Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has everyone asked God to reveal himself?

spartan max2

1 hour ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I strongly feel a very profound thought provoking point you made there. Kudos for that. :tu:

Yeah, like that money came straight from the sky from God? It came from somewhere else so is this the God providing for one person from  taking from another?

It’s almost like the black box theory I like to bring up. You could choose to press the button on the black box and get everything you want providing that you know you’re killing somebody else that you don’t know. And I think things to digest from this, is that they’ll be somebody later on to get what they want more than likely at this expense of your life. I’m sure he’ll feel more than happy to present button and add you for their good fortune. I think people really need to think long and hard about this and see where their good fortune is really good fortune in the honest sense of not. 
thank you for pointing this out.

Good fortune comes from doing good deeds.

10 hours ago, Crikey said:

Why blame God? Jesus said- "Satan has bound this crippled woman for 18 years", then he cured her..:D

I agree with the why blame God bit.

Its totally unhelpful. There are some horrible things in the world, and we should investigate them fully and with an open mind - to just blame God is stupid and ignorant.

We have free will, what happens to us and to each other is a direct result of that free will.

And if like me, you know the law of karma, then that not only explains everything, but gives us a peaceful way-out of this whole bloody mess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Who was the televangelist who told everyone "God told me to go up into my tower and not come down until I have received a million dollars from my followers."  ?  That guy was wack and so was everyone who sent him money.  I feel bad for the starving little old ladies that sent money because he promised "God" would give them something in return.  Preying on desperate people should be one of the top sins, but it isn't even mentioned in the list.

"To love thy neighbour as thy self" would cover this type of greedy behaviour.

5 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I don't know. Some treat god like a surrogate parent. Guess it feels an emotional need.

Well for me at least, it fills a practical need.

2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Mostly remembered from classical history in college almost half a century ago. Hollywood isn't a very reliable history source in most respects. It doesn't even accurately portray written fiction. This link contains some of the more pertinent details.

Sounds very similar to the Starz production of Spartacus. The series of course embellished for entertainment but the producers did a lot of research. Have you seen this series? I would pick Spartacus over Jesus any day.  

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, XenoFish said:

The old ones care not for us. If you think about it. Why would a thing that is capable of creating an entire universe care? I think god is just a form of the human ego. 

If God didn't care, then why create a universe in the first place?

Love unites, God is ALL, therefore, God is Love.

God is not a form of human ego, God is above such things, as are the best of Humanity.

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Sounds very similar to the Starz production of Spartacus. The series of course embellished for entertainment but the producers did a lot of research. Have you seen this series? I would pick Spartacus over Jesus any day.  

Knowing what I know of Spartacus, I wouldn't ,even were I an atheist. The man was a brutal, sadistic killer of prisoners, every bit as Roman as the Romans about it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Knowing what I know of Spartacus, I wouldn't ,even were I an atheist. The man was a brutal, sadistic killer of prisoners, every bit as Roman as the Romans about it.

I think the Kubrick version of Spartacus, is a warning.

Eg, the authorities create a problem, and then use that as a reason to take away our civil liberties.

Edit, a movie or story, doesn't have to be 100% factually correct to have an important message.

Edited by Crazy Horse

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

The Roman culture was brutal, period. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, psyche101 said:

It's possible. It's also possible that your advice is bad for others. That's what I figure you are ignoring. I find that a common theme in most religious style outlooks. Many consider good fortune acts of God, but they are not. One might pray to God for assistance and find a 50 dollar bill in the ground and thank god for that, whilst half an hour later a single parent might be searching that same area for their kids food money they lost. No offence, but I think it's a very selfish outlook. 

As long as that's not taken advantage of, which is more common today than genuine reciprocation. 

I don't think so. I think people have to want what you are selling to begin with. So it's preaching to the choir. As you can see here, the majority of posters have not embraced your outlook. It's because the world is what it is. 

4 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I strongly feel a very profound thought provoking point you made there. Kudos for that. :tu:

Yeah, like that money came straight from the sky from God? It came from somewhere else so is this the God providing for one person from  taking from another?

It’s almost like the black box theory I like to bring up. You could choose to press the button on the black box and get everything you want providing that you know you’re killing somebody else that you don’t know. And I think things to digest from this, is that they’ll be somebody later on to get what they want more than likely at this expense of your life. I’m sure he’ll feel more than happy to present button and add you for their good fortune. I think people really need to think long and hard about this and see where their good fortune is really good fortune in the honest sense of not. 

I don't know if I agree with the pessimistic outlook on fortune. If someone prayed and found a 50 dollar bill in the parking lot all one would know is it came from somewhere and one could speculate negatively on where the money came from and where it could have gone to be put to better use, but then one can speculate in the positive as well. 

That 50 dollar bill could have just as easily fell out of the pocket of a drug dealer doing his deals on the corner and blew in the wind to where the person found it. If that person wouldn't have found it than a homeless person would have found it, walked down to the road to the liquor store for a bottle of liquor, walked back up to the corner where that drug dealer was and gave him back 25 of his 50 for a balloon of heroin. Then he would have gone under an over pass and got drunk and taken fentanyl laced heroin and would have been dead by morning. That person finding the 50 actually would have only taken it from a drug dealer that may or may not even miss it and saved a life by making sure the homeless person didn't find it.

Edited by WanderingFool0
correction
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

More like the Universe as an entity., both kind and cruel in it's indifferent reality. Man learn long ago how to manipulate the physical world to his advantage. To interact with the Universe on the nonphysical plane, required the anthropomorphizing of it into Gods and Demons, that coalesced, conceptually, into a unified deity.

This Universal Consciousness is there to help, guide, and comfort anyone who cares to align themselves with this Universal Principle of Love.

If on the other hand, one choices to go against this Law, then they punish themselves.

This is my perception, my experience, and my truth.

You and everybody reading this are free to have another point of view, and I sincerely hope that it works as well for you, as it does for me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Hey Gorgeous

Good to see you. Thanks for the comment, it's just nearly everything is a two sided coin. CH only looks at one side. I don't think that's good advice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Mostly remembered from classical history in college almost half a century ago. Hollywood isn't a very reliable history source in most respects. It doesn't even accurately portray written fiction. This link contains some of the more pertinent details.

You learnt this is collage, well it must be true lol, its not like our governments are trying to dumb us down, keeping our minds small, and our bodies enslaved.

3 hours ago, Sherapy said:

The Roman culture was brutal, period. 

The thing is, Roman culture never really went away.

This blood sacrifice, this enslavement of humanity, this business for more gold, more power, more, more, more....

4 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Well, that not for you to judge, but for other folks to decide, and discern for themselves.

Yes it is, it's up to everyone. You're giving bad and false advice only seeing things your way. Other people exist as well. A your doing is telling them to be you because you like your routine.

And I don't consider good fortune acts of God, but the karmic results of ones own good deeds. And I have never asked God for material assistance.

Karma doesn't exist. Things to good, things go bad. They are not related. That's utter nonsense. 

We have had this discussion and you lazily side stepped the issue by saying those that don't get karma in this life get it in another one. That's insulting. There is no other life, and serving one back in an unrecognised existence is actually pretty evil IMHO. It's no better than blaming offspring for sins of the parents. 

Personally, I tend to think that not sharing ones own insights, something you have found to be very valuable within your own life, to be a very selfish attitude.

And you don't think I'm doing exactly that?

That's your perception, and your truth. It is not my perception, its not my experience, and therefore, it is not my truth. 

Because you don't want to. 

I am not selling anything. I am giving an honest opinion born from a day to day experience. That's there choice and I wish them well. 

Yes you are, you might not realise it but your selling religion and old myths. It's working for you because you are quite clearly steering your own outcomes. If something bad happens to you, you expect something good in return due to karma. That's a self fulfilling prophecy.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, WanderingFool0 said:

Well, much like you say that greedy pastors don't represent true Christianity, one could argue that the caste system implemented and enforced by the Brahman is not a true representation of the philosophy of Hinduism.

Yeah and I'm surprised Gandhi didn't try to abolish the wretched Hindu caste system..

I like Christianity's approach better-

1- Just you stick with me, chum"

2- "Thanks JC, you're my main man"

3- "Hey kiddo, why do you talk to beggars and riffraff like him?"

4- "TAKE A HIKE you numbnuts"

jesus-run-in_zpsg2rv9qne.jpg~original

Edited by Crikey

1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

Yes it is, it's up to everyone. You're giving bad and false advice only seeing things your way. Other people exist as well. A your doing is telling them to be you because you like your routine.

What bad advice exactly?

Karma doesn't exist. Things to good, things go bad. They are not related. That's utter nonsense. 

That's your perception, and your truth, it isn't mine, and for millions of other folk too. I know karma does exist.

We have had this discussion and you lazily side stepped the issue by saying those that don't get karma in this life get it in another one. That's insulting. There is no other life, and serving one back in an unrecognised existence is actually pretty evil IMHO. It's no better than blaming offspring for sins of the parents. 

Its your opinion only, that there is no other life, but why is it insulting? Its called taking responsibility in my book.

And you don't think I'm doing exactly that?

I don't know what you are doing.

You are right. Only its my choice, not yours.

Yes you are, you might not realise it but your selling religion and old myths. It's working for you because you are quite clearly steering your own outcomes. If something bad happens to you, you expect something good in return due to karma. That's a self fulfilling prophecy.

And if its quite clearly working for me, then it can work for other folk too, so thanks for that!

Above.

1 hour ago, WanderingFool0 said:

I don't know if I agree with the pessimistic outlook on fortune. If someone prayed and found a 50 dollar bill in the parking lot all one would know is it came from somewhere and one could speculate negatively on where the money came from and where it could have gone to be put to better use, but then one can speculate in the positive as well. 

That 50 dollar bill could have just as easily fell out of the pocket of a drug dealer doing his deals on the corner and blew in the wind to where the person found it. If that person wouldn't have found it than a homeless person would have found it, walked down to the road to the liquor store for a bottle of liquor, walked back up to the corner where that drug dealer was and gave him back 25 of his 50 for a balloon of heroin. Then he would have gone under an over pass and got drunk and taken fentanyl laced heroin and would have been dead by morning. That person finding the 50 actually would have only taken it from a drug dealer that may or may not even miss it and saved a life by making sure the homeless person didn't find it.

You too only want to see one side of the coin. Do you feel better changing a poor single parent for a druggie? What's wrong? Can't handle the idea that your faith might hurt others?

Did you ever think about how benign beliefs offer credibility to fundamental ones? And as fundamentalists are more devout to the actual alleged word of God, aren't they closer to God than you are? 

You aren't inspiring people to be good, you're enabling these nutcases.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfsxsK-4VjSLQWxCc3YIk

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_yNZ2u-AXjdmZLvM2WtX

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Hey Gorgeous

Good to see you. Thanks for the comment, it's just nearly everything is a two sided coin. CH only looks at one side. I don't think that's good advice. 

Please give a couple of examples of where I have only given a one sided view, gorgeous. :D

5 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

You too only want to see one side of the coin. Do you feel better changing a poor single parent for a druggie? What's wrong? Can't handle the idea that your faith might hurt others?

Did you ever think about how benign beliefs offer credibility to fundamental ones? And as fundamentalists are more devout to the actual alleged word of God, aren't they closer to God than you are? 

You aren't inspiring people to be good, you're enabling these nutcases.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfsxsK-4VjSLQWxCc3YIk

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_yNZ2u-AXjdmZLvM2WtX

Wow - talk about only putting one side of the coin....

12 hours ago, Scudbuster said:

Crikey said- Why blame God? Jesus said- "Satan has bound this crippled woman for 18 years", then he cured her..:D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, you have some evidence for such a miraculous event...?? 

Yup mate, he was almost as big as Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman- 

"They brought to him all that were sick and he healed them" (Matt 4:24)

Edited by Crikey

1 minute ago, Crazy Horse said:

what bad advice exactly?

A of it. The lies about afterlife undermining real knowledge. The flowery prose to open oneself to others without thought. I've said many times that the majority of people will take advantage of those with a kind heart. Why do you refuse to recognise that basic truth? 

That's your perception, and your truth, it isn't mine, and for millions of other folk too. I know karma does exist.

And I know for certain it doesn't, and that your claims are flimsy and unjust. 

So where does that leave the subject? 

I can show you many examples (I imagine billions exist) of people being taken advantage of for trying to be kind and help others. All the karma in the world isn't enough for people like Brett Cowan. That's BS.

Its your opinion only, that there is no other life, but why is it insulting? Its called taking responsibility in my book.

According to science and the current level of knowledge. Not in my opinion. Afterlife is a myth some hold as strong opinion. It just doesn't stack up. Can't happen. 

I don't know what you are doing.

I'll just leave that as it is. Seems fitting.

You are right. Only its my choice, not yours.

Exactly, if it works for you, then do what you want, but don't preach lies that karma and the afterlife is true. They are not. That is your opinion and no more. 

I don't know why people spend so much time immersing themselves in myths rather than actually learning. Can you enlighten me on that one?

And if its quite clearly working for me, then it can work for other folk too, so thanks for that!

Thanks for what?

Anyone can create a facade in life. That's not unique or special. Just your interpretation is your personal outlook that you have settled on and decided upon. As much as you claim to be open minded, that's only reserved for fringe beliefs. You have not shown that you are open minded considering the very real information that refutes your claims.

10 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Please give a couple of examples of where I have only given a one sided view, gorgeous. :D

Has someone sent you my pic?

With regards to the video I posted that you claimed to watch. You didn't discuss it, you didn't consider the impact of it on the myths you hang your hat on. You just dismissed one of the smartest people on the planet with the best equipment available to him. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Epicurus' trilemma

"If God is unable to prevent evil, then he is not all-powerful.

If God is not willing to prevent evil, then he is not all-good."

Earth is a 'Testing Ground' to see if we pass selection..:D

"All creation groans in pain from the beginning til now" (Romans 8:22)

"God didn't spare his own son" (Romans 8:32)

"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life.." (James 1:12)

sas-who-daresTVv.jpg

9 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Wow - talk about only putting one side of the coin....

That's the side you ignore. It's very real and it exists 

And benign faiths offer the credibility they require to act like that in public. If people would learn more, and realise how illogical religious concepts are, such people would more likely be in funny farms.

• Like 4

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked