Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Moving portals theory

ocpaul20

11 hours ago, stereologist said:

This idea of portals is ridiculous.

How pompous. Science has made many assertions over the years from Earth being the centre of the Solar System to train travellers not being able to travel more than 30mph.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Piney said:

:blink:

.......ermmmm.....yeaaahhhh.......

I...I.....I.....can really see you making and eating that.........and.... and.....and.....It was a worse visual than Harte's poetry......:unsure2:

I've seem them - just a mix of sushi stuff inside a burrito wrapping. My relatives say they are fine. I suspect they are not based on customary usage and the laws of Watanabe.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ocpaul20 said:

How pompous. Science has made many assertions over the years from Earth being the centre of the Solar System to train travellers not being able to travel more than 30mph.

No, people made those assertions, and science corrected them. I can assure you no one mathematically or medically figured out you couldn't breath if you went faster than 30 mph they just stated it based on a biased opinion. As a matter of fact folks in the Nordic countries knew that was wrong because they could reach and exceed such speeds on skis and skates and had been doing so for centuries before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, ocpaul20 said:

Umm... I think you will find that the Platonic/Aristotelian model of what we call the solar system is pre-scientific revolution.  As for the fools who thought people couldn't breathe if travelling at 30mph on trains, to be fair, windscreens hadn't been invented yet, but they were idiots, so no excuses.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Hanslune said:

One does if one has any hope or pretense to being cool - only the socially awkward go the old-timers photo-luminous route. So very out of date were you born in the last billion years?

What sort of a gentle-sentient are you? You never ask a phloxian their age, it’s rude.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/25/2020 at 3:16 PM, Hanslune said:

sushi burritos.

Crime against humanity much?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hanslune said:

I've seem them - just a mix of sushi stuff inside a burrito wrapping. My relatives say they are fine. I suspect they are not based on customary usage and the laws of Watanabe.

Spam musubi is a big enough abortion........

......Gotta be an American idea........ :unsure2:

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Crime against humanity much?

There should be laws against such atrocities. :o

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Piney said:

Spam musubi is a big enough abortion........

......Gotta be an American idea........ :unsure2:

There should be laws against such atrocities. :o

In a Sushi place around here I saw they offered Hotdog Sushi. Like maki rolls with hotdogs in them.
I' don't even know.... Why would anybody do that??? :no:

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

In a Sushi place around here I saw they offered Hotdog Sushi. Like maki rolls with hotdogs in them.
I' don't even know.... Why would anybody do that??? :no:

Americans and cuisine......they soil everything they touch.....:hmm:

at least Brits try to keep everything tasteless instead of tasting yucky. :o

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ocpaul20 said:

How pompous of you.

First off science NEVER suggested that the Earth was the center of the Solar System.

Second off you are completely clueless with this statement: "train travellers not being able to travel more than 30mph" That wasn't science.

Instead of challenging anything I posted you opted to post two mistakes which made me laugh out loud.

Here are more blunders you can add to your list.

https://www.learning-mind.com/top-10-most-common-science-myths/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For those that want more thoughts on portals we can look at the analysis of the transporter idea in the Star Trek shows.

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/39295/in-star-trek-does-the-transporter-conserve-the-momentum-of-transported-objects

Let's go back to the problem with portals and being on the same latitude.

image.png.f56b50b8fa150d25ca5449b0d94720d5.png

In this view looking down on the Earth we see the position of two portals on the same latitude. The red and green lines are the direction of travel for points on the Earth. If the object moves from red to green through a portal it comes out fired upward. If it moves from green to red it appears fired downward. It's pretty simple to see that there would be a great disruption relative to the matter next to the portal creating a big shear unless the portals were incredibly close.

This idea of portals is like ghosts. People need to suspend everything but their Hollywood thinking to imagine this being a simple situation. Even the faintest knowledge of physics shows that portals would be easily detected if they existed.

People want to pretend that portals are only above the Earth and not in the Earth. Why would they not be in outer space as well draining the air from the Earth? Why would some not be in the Sun transferring huge amounts of energy into the atmosphere or to the Moon or other planets? Why not some portals inside of the Earth? Why don't they reveal themselves on weather satellites? Why are they never detected in images on Google earth?

• Like 2

On 2/25/2020 at 4:16 PM, Hanslune said:

sushi burritos.

Seriously, has anyone tried a sushi burrito?  This has made me sushirrito curious.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, stereologist said:

Suppose these portals exist. An object entering them has a velocity and momentum and mass. If the portal connects two different latitudes then there is a problem. The Earth at the equator turns at 1000mph.  At the poles the Earth turns at 0. Starting to see the problem? If nothing but air passed through then there would be winds of say 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700 mph. Birds and whatever would be shredded by these winds.

Has a plane been inexplicably blasted to pieces by such a portal event? Has the sound of this wind ever been heard? Has doppler radar ever caught  such an event? Has any astronomer ever noticed that the image that was collected contained the wrong stars seen through the portal?

People want to have BF or whatever stepping through a portal. Why should a portal take an entire object? Why doesn't the portal close up and leave half a person, half a plane, half a BF, etc. behind.

They do exist.  You’ve probably ‘walked’  through them yourself, you just didn’t realize it at the time as they are invisible.  Think of them as a ‘romance’ of two worlds — the seen and the ‘unseen’ — they seem the same, and yet they are different.  They blend, hence the romance.  I have socks [material items]  to prove their existence —  others may ‘retrieve’  other items — but for me it was two pairs of novelty socks, which I was never a fan of until the event.  One went missing for awhile,  but eventually it did turn up, probably stuck in some pant leg for a time.  I am more careful with these socks as they are my most cherished items — Physical Evidence that the event was real.  This is no joke. But it was amusing and intense. 

I did not know I had walked through a portal [I knew nothing of portals, at the time] but when I went back to the location it was different and the people that Peopled it were gone.  

Edited by Festina
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, stereologist said:

I did mention that there would be speed problems moving from latitude to latitude. There are problems also with staying with the same latitude.

1 hour ago, stereologist said:

For those that want more thoughts on portals we can look at the analysis of the transporter idea in the Star Trek shows.

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/39295/in-star-trek-does-the-transporter-conserve-the-momentum-of-transported-objects

Let's go back to the problem with portals and being on the same latitude.

image.png.f56b50b8fa150d25ca5449b0d94720d5.png

In this view looking down on the Earth we see the position of two portals on the same latitude. The red and green lines are the direction of travel for points on the Earth. If the object moves from red to green through a portal it comes out fired upward. If it moves from green to red it appears fired downward. It's pretty simple to see that there would be a great disruption relative to the matter next to the portal creating a big shear unless the portals were incredibly close.

This idea of portals is like ghosts. People need to suspend everything but their Hollywood thinking to imagine this being a simple situation. Even the faintest knowledge of physics shows that portals would be easily detected if they existed.

People want to pretend that portals are only above the Earth and not in the Earth. Why would they not be in outer space as well draining the air from the Earth? Why would some not be in the Sun transferring huge amounts of energy into the atmosphere or to the Moon or other planets? Why not some portals inside of the Earth? Why don't they reveal themselves on weather satellites? Why are they never detected in images on Google earth?

And furthermore...wouldn't portals be of differing sizes?  If a portal could take a bus or an airplane...why couldn't a portal take Two Thirds of the Grand Canyon or suck out most of the Amazon river?  Or close up leaving only half of the Earth in orbit around the sun and the other half who knows where?  

• Like 2

On 2/24/2020 at 10:33 AM, Desertrat56 said:

That portal visits my dryer as well.

It’s a hint.   

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, stereologist said:

Suppose these portals exist. An object entering them has a velocity and momentum and mass. If the portal connects two different latitudes then there is a problem. The Earth at the equator turns at 1000mph.  At the poles the Earth turns at 0. Starting to see the problem? If nothing but air passed through then there would be winds of say 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700 mph. Birds and whatever would be shredded by these winds.

Has a plane been inexplicably blasted to pieces by such a portal event? Has the sound of this wind ever been heard? Has doppler radar ever caught  such an event? Has any astronomer ever noticed that the image that was collected contained the wrong stars seen through the portal?

People want to have BF or whatever stepping through a portal. Why should a portal take an entire object? Why doesn't the portal close up and leave half a person, half a plane, half a BF, etc. behind.

You are overthinking it.  

One cannot find these portals....they find you! 

38 minutes ago, Festina said:

They do exist.  You’ve probably ‘walked’  through them yourself, you just didn’t realize it at the time as they are invisible.  Think of them as a ‘romance’ of two worlds — the seen and the ‘unseen’ — they seem the same, and yet they are different.  They blend, hence the romance.  I have socks [material items]  to prove their existence —  others may ‘retrieve’  other items — but for me it was two pairs of novelty socks, which I was never a fan of until the event.  One went missing for awhile,  but eventually it did turn up, probably stuck in some pant leg for a time.  I am more careful with these socks as they are my most cherished items — Physical Evidence that the event was real.  This is no joke. But it was amusing and intense. 

I did not know I had walked through a portal [I knew nothing of portals, at the time] but when I went back to the location it was different and the people that Peopled it were gone.  

I see so these imaginary portals can be imaginarily walked through. 

You have no evidence for anything other than a sock went missing that you later found? I suppose this is all a gag.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Festina said:

You are overthinking it.  

One cannot find these portals....they find you! 

Another way of saying they are imaginary.

• Like 2

As already pointed out the physics of the situation makes all of these portal stories impossible. You can't have portals as portrayed by the tv and movie industry. It makes for a fun fantasy or scifi situation, but as the physicists discussed in one of the links I posted it just can't happen.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 12:33 PM, Desertrat56 said:

That portal visits my dryer as well.

I gave up drying clothes for Lint.

Edited by joc
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, joc said:

I gave up drying close for Lint.

That's how I get my lint.  If you need any I have a bin full that I need to empty.  :lol:

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Another way of saying they are imaginary.

But I have physical evidence. Oh Yes indeedy. 

5 minutes ago, Festina said:

Actually you don't. Here is what you mentioned - a missing sock later found. That is not physical evidence of a portal. There are plenty of explanations for a missing sock.

7 minutes ago, Festina said:

I feel like if you had real, compelling evidence, your venue of choice for revealing that science would /not/ be UM.  

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, stereologist said:

I see so these imaginary portals can be imaginarily walked through. 

You have no evidence for anything other than a sock went missing that you later found? I suppose this is all a gag.

It not a gag.  The three ‘peoples’  in this ‘portal’  on the second floor of the store I was in suggested I buy novelty socks on the first floor again which I had no interest in and they were expensive to boot —  $9 a pair.  But I was compelled!  I was a t a Nordstrom store three thousand miles away from home.  I thought this event extremely curious at the time and was quite frankly a bit freaked out,  We talked, they knew who I was and yet I had never met them before.    If I didn’t have the socks I would not believe it happened.  Now that I think of it....another sync.  ‘Missing socks in the dryer.’ 

When I went back to the store to chat again with these folks the department where I met these ‘peoples’ was different and they, all three of them — were gone.  They were very attractive black people two women, and one very handsome tall  male.  They were a hoot.  And I still have the socks. Lol. It was real.