Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

School lesson compares Trump to Nazis

79 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Eldorado

"Republican lawmakers in Maryland have criticized a history lesson at a public high school near Baltimore that compared US President Donald Trump with Nazis and communists.

"A slide used in an Advanced Placement history class at Loch Raven High School in Towson shows a picture of Trump above pictures of a Nazi swastika and a flag of the Soviet Union.

"Two captions read “wants to round up a group of people and build a giant wall” and “oh, THAT is why it sounds so familiar!” "

Full monty at the Times of Israel: https://www.timesofisrael.com/school-history-lesson-compares-trump-to-nazis-communists/

And the NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2020/02/22/us/ap-us-history-class-trump.html

And at NBC: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/school-history-lesson-compares-trump-nazis-communists-n1140891

  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar

Extremists do not need to be teaching. 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scholar4Truth

Hitler imprisoned Jews and others in concentration camps and had them exterminated. Last I checked Trump never did that. So the comparison to Hitler is faulty. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
1 minute ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Hitler imprisoned Jews and others in concentration camps and had them exterminated. 

Worth mentioning he did have 8 years in power before doing that. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doug1029
2 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Hitler imprisoned Jews and others in concentration camps and had them exterminated. Last I checked Trump never did that. So the comparison to Hitler is faulty. 

Except at the Mexican border where he keeps kids in jails until some of them have died.  There is less and less light showing between Trump and Hitler.

 

Before you start burning me at the stake, remember:  Hitler was elected Chancelor by the Reichstag.  Trump was elected President by the Electoral College.  Both imperfect expressions of the will of the people.  Both were initially quite popular.

Mussolini was appointed Il Duce by King Victor Emmanuel.  Mussolini was initially quite popular.

All quite legal.

 

People have voted democracies out of existence before.  I worry that it is happening again.

Doug

Edited by Doug1029
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acidhead
3 minutes ago, Doug1029 said:

Except at the Mexican border where he keeps kids in jails until some of them have died.  There is less and less light showing between Trump and Hitler.

Doug

Rumour has it Trump sent a team of doctors and surgeons down there to conduct medical experiments on the children. They're especially interested in twins for some strange reason.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doug1029
2 minutes ago, acidhead said:

Rumour has it Trump sent a team of doctors and surgeons down there to conduct medical experiments on the children. They're especially interested in twins for some strange reason.

That's no stranger than other conspiracy theories you hear from the right (and a few from the left, too.).

Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Professor Buzzkill
24 minutes ago, Doug1029 said:

Except at the Mexican border where he keeps kids in jails until some of them have died.  There is less and less light showing between Trump and Hitler.

Doug

I suppose Obama never did the same?

 

I'd say if anyone was a popularist president who got away with atrocities without media scrutiny, it was Mr Obama

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/sanders-accuses-trump-racist-child-prisons-similar-program/story%3fid=63663079

Edited by Professor Buzzkill
Link
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doug1029
1 minute ago, Professor Buzzkill said:

Not to this extent.  I realize that's no excuse.  Obama should have handled it better.  But Trump is many times worse than Obama.

Because the other guy did it, is not an excuse for you to do it.  hat only makes both of you guilty.

Doug

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blacknagus

If the shoe fits..... 

Still waiting on ANY republican/conservative to demand the removal of the DOCUMENTED WHITE NATIONALIST in Trump's cabinet, Stephen Miller. 
Besides, saw the same comparisons about Obama. 
So, goose/gander.  gander/goose. :) 
 

Edited by blacknagus
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Varelse

Even if there are similarities behind some of the normal German's who latched onto the Nazi party at the time and some of Trump's follower's today it's not a teacher's place to be planting that stuff in young kids' heads. Wait till they study it from all sides in University political degrees. Or Oliver Stone makes a movie about it.:P

Edited by Varelse
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doug1029
3 minutes ago, Varelse said:

Even if there are similarities behind some of the normal German's who latched onto the Nazi party at the time and some of Trump's follower's today it's not a teacher's place to be planting that stuff in young kids' heads. Wait till they study it from all sides in University political degrees. Or Oliver Stone makes a movie about it.

It was a high school assignment.  A teacher's job is to ask questions to get kids to think, not to decide what they think.  Besides, getting kids to think in a given way is a well-high-impossible task.  So teach them to think and don't be surprised at what they think.

Doug

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Agent0range
12 minutes ago, Professor Buzzkill said:

I suppose Obama never did the same?

I'd say if anyone was a popularist president who got away with atrocities without media scrutiny, 

 

 

So, you are saying that it is an atrocity?  Then stand against Trump!  Or, you're just playing a little game where you don't really care about kids in cages...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doug1029
6 minutes ago, Varelse said:

Even if there are similarities behind some of the normal German's who latched onto the Nazi party at the time and some of Trump's follower's today it's not a teacher's place to be planting that stuff in young kids' heads. Wait till they study it from all sides in University political degrees. Or Oliver Stone makes a movie about it.

I am hearing rumors that the Wobblies are organizing, but keeping everything low key.  If there are any Wobblies on UM, please PM me.  I need to get in touch with you.

Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blacknagus
5 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Extremists do not need to be teaching. 

Indeed.
The Trump regime is a perfect example. 
Ignore data, facts - hell, fire your own people if they don't say what you want them to say (even if it's contrary to the truth).  (..oh, I know...I know...those are all DEEP STATE OPERATIVES...  :D :D
You MAGAs are a hoot. 
A perfect example of the Dunning-Kruger affect on steroids. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doug1029
1 minute ago, Agent0range said:

So, you are saying that it is an atrocity?  Then stand against Trump!  Or, you're just playing a little game where you don't really care about kids in cages...

I stand against Trump.

Doug

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Agent0range
Just now, Doug1029 said:

I stand against Trump.

Doug

OK...I didn't quote you.  So do I...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
4 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"Republican lawmakers in Maryland have criticized a history lesson at a public high school near Baltimore that compared US President Donald Trump with Nazis and communists.

"A slide used in an Advanced Placement history class at Loch Raven High School in Towson shows a picture of Trump above pictures of a Nazi swastika and a flag of the Soviet Union.

"Two captions read “wants to round up a group of people and build a giant wall” and “oh, THAT is why it sounds so familiar!” "

Full monty at the Times of Israel: https://www.timesofisrael.com/school-history-lesson-compares-trump-to-nazis-communists/

And the NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2020/02/22/us/ap-us-history-class-trump.html

And at NBC: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/school-history-lesson-compares-trump-nazis-communists-n1140891

I think a School for Gifted Child should be able to discuss topics the way they choose. In some ways Trump can be compared to Adolf Hitler, especially in the manner he stirs up crowds at his rally's to the point of violence. President Trump can also sling Bull **** as well as Hitler ever did. They are so much alike in this respect that it should be obvious to anyone that is confronted with this observation. 

In addition the way illegal immigrants have been jailed, separated from their Children, and kept in substandard conditions where people and children have died is also something very reminiscent of how the Nazis treated Europes Jews in the beginning before they started Genocide. Now I dont beleive executions are going happen, but poor care of prisoners that results in death is criminal just the same and never be tolerated.

So I suppose I can understand some of the comparisons that were made at that school, but like The spokesman for the School stated these aren't your average kids, these kids have superior intellect and letting them decide what is right or wrong is part of what children with superior intellect should be able to do unopposed so they can continue to grow. It also appears to me that no  one is forcing these kids to beleive what their being taught one way or the other.

It seems the only ones trying to control the curriculum are Republicans who are not interested in the giving these children the right to think freely on their own, now to me that is a violation of the 1st Amendment of the Constitution,  better know as freedom of Speech. In my opinion if the children's parents do not mind the class curriculum all the Politicans should stay the hell out of that Schools business because their comments only make them look like Fools.

Peace

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Agent0range
3 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I think a School for Gifted Child should be able to discuss topics the way they choose. In some ways Trump can be compared to Adolf Hitler, especially in the manner he stirs up crowds at his rally's to the point of violence. President Trump can also sling Bull **** as well as Hitler ever did. They are so much alike in this respect that it should be obvious to anyone that is confronted with this observation. 

 

Exactly.  And the way he attributes the problems in this country to one group, be it Democrats or immigrants is very hitleresque. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Varelse
32 minutes ago, blacknagus said:

Indeed.
The Trump regime is a perfect example. 
Ignore data, facts - hell, fire your own people if they don't say what you want them to say (even if it's contrary to the truth).  (..oh, I know...I know...those are all DEEP STATE OPERATIVES...  :D :D
You MAGAs are a hoot. 
A perfect example of the Dunning-Kruger affect on steroids. 

Image result for holy cow

That describes the guy next to me at work to a t. We had been going with narcisist but this is a better fit. :lol:

also a good description of anyone who falls into the trap of only getting their news from one side and when they do venture across the isle they only retreat to back to their own biased sources for unconfirmation. 

Edited by Varelse
bold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Agent0range
1 minute ago, Varelse said:

Image result for holy cow

That describes the guy next to me at work to a t. We had been going with narcisist but this is a better fit. :lol:

also a good description of anyone who falls into the trap of only getting their news from one side and when they do venture across the isle they only retreat to back to their own biased sources for unconfirmation. 

You mean like Fox News?  John Kelly said it himself.  People that only watch Fox News are not informed citizens.  State run media.  Also, I only venture to the other side of the isle when the beaches are better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Varelse
34 minutes ago, Doug1029 said:

I am hearing rumors that the Wobblies are organizing, but keeping everything low key.  If there are any Wobblies on UM, please PM me.  I need to get in touch with you.

Doug

I try to keep myself useful enough to not need a union. Or so I'd like to think. :su

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tuco's Gas

It's heartening to see that Godwin's Law is alive and well in our public school system.

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Varelse
5 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

It's heartening to see that Godwin's Law is alive and well in our public school system.

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

If the shoe fits..you know the rest. Doesn't negate the here and now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.