Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Moving portals theory

ocpaul20

29 minutes ago, BorizBadinov said:

a co-worker of mine some years ago related a tale of when he was part of a Job Corp program. He said he used to steal peoples shoes and throw them over the wires at night. After some time people began to realize his shoes remained untouched and he said he was forced to sacrifice his expensive shoes to the wire to escape being found out. :lol:

Please stop being sane and rational and challenging my obvious greater truth. Besides just because a co-worker was attempting to imitate portals does not mean that portals are not real.

• Haha 6

I had a lot of fun playing Portal 2, some of the puzzles were quite challenging. There is also a very large library of user submitted games, some of which are nothing short of genius.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 4:15 AM, Orphalesion said:

And the fun thing in Star Trek the "matter transporters" don't even work that way. They were made up for the 1960s version because filming landing sequences for the ship or shuttles would have been way too expensive.

By the 19 70s/80s a good chunk of the population (particularly the parts interested in SciFi) had become aware that any "realistic" teleporter would kill you and create a clone so the whole thing was handwaved by saying Trek transporters "only" rip you apart at the molecular level (while still keeping you alive, somehow) and then send those molecules at the speed of light to your destination. You are, supposedly, completely conscious during the whole process and can even move within the confines of the "transporter beam" (somehow, despite being ripped apart at the molecular level...) at one point two characters even have a conversation while being long-range transported and in another episode we see the transport happen from the POV of a character as well.

Of course, that doesn't even begin to make sense in real life, but the show needed an explanation that didn't include constantly killing and cloning their characters on-screen.

But I'm not sure how the problem with "realistic" tranporters would relate to the fantasy concept of portals. Wouldn't moving portals be the only the only way to have a form of teleportation that doesn't kill you? A character steps through a "moving portal" into another "world" and from that world through another "moving portal" back into ours, but at a different location? 

Kind of like Nightcrawler does with doing to that hell dimension and then back into ours?

Hmmm... being inside the transporter is reminiscent of the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 4:23 PM, joc said:

Megalithic or 366 Geometry - Thanks to the Babylonians, most of us believe there are 360 degrees in a circle. However, certain areas, particularly megalithic Britain, believed a circle had 366 degrees and some still believe this to be true today.

This is notably stupid as a belief.  You can literally divide circles up into as many or as few degrees as you wish.  The benefit of using 360 degrees was in the ease of calculation.  Adding another 6 degrees gets you literally nowhere.  For example 366/6=61=prime number, whereas 360/6=60 which is divisible by 1,2,3, 4,5,6, 10,12,15,30, and itself.  The point of geometry using 360 degrees is to facilitate better factorization.  You could use 170,983 degrees, but does it make calculations easier?  These days we use trigonometry for these problems anyhow as it is more precise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

This is notably stupid as a belief.  You can literally divide circles up into as many or as few degrees as you wish.  The benefit of using 360 degrees was in the ease of calculation.  Adding another 6 degrees gets you literally nowhere.  For example 366/6=61=prime number, whereas 360/6=60 which is divisible by 1,2,3, 4,5,6, 10,12,15,30, and itself.  The point of geometry using 360 degrees is to facilitate better factorization.  You could use 170,983 degrees, but does it make calculations easier?  These days we use trigonometry for these problems anyhow as it is more precise.

Lol  I never took Trig...I was doing well to get thru Alg I and II and Geometry.  But yeah...makes since.  I deal with circles all the time ...circles of water spray...90, 180, 360 degrees.  It would really suck having to think ...Okay a quarter circle is 91.5 degrees...

It is amazing what people believe though...amazing because it is so incredibly easy to be right about everything...all the time.  Here is the equation:

Laws of Physics = Right    Everything Else = Wrong

But if one throws into the equation the 'belief' factor....we get:     Any and Every Thing = I don't know...possible but we just don't know.

Water is always H20....always...it can not be H30 or H07...the Laws of Physics define Science.  If it doesn't involve the Laws of Physics...it isn't Science.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, joc said:

Lol  I never took Trig...I was doing well to get thru Alg I and II and Geometry.  But yeah...makes since.  I deal with circles all the time ...circles of water spray...90, 180, 360 degrees.  It would really suck having to think ...Okay a quarter circle is 91.5 degrees...

It is amazing what people believe though...amazing because it is so incredibly easy to be right about everything...all the time.  Here is the equation:

But if one throws into the equation the 'belief' factor....we get:     Any and Every Thing = I don't know...possible but we just don't know.

Water is always H20....always...it can not be H30 or H07...the Laws of Physics define Science.  If it doesn't involve the Laws of Physics...it isn't Science.

0!=1

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

0!=1

:tu:

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, joc said:

Hmm...   You do understand WHY water has to be H20 I hope?  It is because water in its purest form is comprised of two hydrogen atoms bonded to an oxygen atom.  Science is about measuring what happens in the natural world.  A H30 bond is possible briefly, such as in the auto-ionization of water.  In short, the number of bonds it can have is limited by the number of electrons it has.  Science didn't make the world this way, science observed the natural world's behavior and systematized it after figuring out what was going on via repeatable experiments, and now we know how to make chemical reactions perform reliably.

I would also suggest that if you are going to say: Laws of Physics = Right    Everything Else = Wrong, you might want to use an example from physics not chemistry to illustrate your point or else it just looks like you are saying: Joc understands the difference between Physics and Chemistry=Wrong  The education system failed Joc=Right.  Now if the education system gave you a terrible science teacher, as is often the case, that is bad for everyone, but did you try to meet the system half way or were you a disinterested student?   I mean, science is literally magic that actually works.  What is not to love about it?

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

QM showed that Chemistry IS Physics.

Harte

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Hmm...   You do understand WHY water has to be H20 I hope?  It is because water in its purest form is comprised of two hydrogen atoms bonded to an oxygen atom.  Science is about measuring what happens in the natural world.  A H30 bond is possible briefly, such as in the auto-ionization of water.  In short, the number of bonds it can have is limited by the number of electrons it has.  Science didn't make the world this way, science observed the natural world's behavior and systematized it after figuring out what was going on via repeatable experiments, and now we know how to make chemical reactions perform reliably.

I would also suggest that if you are going to say: Laws of Physics = Right    Everything Else = Wrong, you might want to use an example from physics not chemistry to illustrate your point or else it just looks like you are saying: Joc understands the difference between Physics and Chemistry=Wrong  The education system failed Joc=Right.  Now if the education system gave you a terrible science teacher, as is often the case, that is bad for everyone, but did you try to meet the system half way or were you a disinterested student?   I mean, science is literally magic that actually works.  What is not to love about it?

lol...my point is that Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Math, Astronomy, Medicine, et al = Science.  Science tells us what = Right.  Everything else doesn't.  Metaphysics doesn't.  Religion doesn't.  Water consists of 2 atoms of hydrogen and one atom of oxygen.  We know that because we KNOW that.  Not because we believe that could possibly be the case. And we KNOW that the laws of physics illustrate quite conclusively that a human body cannot walk on the surface of the ocean.

My rant wasn't at you...not at all...I just used your quote as a premise...I agree with you about practically everything.  The Sciences explain our world in ways that belief never can.  They are a rock solid foundation that any belief should be built on...and yet...they are denigrated by the 'belief crowd' as being somehow falling short of explaining our world. 

• Like 4

There is an idea called being thrown clear of an accident. The idea seems to be a justification for some people not to wear their seatbelts. They think that in a crash that if they step out of the car then they will just stand there and the car will be destroyed away from them.

This idea is also mentioned by people in the elevator problem. It is suggested that if they jump up and down in a falling elevator they might survive if they happen to be in a jump when the elevator impacts. These are examples of cases in which people do not understand the conservation of energy and momentum laws. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, stereologist said:

It is suggested that if they jump up and down in a falling elevator they might survive if they happen to be in a jump when the elevator impacts

:lol:   I never heard of that.  As for being thrown clear from the accident, many more people have died being thrown from the vehicle than have survived.  Usually the survivors have spinal injuries or head injuries that totally change their life.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

:lol:   I never heard of that.  As for being thrown clear from the accident, many more people have died being thrown from the vehicle than have survived.  Usually the survivors have spinal injuries or head injuries that totally change their life.

Exactly, but people talk about being thrown clear of an accident.

At a party one evening someone was talking about a recent balloon tragedy. One of the attendees says, and they were serious, "I'd just wait till the balloon was just above the ground and then I'd step out of the balloon before it hits the ground." That initiated a moment of stunned silence.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Exactly, but people talk about being thrown clear of an accident.

At a party one evening someone was talking about a recent balloon tragedy. One of the attendees says, and they were serious, "I'd just wait till the balloon was just above the ground and then I'd step out of the balloon before it hits the ground." That initiated a moment of stunned silence.

I have seen a ballooning tragedy.  There is no time to "step out of the balloon" and usually it is a collision with something when the wind changes suddenly.  There is no dropping slowly to the ground, that is why it is called a tragedy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I have seen a ballooning tragedy.  There is no time to "step out of the balloon" and usually it is a collision with something when the wind changes suddenly.  There is no dropping slowly to the ground, that is why it is called a tragedy.

Try explaining that to someone that doesn't understand how the world operates. They think you are nuts and do not understand their simple idea.

• Like 3

There once was a girl I held dear

Who one day engendered  great fear.

A child she did carry

But another she married

Of that accident I was thrown clear.

Harte

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harte said:

A child she did carry

But another she married

Harte

Have known others who were not so fortunate. "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" comes to mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 3/5/2020 at 11:49 PM, joc said:

My rant wasn't at you...not at all...I just used your quote as a premise...I agree with you about practically everything.  The Sciences explain our world in ways that belief never can.  They are a rock solid foundation that any belief should be built on...and yet...they are denigrated by the 'belief crowd' as being somehow falling short of explaining our world. 

LOL, pardon me if I thought you were aiming a roundhouse kick at science in general there joc.  To be fair, to the "belief crowd", if I was going to criticise science, I would say that science is quantitative, and it tells us about "what is".  What science doesn't pretend to address is issues of meaning about "what is", and the issue of the "whys" and the "what nows" are left pretty much unaddressed, which is unsurprising as they have nothing to do with the purview of science.  Most of these questions become issues of ethics and political philosophy, as society struggles to make sense of the world and build a coherent narrative from the presented facts.  Naturally religion has a vested interest in controlling this narrative, and doesn't like it when its assessment of the facts is proven to be based on superstitious traditions, seldom with any basis in reality.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 3/5/2020 at 5:15 PM, Harte said:

A child she did carry

But another she married

Harte

Harte, the woo milk is dangerously thin lately, Could Rupert or you hit the town tonight and recruit or kidnap spme of the good, fresh stuff?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Harte, the woo milk is dangerously thin lately, Could Rupert or you hit the town tonight and recruit or kidnap spme of the good, fresh stuff?

Fresh woo, sadly no, it all a bit rancid, stale and over seasoned with irrationality and ego sauce

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, kmt_sesh said:

I think town might be slightly deserted because of coronavirus, kmt_sesh ...

So not much around of any sort, whether worth kidnapping or not.

2 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Piney knows all the sweet, sweet milk of woo teats, but he refuses to invite them here.

Harte

• Haha 2

On 3/10/2020 at 5:48 PM, kmt_sesh said:

Oh there you are Jono! You were starting to worry me!

:yes:

On 3/10/2020 at 8:03 PM, Harte said:

Piney knows all the sweet, sweet milk of woo teats, but he refuses to invite them here.

Your thinking of my nights with the Satanist chicks. That's just teats in general.......firm, luscious teats....^_^

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Oh there you are Jono! You were starting to worry me!

:yes:

Your thinking of my nights with the Satanist chicks. That's just teats in general.......firm, luscious teats....^_^

There's no question that there is sweet, sweet milk of the woo teat there, if they believe in Satan.

Plus, they would have other associates... most of whom would have the rich, creamy woo teats as well as the general variety.

Harte

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Harte said:

Plus, they would have other associates... most of whom would have the rich, creamy woo teats as well as the general variety.

Now I fought my last fight I will maintain this bod for one reason.......teat. ^_^

• Like 2