Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has everyone asked God to reveal himself?

spartan max2

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

The virus?

I'm so glad you brought that up. :D

Reveal hidden contents

If one man craves freedom—liberty—he must remember that all other men long for the same freedom. Groups of such liberty-loving mortals cannot live together in peace without becoming subservient to such laws, rules, and regulations as will grant each person the same degree of freedom while at the same time safeguarding an equal degree of freedom for all of his fellow mortals. If one man is to be absolutely free, then another must become an absolute slave. And the relative nature of freedom is true socially, economically, and politically. Freedom is the gift of civilization made possible by the enforcement of LAW.

134:6.2

Religion makes it spiritually possible to realize the brotherhood of men, but it will require mankind government to regulate the social, economic, and political problems associated with such a goal of human happiness and efficiency.

134:6.3

There shall be wars and rumors of wars—nation will rise against nation—just as long as the world’s political sovereignty is divided up and unjustly held by a group of nation-states. England, Scotland, and Wales were always fighting each other until they gave up their respective sovereignties, reposing them in the United Kingdom.

134:6.4

Another world war will teach the so-called sovereign nations to form some sort of federation, thus creating the machinery for preventing small wars, wars between the lesser nations. But global wars will go on until the government of mankind is created. Global sovereignty will prevent global wars—nothing else can.

134:6.5

The forty-eight American free states live together in peace. There are among the citizens of these forty-eight states all of the various nationalities and races that live in the ever-warring nations of Europe. These Americans represent almost all the religions and religious sects and cults of the whole wide world, and yet here in North America they live together in peace. And all this is made possible because these forty-eight states have surrendered their sovereignty and have abandoned all notions of the supposed rights of self-determination.

134:6.6

It is not a question of armaments or disarmament. Neither does the question of conscription or voluntary military service enter into these problems of maintaining world-wide peace. If you take every form of modern mechanical armaments and all types of explosives away from strong nations, they will fight with fists, stones, and clubs as long as they cling to their delusions of the divine right of national sovereignty.

134:6.7

War is not man’s great and terrible disease; war is a symptom, a result. The real disease is the virus of national sovereignty.

134:6.8

Nations have not possessed real sovereignty; they never have had a sovereignty which could protect them from the ravages and devastations of world wars. In the creation of the global government of mankind, the nations are not giving up sovereignty so much as they are actually creating a real, bona fide, and lasting world sovereignty which will henceforth be fully able to protect them from all war. Local affairs will be handled by local governments; national affairs, by national governments; international affairs will be administered by global government.

134:6.9

World peace cannot be maintained by treaties, diplomacy, foreign policies, alliances, balances of power, or any other type of makeshift juggling with the sovereignties of nationalism. World law must come into being and must be enforced by world government—the sovereignty of all mankind.

134:6.10

The individual will enjoy far more liberty under world government. Today, the citizens of the great powers are taxed, regulated, and controlled almost oppressively, and much of this present interference with individual liberties will vanish when the national governments are willing to trustee their sovereignty as regards international affairs into the hands of global government.

134:6.11

Under global government the national groups will be afforded a real opportunity to realize and enjoy the personal liberties of genuine democracy. The fallacy of self-determination will be ended. With global regulation of money and trade will come the new era of world-wide peace. Soon may a global language evolve, and there will be at least some hope of sometime having a global religion—or religions with a global viewpoint.

134:6.12

Collective security will never afford peace until the collectivity includes all mankind.

134:6.13

The political sovereignty of representative mankind government will bring lasting peace on earth, and the spiritual brotherhood of man will forever insure good will among all men. And there is no other way whereby peace on earth and good will among men can be realized.

Source

? That dosen't answer the question at all lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

In the olden days when I was in grade school all 5th graders were tested.  In the 80's only kids that were recommended for special ed (which included the gifted program) were tested. 

Hi Desertrat

Could be, I remember some guy I didn't trust asking a bunch of questions at the end of grade 3 or beginning of grade 4 but I thought it had something to do with me getting strapped religiously. I remember him getting quite frustrated when he asked what kind of animal I would like to be and I told him I was a boy and liked being a boy then he insisted that I choose one so I said a horse. He asked why and I said people chain dogs up and if I was a horse I could decide if I would allow a  person to get on my back. He didn't seem to like that answer.:huh::lol:

I have never known what my IQ is/was just like I have never know what my blood type is because I had jaundice as a child and was told I would never be allowed to donate blood so it didn't matter.

jmccr8

• Like 4

Just now, spartan max2 said:

? That dosen't answer the question at all lol.

Perhaps but it certainly does answer another question asked a lot around here. Which is a beautiful thing when everything is considered in where God reveals himself and reveals things about what is good for us in fighting disease. :D:tu:

It would seem that I have used up all my likes one would think that during times like this there would be some allowances made to extend our likes.:hmm:

jmccr8

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Perhaps but it certainly does answer another question asked a lot around here. Which is a beautiful thing when everything is considered in where God reveals himself and reveals things about what is good for us in fighting disease. :D:tu:

That doesn't mean anything either.

Do you ever have any thoughts that are your own and not from "the book that shall not be mentioned" ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Just now, jmccr8 said:

It would seem that I have used up all my likes one would think that during times like this there would be some allowances made to extend our likes.:hmm:

jmccr8

Just gave you one from me. Use it wisely. :P

• Haha 5

Just now, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Just gave you one from me. Use it wisely. :P

Hi Noteverythingisaconspiracy

jmccr8

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

That doesn't mean anything either.

Do you ever have any thoughts that are your own and not from "the book that shall not be mentioned" ?

No!

cormac

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

"the book that shall not be mentioned" ?

donald-trump.jpg

Edited by Will Due
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Have you considered Scotch Brite ? :P

Not manly enough. A brillo pad might work. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, third_eye said:

You've never really laid eyes on me in my glorious birthday suit have ya? 

If I am "hot" then jabba the Hut is the sexiest slug in the Galaxy... 

*shudder*

~

You got a Confucius Bruce Lee vibe, don’t sell yourself short. 

Your worthy of Stubbs next life harem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Lots of people have asked God to reveal himself.

So he did. :D

The Urantia Book is how he did it this time. 

4 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Lots of people have asked God to reveal himself.

So he did. :D

The Urantia Book is how he did it this time. 

Hi Will

So god took himself out of one book that was questionable and put himself in another book that is even more questionable, doesn't seem to get the picture maybe he should do a deal with Marvel comics.

jmccr8

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

So god took himself out of one book that was questionable and put himself in another book that is even more questionable, doesn't seem to get the picture maybe he should do a deal with Marvel comics.

The Asgardians beat him to the punch and told him to scram.....

.Then again if you read the old accounts, Canaanite gods are about as sharp as marbles.........

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Piney said:

The Asgardians beat him to the punch and told him to scram.....

.Then again if you read the old accounts, Canaanite gods are about as sharp as marbles.........

Which old accounts are you referring to?

3 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Which old accounts are you referring to?

A bunch of Ugaritic tablets. 

• Like 6

On 4/1/2020 at 7:44 PM, psyche101 said:

You're not spreading knowledge. You are lecturing. You don't seem to be able to grasp that one person's heaven is another's hell. Some people don't want to extend life to great lengths. Lying in a bed helpless to a point where others have to clean your poop doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather go before that stage. Yet it's against the law to die. Did you have a chuckle at the cigarette song I posted for you recently? Listen to the words. 

The studies say certain habits lead to longevity. Not that all should apply that. You do say that.

Your life experience is all you have to draw on, and your elevated ego makes you think everyone wants to be you. That simply isn't the case. You seem happy with how you see your life, so good for you. But that's not going to work for everyone no matter how impressed with yourself you are. That's like your god stories. Not transferrable.

I have shown you studies that outright state money will make you live longer than religion.

A study conducted by University College London (UCL) has found that those who are the richest tend to live far longer free from illness and disability than those who are the poorest.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/rich-people-live-longer-poor-health-money-wealth-a9283321.html%3famp

That contradicts your philosophy.

See how I formatted that nicely in one paragraph without walls of unformatted text ruining the page for phone posters? Good isn't it. I'm on a phone too. 

Why do you think I care? I mean really. What is the pont of details like that?

Your philosophy would say that is stupid because if you kept it all you could live a longer and a healthier life. So could your wife.

Yes you are biased and obviously rather frustrated at being told it's something you don't comprehend. It's not something you can Google, and the fact that you have Googled the subject pretty much cements that. Whilst your experience is clearly non existent in this area, you seem to find that offensive and insist you know about something that you quite clearly don't. Bad biological parents have nothing to do with that bond. Not does loving a child whom you are not biologically related to. The more you protest the subject, the more you ostracise yourself from it. You don't realise how often you do this. 

Who said it had anything to do with religion? I was using that instance as an example of an area in life that you have not experienced. Despite your grandiose claims, your can learn from others although you seen to see yourself as the ultimate answer to existence. You can't learn anything because in your head, you already know it all. 

Your pleading does not change anything. Fact is, it is far more likely that you are the source of your god. I've said why. We have lots of proof of many varying human mental conditions from very mild to very severe, and none whatsoever of gods or god like creatures. No matter how many times you post otherwise, that fact doesn't change. 

There is no reason at all to consider that as an accurate assessment. You speak of God and religion, regardless of your abstract variations, very regularly. How is it different to people reconstructing spiritual beliefs out of Abrahmic and ancient Egyptian belief systems? Or Wills beloved UB? Fictions based on an original ancient superstition. 

What you don't seem to understand is that some find no use for faith and tend to avoid it. Faith is unstable 

On a written forum the only way to spread knowledge is to lecture and inform, and hope people listen.

And the point is that things like belief and faith don't JUST extend life, the y extend both physical and mental well being in older people  reducing depression and increasing happiness/satisfaction. 

I dont say everyone should apply them. Its an individual choice as long as it doesn't begin to cost me anything. 

and ive show you studies that show wealth only  goes so far.Really wealthy people are less happy than those whose needs are met, Not sure on the stats but it hnk moderately well off people live longer than both very poor and very rich when you compare similar cohorts .

I realise you cant accept my"god" is real But it is not a product of my mind which can be demonstrated by its actual physical properties ie others can see hear and feel it

Because of my own experiences i believe that, alongside people who make up a god construct from their minds  to meet their own  needs there have always existed many humans who have experienced a physical contact/connection with this being (or beings) They interpret it through their own level of technology, understanding of their world, and of their  science  Thus a space ship navigator from 200 years in the future will have a different knowledge understanding  of such a being, from myself, and from someone from  200 or 10000 years ago 

It wont ever go away

EVERY human being uses general faith every day.

Religious faith is different About 6-10 % of humans seem to be able to manage without such a spiritual type of faith  (I am one of them. I lived 22 happy and content years  as an atheist  ) However even an atheists faith serves the same purposes as a theists and is often just couched in different terms.

I learn many things every day However after 70 years of learning, and making both a hobby and a profession of it, it is true that my mind contains a lot more knowledge, on a lot more topics, than most people's.

That's just the way it is . You don't read over a million words a week without constantly learning things. You don't watch media or talk with dozens of people every day without learning stuff.

its funny you should critique me on child and human development/ physical and emotional bonding

I know and understand its nature at both a physical and emotional level and have a background in it academically 

Yep being  a physical parent creates endorphins and other chemical attachments These can be created by fostering or adopting a child.

Sure a  natural parent might choose to love their child completely ( although far too many do not ) An adoptive or foster parent can give exactly the same level of love 

To think otherwise is to delude yourself that  natural parenting is something special, unique, and  unable to be duplicated in a relationship CHOSEN by a non biological parent 

My  professional experience with children is wide and long  However my personal experience has been with children abandoned and unloved by their naturla parents and establishing a relationship of love and respect so they can grow their own sense of self worth and learn to love themselves and others

While i respect the bond of natural, parenting it is unreliable, biologically driven, and often short lived. When you choose to love a child as your own, that is an inner conscious choice, and thus is permanent,   and comes with an understood permanent duty and responsibility, rather than a chemical  drive which is unreliable and temporary and may even be resented by the parent   Of course most biological parents (and all the good ones) consciously adopt this commitment of love and duty/responsibility to their child, which will last 'til either  parent or child dies 

Edited by Mr Walker

30 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

On a written forum the only way to spread knowledge is to lecture and inform, and hope people listen.

And the point is that things like belief and faith don't JUST extend life, the y extend both physical and mental well being in older people  reducing depression and increasing happiness/satisfaction. 

I dont say everyone should apply them. Its an individual choice as long as it doesn't begin to cost me anything. 

and ive show you studies that show wealth only  goes so far.Really wealthy people are less happy than those whose needs are met, Not sure on the stats but it hnk moderately well off people live longer than both very poor and very rich when you compare similar cohorts .

I realise you cant accept my"god" is real But it is not a product of my mind which can be demonstrated by its actual physical properties ie others can see hear and feel it

Because of my own experiences i believe that, alongside people who make up a god construct from their minds  to meet their own  needs there have always existed many humans who have experienced a physical contact/connection with this being (or beings) They interpret it through their own level of technology, understanding of their world, and of their  science  Thus a space ship navigator from 200 years in the future will have a different knowledge understanding  of such a being, from myself, and from someone from  200 or 10000 years ago 

It wont ever go away

EVERY human being uses general faith every day.

Religious faith is different About 6-10 % of humans seem to be able to manage without such a spiritual type of faith  (I am one of them. I lived 22 happy and content years  as an atheist  ) However even an atheists faith serves the same purposes as a theists and is often just couched in different terms.

I learn many things every day However after 70 years of learning, and making both a hobby and a profession of it, it is true that my mind contains a lot more knowledge, on a lot more topics, than most people's.

That's just the way it is . You don't read over a million words a week without constantly learning things. You don't watch media or talk with dozens of people every day without learning stuff.

MW, you are a newbie on argumentation, you are following the typical route. First you google and paste expert opinions as your argument you use personal opinion as opposed to informed opinion, now you are at statistic this statistic that this is just another version of google cut and paste. 

Listen, you really want to learn how to have stand out arguments eighty is the king, he is literally the reason I got an A in Philosophy, he knows his stuff. His example is exemplary, Psyche is no slouch either, ( I think he is self taught) Cormac is incredible too and LG is a bad ass too.

Of course you don’t have to, but you are not at the level you claim at all. Lol 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, Sherapy said:

https://www.healthline.com/health/alzheimers-disease/difference-dementia-alzheimers#dementia

I am not saying your wife is depressed I am saying you are reacting to this information with blind denial. 

People get depressed, especially our elders. It is common, know the signs of depression and be on alert for them. 

How is she with her ADL’s?  

Social interaction is imperative for a functioning brain. 

No,social interaction is NOT imperative for a functioning brain, although this is a common misconception (possibly because many people find isolation psychologically disturbing)  It certainly is helpful but not imperative.

Most humans ENJOY social interaction   However a mind can split itself into many compartments and so no human being is ever truly alone.

The y always have different elements of their mind to converse with, debate  and discuss things with.

I'm finding it a bit hard limiting my social interaction as I am used to dealing closely with a hundred or more people a day while working and 30 or so every day since retiring  But as one who  lived alone on a small offshore island for 3 months  except for occasional visits by people, I know that i don't NEED social interaction for my mind to remain highly functional  indeed living truly  alone often requires an exercise of mental skills that are not needed when you are supported by a community 

My wife has me pretty well 24 /7 She has her sister come and stay a couple of days every fortnight, she has a couple of hours of contact with her home help each week   She visits with an elderly lady for a couple of hours a week. She occasionally visits friends and relative  However she is in contact with a  dozen friends and relatives online every day..

However as I  said, she is like me. Either from genes or her parenting she has never been depressed in the 50 years I have known her The last time i saw her cry was 30 years ago and the only other time on the day i met her 19/08/72)  In both cases she was grieving the unexpected loss of a loved one 

She is not like me(and Iam guessing you) She doesn't get a buzz from  social contact She would rather  spend time reading, listening to music, being with the dogs and cat , or just enjoying nature  

She is self sufficient in 99% of her ADLS and doesn't like me helping unless asked.

She is slower because of her stroke and in more pain from various problems but she manages her adls entirely by hersef excpet for megeingthe food ,taking out the rubbish putting  a pillow behind her back manicuring her nails and reaching places to treat which she cant reac

We use professionals to maintain a safe environment and the house is filled with aids from grab rails to  commodes :) 

Heating expenses are high and without solar batteries and panels would be almost  $6000 dollars a year.  However ,with them, the total bill is about $2000 (she needs a warm environment because she has Raynaud's disease, which limits circulation to fingers and toes )

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

No,social interaction is NOT imperative for a functioning brain, although this is a common misconception (possibly because many people find isolation psychologically disturbing)  It certainly is helpful but not imperative.

Most humans ENJOY social interaction   However a mind can split itself into many compartments and so no human being is ever truly alone.

The y always have different elements of their mind to converse with, debate  and discuss things with.

I'm finding it a bit hard limiting my social interaction as I am used to dealing closely with a hundred or more people a day while working and 30 or so every day since retiring  But as one who  lived alone on a small offshore island for 3 months  except for occasional visits by people, I know that i don't NEED social interaction for my mind to remain highly functional  indeed living truly  alone often requires an exercise of mental skills that are not needed when you are supported by a community 

My wife has me pretty well 24 /7 She has her sister come and stay a couple of days every fortnight, she has a couple of hours of contact with her home help each week   She visits with an elderly lady for a couple of hours a week. She occasionally visits friends and relative  However she is in contact with a  dozen friends and relatives online every day..

However as I  said, she is like me. Either from genes or her parenting she has never been depressed in the 50 years I have known her The last time i saw her cry was 30 years ago and the only other time on the day i met her 19/08/72)  In both cases she was grieving the unexpected loss of a loved one 

She is not like me(and Iam guessing you) She doesn't get a buzz from  social contact She would rather  spend time reading, listening to music, being with the dogs and cat , or just enjoying nature  

Omg! All the best to the misses, I am actually going to pray for her and you.

Your welcome.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

While i respect the bond of natural, parenting it is unreliable, biologically driven, and often short lived. When you choose to love a child as your own, that is an inner conscious choice, and thus is permanent,   and comes with an understood permanent duty and responsibility, rather than a chemical  drive which is unreliable and temporary and may even be resented by the parent   Of course most biological parents (and all the good ones) consciously adopt this commitment of love and duty/responsibility to their child, which will last 'til either  parent or child dies 

The biological bond is always there.....even after a child's passing....trust me, I know. :hmm:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Omg! All the best to the misses, I am actually going to pray for her and you.

Your welcome.

Thanks Sherapy Much appreciated 

I did add a bit to the bottom which might make it sound even worse, but actually life is good .   Its not the physical qualities of a life which count but how we feel and perceive those qualities  Some peole would get angry, afraid, envious of others who were in better health,  or fearful. if they were in my wife's position. Some would get anxious or even depressed.  She does not  

One thing This virus isn't affecting or worrying her at all because she sees so few people and they all take strict precautions 

10 minutes ago, Piney said:

The biological bond is always there.....even after a child's passing....trust me, I know. :hmm:

In "good" parents it is, but far from always, for all biological parents.  

Others reject their biological child at birth, or during the first year or so.

Others reject it when it begins to become independent, and go against the parents wishes for it (some mothers, especially, see a child as a living doll or an extension of themselves, not an independent living creature, with it's own rights and future, which it must determine for itself 

The non biological bond of a  foster/adoptive  parent is also often there after a child's passing, even when that child was 26 years old when they died .

25 years  later the greatest pain/grief in my life is the loss of one of our kids at the age of 26.  Our relationship with his  young adult daughters and their own young children helps a lot. The y in turn have been rejected in their early  teens  by their mother, who remarried  and had other children by her new partner.   

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

copied instead of edited

Edited by Mr Walker

31 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Thanks Sherapy Much appreciated 

I did add a bit to the bottom which might make it sound even worse, but actually life is good .   Its not the physical qualities of a life which count but how we feel and perceive those qualities  Some peole would get angry, afraid, envious of others who were in better health,  or fearful. if they were in my wife's position. Some would get anxious or even depressed.  She does not  

One thing This virus isn't affecting or worrying her at all because she sees so few people and they all take strict precautions 

I get that she needs to be quarantined, of course you need to protect her. Are you staying home or still out running around? 

You don’t seem to allow any emotions unless they are positive, you are typical of family care providers. It is healthy and normal to mourn the loss of your health, and adapt  to new normal it is when one doesn’t that it raises red flags. 

I am glad you respect her independence and dignity. No matter what shape a person is in helping only when needed or instructed is correct. It sounds like you listen or at least I hope it is one area you do. :P

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

• The topic was locked