Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has everyone asked God to reveal himself?

spartan max2

13 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

yes i asked & she appeared 

Thanks, can you elaborate?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Odd thread title, but I suspect this is a expierence many people have, so I'm curious.

I have some religious friends and religious family. I've been told (in the past, no one trys with me anymore lol) to try "praying to God to ask him to show himself to you". 

So naturally I did that. I did that for a while, multiple times in my life, and obviously nonething ever happened.

But my question is, has every atheist here also done that at some point in your life?

I suspect that this is common "advice" and a common expierence people have where religious people tell you to just pray for God to show and then, as open people, we try and of course nonething happens. 

And also to the Christians, have you done this? And what actually happened that you felt like was a supernatural being "showing" itself to you.

Probably tried it a number of times growing up. Being Catholic and wanting test limits, these type of things happen as a kid.

But perhaps God is like a kettle...... When watched it never boils? I don't know?! 

Haven't tried it since I became agnostic in perspective. 

Are you looking for direct feedback or something a kin to God works in mysterious ways?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Thanks, can you elaborate?

Pretty sure it's a joke.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Odd thread title, but I suspect this is a expierence many people have, so I'm curious.

I have some religious friends and religious family. I've been told (in the past, no one trys with me anymore lol) to try "praying to God to ask him to show himself to you". 

So naturally I did that. I did that for a while, multiple times in my life, and obviously nonething ever happened.

And also to the Christians, have you done this? And what actually happened that you felt like was a supernatural being "showing" itself to you.

Good question.

I’m neither Atheist or Christian at this time.  I don’t have a good label for myself because I don’t fully qualify as Deist or Agnostic.  

Anyway, yes I have done as you say, and God didn’t appear to me.....at that time.  And if someone said he did, you’d think him/her crazy.  And you may be right to think so.   But, God has “appeared” to me in other ways.  Those ways are probably the topic of another thread, and I’ve been here long enough to know that offering “proofs” doesn’t work anyway.

So, I’ll just say that whatever God is and how it is to be accessed is not something I can speak of with certainty.  I think faith works for just about everyone who chooses to pursue it properly in many areas.  So, faith is one avenue that a person can choose to “see” God in one sense.

In another sense, God can seen all around us and within us....according to some people, but people like myself will interject that for all of the beauty in the world, there is an equal amount of pain and sorrow.  So, that’s a wash.

Lastly, I’ll speak of personal experience.  If you are in your right mind....the things you experience are truth.  So, if God chooses to show himself to you, you will know it.  If not, then you don’t.  IMO.  FWIW.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Pretty sure it's a joke.

Ahh okay. With stuff I see on UM I honestly can't ever be sure lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Probably tried it a number of times growing up. Being Catholic and wanting test limits, these type of things happen as a kid.

But perhaps God is like a kettle...... When watched it never boils? I don't know?! 

Haven't tried it since I became agnostic in perspective. 

Are you looking for direct feedback or something a kin to God works in mysterious ways?

I guess both. For the people who felt that God answered a prayer of revealing himself, what happened that made them feel that way, be it direct feedback or mysterious round about ways. I'm just interested in what people say.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Good question.

I’m neither Atheist or Christian at this time.  I don’t have a good label for myself because I don’t fully qualify as Deist or Agnostic.  

Anyway, yes I have done as you say, and God didn’t appear to me.....at that time.  And if someone said he did, you’d think him/her crazy.  And you may be right to think so.   But, God has “appeared” to me in other ways.  Those ways are probably the topic of another thread, and I’ve been here long enough to know that offering “proofs” doesn’t work anyway.

So, I’ll just say that whatever God is and how it is to be accessed is not something I can speak of with certainty.  I think faith works for just about everyone who chooses to pursue it properly in many areas.  So, faith is one avenue that a person can choose to “see” God in one sense.

In another sense, God can seen all around us and within us....according to some people, but people like myself will interject that for all of the beauty in the world, there is an equal amount of pain and sorrow.  So, that’s a wash.

Lastly, I’ll speak of personal experience.  If you are in your right mind....the things you experience are truth.  So, if God chooses to show himself to you, you will know it.  If not, then you don’t.  IMO.  FWIW.

You can PM me how God appeared to you if you want.

I didn't make the thread to debate people, I'm honestly just curious about the rest of UMs expierence with this situation. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

I guess both. For the people who felt that God answered a prayer of revealing himself, what happened that made them feel that way, be it direct feedback or mysterious round about ways. I'm just interested in what people say.

There was a guy who used to be around here who was pretty awesome, IMO.  He had survived a near death experience and did something like 20 years of experimentation and documentation of ouija boards.  Anyway, at one time he experimented with the use of a mantra.  He went on a road trip using this technique and had astonishing results.....IMO.

I have never tried the mantra with intention, but I do know that some people claim it works.  

What I did was live a life of faith, believing.....and sometimes extraordinary and inexplicable things did in fact occur on occasion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Guyver said:

There was a guy who used to be around here who was pretty awesome, IMO.  He had survived a near death experience and did something like 20 years of experimentation and documentation of ouija boards

Paranormacy?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

Unfortunately, people who in their wrong mind...even psychotic...experience gods too. If memory serves, god-related delusions are, along with persecution complex, the two most common types of psychosis.

Just sayin. 

You say rightly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

@Guyver Do you know the thread of this mantra that ironghost used. You've peaked my curiosity.

His name is IronGhost.  I think you can search by member name and see his content.  It is substantial.....or was.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've never done so... because I ,usually,  believe in some sort of God....but ONE completely different than the popular versions.

most of the popular versions are versions resembling ourselves?    God forbid !! :lol:

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Ahh okay. With stuff I see on UM I honestly can't ever be sure lol.

yep, same for all of us-   lol

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Guyver said:

But, God has “appeared” to me in other ways.  Those ways are probably the topic of another thread, and I’ve been here long enough to know that offering “proofs” doesn’t work anyway.

Offering "proofs" always work. ;)though in this particular topic, there has not been any.

What does not work is offering 'feelings' or a "belief" as they are not "proofs". 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Will Due said:

Have you considered the possibility that this is why anything real, does not concern itself with you?

Does anything real concern itself with you? If so please explain your experience I am very interested hearing it.

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Thanks 1

Figured I'd drop a link.

https://psychcentral.com/blog/new-study-examines-the-effects-of-prayer-on-mental-health/

What are your deepest beliefs regarding the nature of God? When you pray, do you talk to a loving, protective and easily accessible God? Or does God feel strangely distant and unreachable? Perhaps a disciplinarian? A new study says that your beliefs about the “character” of God determine the effects of prayer on your mental health.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Does anything real concern itself with you?

Yes, Faith.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Yes, Faith.

I understand now, God has also never spoken directly to you either.

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I understand now

That depends on what you concern yourself with.

11 minutes ago, Will Due said:

That depends on what you concern yourself with.

I am truly sorry for offending your Christian sensibilities, I only asked a simple question. If you can't answer it I understand and I have no problem with that, I will not bother you any further.

Peace

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked