Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has everyone asked God to reveal himself?

spartan max2

1 hour ago, Liquid Gardens said:

The judging should be the other way around:  Spartacus > Jesus. 

You lost me on that one, mate.:huh:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

It is indicative of one who is here to preach and proselytize their own arrogance as opposed to engaging in respectful quality discussions.

I know. Read post 247.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I know. Read post 247.

:nw:
Excellence.

For me, this is the beauty of your application of faith, observable just in the person you are. 

I want to see who one becomes  as a result of their beliefs as if I am looking at a living breathing painting.

The proselytizer claiming they are bound by some self appointed duty is a charlatan, to be ignored. IMHO. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

As an exalted idea of self. All powerful, all knowing, immortal. Free to do whatever it wishes, both kind and cruel. A power fantasy of sorts.

I wonder what the point of this is?

16 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

Thats not a "god" then, it's just a concept, a comforting thought, an idea, and nothing of real substance.....nothing that would "reveal" itself. 

I think hammer is just saying god is whatever you want or don't want him, her, it to be. It’s personal and that is where it belongs. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I wonder what the point of this is?

I don't know. Some treat god like a surrogate parent. Guess it feels an emotional need.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

Thats not a "god" then, it's just a concept, a comforting thought, an idea, and nothing of real substance.....nothing that would "reveal" itself. 

Everything you experience, is in your head, fed to it by external sensory input and internal contemplation and conceptualization. Life, as we experience it, is a summation of data input. God is as much a concept as your own self-identity is--and exists in the same place, insofar as you experience either.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I think hammer is just saying god is whatever you want or don't want him, her, it to be. It’s personal and that is where it belongs. 

God is interactive. One gets as much out of the God experience as one puts into it. God is as real as any idea in your head and just as intangible. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

I don't know. Some treat god like a surrogate parent. Guess it feels an emotional need.

You are far more gracious than me I think it is self righteous and judgmental.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

As an exalted idea of self. All powerful, all knowing, immortal. Free to do whatever it wishes, both kind and cruel. A power fantasy of sorts.

More like the Universe as an entity., both kind and cruel in it's indifferent reality. Man learn long ago how to manipulate the physical world to his advantage. To interact with the Universe on the nonphysical plane, required the anthropomorphizing of it into Gods and Demons, that coalesced, conceptually, into a unified deity.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Crikey said:

I'm not trying to "promote" anything mate, but if I can give people a new perspective on things that's fine..:D

Why do you seek to impose your perspective on others? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

You lost me on that one, mate.:huh:

Spartacus sheetA.jpg

Just semi-jokingly comparing two historical figures whose verified details are murky, and arguing that based on the generalities of their respective histories that Spartacus was perhaps superior to Jesus and some of his teachings.  I know which of the two had the more courageous response concerning the subject of slavery:  Spartacus:  after escaping from the life of a gladiator, built and led multi-year slave rebellion against Rome amassing tens of thousands of followers and scoring military victories against Rome; New Testament:  "Slaves, obey your earthly masters"...

Edited by Liquid Gardens
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Spartacus sheetA.jpg

Just comparing two historical figures whose verified details are murky, and arguing that based on the generalities of their respective histories that Spartacus was perhaps superior to Jesus and some of his teachings.  I know which of the two had the more courageous response concerning the subject of slavery:  Spartacus:  after escaping from the life of a gladiator, built and led multi-year slave rebellion against Rome amassing tens of thousands of followers and scoring military victories against Rome; New Testament:  "Slaves, obey your earthly masters"...

Ignore the movies. Spartacus led his followers all the way to Northern Italy and defeated the last professional Roman army between themselves and freedom, only to turn back because his followers were intent on keeping on fighting and looting and pillaging. The idea of becoming anonymous nobodies on the other side of the Alps held little appeal for themselves and even Spartacus. The idea of exchanging the role of a general for that of a farmer wasn't to his liking. So, at their insistence, he turned back. They had actually won and gave up victory and freedom. The idea he was some sort of noble freedom-fighter is the myth. Most of his followers weren't escaped slaves, they were the social outcasts, the dispossessed, also unemployed foreign mercenaries such as Gaels and Germans, tens of thousands of them. 

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Spartacus sheetA.jpg

Just semi-jokingly comparing two historical figures whose verified details are murky, and arguing that based on the generalities of their respective histories that Spartacus was perhaps superior to Jesus and some of his teachings.  I know which of the two had the more courageous response concerning the subject of slavery:  Spartacus:  after escaping from the life of a gladiator, built and led multi-year slave rebellion against Rome amassing tens of thousands of followers and scoring military victories against Rome; New Testament:  "Slaves, obey your earthly masters"...

I assume that interpretation comes from Mark 12?

Paying Taxes to Caesar
15But Jesus saw through their hypocrisy and said, “Why are you testing Me? Bring Me a denarius to inspect.” 16So they brought it, and He asked them, “Whose likeness is this? And whose inscription?” “Caesar’s,” they answered. 17Then Jesus told them, “Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.” And they marveled at Him.…

To me that statement and passage begs a question. What is God's and what is Ceaser's? I think and the passage seem to indicate they each own what they created.  From the perspective of a believer in a creator God, then since God created everything, everything would be long to him. Since Ceasar only created money, than give his money back to him, but everything else is God's.

That statment though veiled, seems rather rebellious and rather cunningly so, since in the passage he is avoiding a trap laid for him.

Edited by WanderingFool0
addition

40 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

The idea of becoming anonymous nobodies on the other side of the Alps held little appeal for themselves and even Spartacus.

What's the source for this seemingly very detailed insight into Spartacus' internal motivations?

My comparison doesn't rely on Spartacus being a freedom fighter, it relies on their actions.  Spartacus attacked the Roman military (/govt) that enslaved him; Jesus attacked moneychangers because he apparently wasn't apparently serious when he said that this is not his kingdom.  Courage-wise?  Point - Spartacus.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

What's the source for this seemingly very detailed insight into Spartacus' internal motivations?

My comparison doesn't rely on Spartacus being a freedom fighter, it relies on their actions.  Spartacus attacked the Roman military (/govt) that enslaved him; Jesus attacked moneychangers because he apparently wasn't apparently serious when he said that this is not his kingdom.  Courage-wise?  Point - Spartacus.

Courage-wise? They both ended up executed Roman-style, nailed to a cross. One didn't intend to be and one did. 

5 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Mostly remembered from classical history in college almost half a century ago. Hollywood isn't a very reliable history source in most respects. It doesn't even accurately portray written fiction. This link contains some of the more pertinent details.

• Like 3

On 2/26/2020 at 3:29 AM, Crazy Horse said:

Well I agree its not for everyone...

But if it works for me, then it may work for other folk too?

I mean, its possible.

It's possible. It's also possible that your advice is bad for others. That's what I figure you are ignoring. I find that a common theme in most religious style outlooks. Many consider good fortune acts of God, but they are not. One might pray to God for assistance and find a 50 dollar bill in the ground and thank god for that, whilst half an hour later a single parent might be searching that same area for their kids food money they lost. No offence, but I think it's a very selfish outlook. 

Perception, reaction, feelings...

A good, positive perception will lead to a good, positive reaction, which in turn will lead to a good, positive feeling. 

As long as that's not taken advantage of, which is more common today than genuine reciprocation. 

So in actual fact, it could well be of value to other folks too..

I don't think so. I think people have to want what you are selling to begin with. So it's preaching to the choir. As you can see here, the majority of posters have not embraced your outlook. It's because the world is what it is. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Courage-wise? They both ended up executed Roman-style, nailed to a cross. One didn't intend to be and one did. 

According to wiki he died during battle, although there are also claims his body was never found.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WanderingFool0 said:

I assume that interpretation comes from Mark 12?

Ephesians 6:5 and the same phrase is in Collosians too.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, psyche101 said:
On 2/25/2020 at 12:29 PM, Crazy Horse said:

Well I agree its not for everyone...

But if it works for me, then it may work for other folk too?

I mean, its possible.

It's possible. It's also possible that your advice is bad for others. That's what I figure you are ignoring. I find that a common theme in most religious style outlooks. Many consider good fortune acts of God, but they are not. One might pray to God for assistance and find a 50 dollar bill in the ground and thank god for that, whilst half an hour later a single parent might be searching that same area for their kids food money they lost. No offence, but I think it's a very selfish outlook. 

I strongly feel a very profound thought provoking point you made there. Kudos for that. :tu:

Yeah, like that money came straight from the sky from God? It came from somewhere else so is this the God providing for one person from  taking from another?

It’s almost like the black box theory I like to bring up. You could choose to press the button on the black box and get everything you want providing that you know you’re killing somebody else that you don’t know. And I think things to digest from this, is that they’ll be somebody later on to get what they want more than likely at this expense of your life. I’m sure he’ll feel more than happy to present button and add you for their good fortune. I think people really need to think long and hard about this and see where their good fortune is really good fortune in the honest sense of not. 
thank you for pointing this out.

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

According to wiki he died during battle, although there are also claims his body was never found.  

Yes, and according to others, he was crucified with his men. Once again, we're back to what one chooses to believe.:)

11 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I wasn't talking about the atheist meme, I was talking about the meme you responded to with the atheist meme.

I don't care what you think.  That was my question to you, why do you care whether someone disagrees with your picture of reality?

I don't care whether somebody agrees with me or not.

I do care what the consequences are to certain beliefs

10 hours ago, Scudbuster said:

I would say that ignorant, power hungry, men made up this fallacy in the first place. Why? the lust for control, for influence, the power to "reign" over others, all these "not the most desirable" human traits are the root cause genesis for these 'gods" in the first place.

Well in my opinion, Jesus was a rebel, He was a heretic who threatened the cushy lives of the religious establishment.

My perception is that Christs message is a very powerful and liberating one.

And this is why "they" twisted it into a dead, emasculated, dogmatic, "just believe" type of theology, and yes, for control, influence and power.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

As long as that's not taken advantage of, which is more common today than genuine reciprocation. 

I don't think so. I think people have to want what you are selling to begin with. So it's preaching to the choir. As you can see here, the majority of posters have not embraced your outlook. It's because the world is what it is. 

Well, that not for you to judge, but for other folks to decide, and discern for themselves. And I don't consider good fortune acts of God, but the karmic results of ones own good deeds. And I have never asked God for material assistance. Personally, I tend to think that not sharing ones own insights, something you have found to be very valuable within your own life, to be a very selfish attitude.

That's your perception, and your truth. It is not my perception, its not my experience, and therefore, it is not my truth. 

I am not selling anything. I am giving an honest opinion born from a day to day experience. That's there choice and I wish them well. 

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked