. Starting to see the problem? If nothing but air passed through then there would be winds of say 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700 mph. Birds and whatever would be shredded by these winds.

Has a plane been inexplicably blasted to pieces by such a portal event? Has the sound of this wind ever been heard? Has doppler radar ever caught  such an event? Has any astronomer ever noticed that the image that was collected contained the wrong stars seen through the portal?

People want to have BF or whatever stepping through a portal. Why should a portal take an entire object? Why doesn't the portal close up and leave half a person, half a plane, half a BF, etc. behind.

This idea of portals is ridiculous.

......but it is a nice plot device in fantasy and sci-fi stories.  We are time traveling right now but unfortunately its gonna take about 300 days to get to next year

• Like 5

I did mention that there would be speed problems moving from latitude to latitude. There are problems also with staying with the same latitude.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hanslune said:

sushi burritos.

:blink:

.......ermmmm.....yeaaahhhh.......

I...I.....I.....can really see you making and eating that.........and.... and.....and.....It was a worse visual than Harte's poetry......:unsure2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1