Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has everyone asked God to reveal himself?

spartan max2

6 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

And his dad made is the universe and everything? And an intelligent alien created a race with sin to kill his own son to save the sinners? 

Just nah. That's even sillier than the traditional version!! And that's saying something!!

Early heathen humans BC were running wild and the bad vibes(sin) was building up like crazy, so God thought "What a bunch of no-hopers, I'd better send my boy down there to straighten them out and soak up all the bad vibes to give them a fresh start and a second chance to make the grade"

rel-god-fury2.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

That's the side you ignore. It's very real and it exists 

And benign faiths offer the credibility they require to act like that in public. If people would learn more, and realise how illogical religious concepts are, such people would more likely be in funny farms.

I haven't ignored it at all.

But to say that my beliefs are leading to those folks acting like in that picture is outrageous and unhelpful.

Its called taking personal reasonability for ones own actions. Something I have been saying for years on these boards.

Those people are responsible for their actions, as are you, as am I.

4 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

What exactly are you referring to?

You wish others dead?

Think karma mate, if people are naughty, the universe zaps them, none of my bizness..::D

No he wasn't. 

He was a tart. He invited everyone, when women and slaves had little rights, he preyed on that. How is that different to how ISIS prey on the troubled to radicalise them? 

That's why Christianity got a following. He encouraged the lower society to gather in numbers. No rejection. That means a lot to people who live hard. 

And I find it very very likely that the Jesus of the Bible is one story of many men. It makes much more sense. 

How is that different from ISIS? Well for one, He never went around, cutting the head off little 12 year old boy.

He was a rebel and a heretic, lambasting the religious hierarchy of the day, offering the people a living message, instead of the dead prophets of yesteryear.

That's why early Christianity got such a following, because it worked. People taking responsibility for their own salvation.

"The Kingdom of God is within". Establishing ones divinity

"Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you." Establishing the way.

That there is a very powerful message, and one that excluded the priests of the day...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

..The more fanatical they lean, the greater their self-righteousness, judgementalism, and arrogance become. Then again, fanaticism can be seen as spiritual immaturity. 

I simply LIKE Jesus, just as I like Elvis, the Beatles and Victoria in the High Chaparral, but that doesn't make me a fanatic..:D

As for "arrogance" that's simply awesome confidence-

"..as a Christian, praise God that you bear that name...that you may stand firm in all the will of God, mature and fully assured" (1 Peter 4:16,Col 4:12)

"Our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power" (1 Thess 1:5)

Check me out in this video under my screenname Poor Old Spike, play it fullscreen for maximum dramatic effect and note my supremely powerful fearless body language-

Edited by Crikey
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Buddha Bless You. The Universe is indifferent to the petty cares of transient wisps of protoplasm. That part of us unbound by the constraints of linear time is indifferent to the Universe. It is a bird of passage only and here only briefly abides.

I think you are probably right, that the Universe is indifferent. Otherwise, what's the point of free will?

But, it will mirror our own actions. Not as some reward, or as some punishment, but a simple cause and effect, action and reaction.

And anybody can know this for themselves with a little effort.

48 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

You wasted your time saying, basically, nothing. Trifle with somebody else.

No, I am not saying nothing.

If you cant stand the heat,.....

42 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

How does you know for certain? that's quite a claim. Me, I live it every day, I know it is true

It's not hard to quote you know. I'm on a phone and I manage.

I know because I can learn and read and I utilise those skills to appreciate his finite existence and am privileged to be able to understand as much of it as we do. You are living in the past, keeping alive ancient failed ideas. IMHO, that's disrespectful to those pioneers who dared to try to understand what is around us. 

You embrace ideas that appeal to you. The difference here is evidence. I accept it, you don't.

And I can give you hundreds of examples, from my own life, where a kind act was apricated, and not taken advantage of. 

And that justifies the thousands of bad examples how? 

Science doesn't have the first clue about what happens after we pass. How can it? It doesn't even accept the idea!!!

Yes, it does know.

There have been many experiments on exactly that, including the modern AWARE study led by Sam Parnia. Stories, myths and a convenient shoehorn is not science. Observation is. 

Probably because folks want to know the Truth for themselves, whatever that might be.

This I don't get.

If that's true, why not embrace knowledge? Why make up stuff that's all kittens and rainbows? 

I can't imagine what the species might be like if we really were driven to know the real truth. We aren't like that by nature. We like ideas that appeal to ones dreams. Few devote lives to real pursuits of knowledge. Those that do are undermined by imaginative concepts. That's unjust IMHO. 

For saying it works for me. If it works well for one person, it will probably work well for other folks too.

You keep saying that, why do you keep dodging the other side of that coin?

Yes, we can all create a façade in life. Only, some beliefs are based on personal experience and can lead to an inner peace. Like mine for example. 

That's how self fulfilling prophecies work and why they appeal to some. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

Nature is out to kill you. That's what it mostly does. The Earth would erase all signs of man before the moon would. 

Karma is not real. 

That's just your opinion...

“...… But for us there was no wilderness, nature was not dangerous but hospitable, not forbidding but friendly. Our faith sought the harmony of man with his surroundings; the other sought the dominance of surroundings.

For us, the world was full of beauty; for the other, it was a place to be endured until he went to another world.

But we were wise. We knew that man's heart, away from nature, becomes hard.”
Chief Luther Standing Bear

Anyone can know karma if they are not too lazy, or narrow-minded.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

You embrace ideas that appeal to you. The difference here is evidence. I accept it, you don't.

I embrace the ideas that appeal to me, that's true. But here's the difference. You talk of evidence, I talk of experience.

One is objective, the other is subjective. One leads to graphs, weights measures and figures. The other leads to happiness, inner peace, contentment and creativity.

You are free to believe what you will, but so am I, and so is everybody else.

See, two sides of the coin right there!

Can you match it?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Here ya go mate..:P

rel-nazareth-digB.jpg

A hamlet of around 50 houses on a patch of about four acres populated by poor Jewish people. Why is this place not mentioned in the Hebrew Bible, Josephus, or the Talmud if it is the birthplace of the Messiah? 

And that not make the no record of his existence, yet records if other Jesuses even more compelling?

50 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

I did watch it. 

So you say, you didn't discuss it, you dismissed it 

And I told you the lie that everything else hangs-on, that the brain creates consciousness.

See, how can you say that's a lie if you watched it? I think it's more likely that saying you actually watched it is a lie. 

How do we perform brain surgery, predict those outcomes, lobotomies, watch activity with MRIs perform life saving surgery if we don't know what we are doing and how the brain works? 

And by the way, that man Carrol, he actually believes he is part of the Ruling Class. His words - yeah really!!!

Instead of making character assassination without references or links, why don't you show what is actually incorrect about the information presented? 

You're just doing the equivalent of throwing rocks in the dark. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Early heathen humans BC were running wild and the bad vibes(sin) was building up like crazy, so God thought "What a bunch of no-hopers, I'd better send my boy down there to straighten them out and soak up all the bad vibes to give them a fresh start and a second chance to make the grade"

rel-god-fury2.jpg

And this, with his wierd interest in human bedrooms is his business how? 

50 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Think karma mate, if people are naughty, the universe zaps them, none of my bizness..::D

Righto. What karma befell the Garton murders perp? The Black Dahlia murderer? What karma could ever account for the crimes of Brett Cowan, John Gacy? Ivan Milat? 

Bah, the universe is very unjust.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

How is that different from ISIS? Well for one, He never went around, cutting the head off little 12 year old boy.

His father committed genocide. 

Remember the Cannanites?

He was a rebel and a heretic, lambasting the religious hierarchy of the day, offering the people a living message, instead of the dead prophets of yesteryear.

Christianity encouraged anyone and everyone to join in a time of exclusivity. That appealed to those who fell outside social norms. 

You are trumpeting dead prophets of yesteryear and rejecting modern discovery! 

That's why early Christianity got such a following, because it worked. People taking responsibility for their own salvation.

No, because nobody was ineligible.

"The Kingdom of God is within". Establishing ones divinity

So Charles Manson, where's his divinity? 

"Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you." Establishing the way.

And that will pay the bills, feed and house you how?

That there is a very powerful message, and one that excluded the priests of the day...

Not really. It's just an old word salad. How is it actually practical?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

A hamlet of around 50 houses on a patch of about four acres populated by poor Jewish people. Why is this place not mentioned in the Hebrew Bible, Josephus, or the Talmud if it is the birthplace of the Messiah? 

And that not make the no record of his existence, yet records if other Jesuses even more compelling?

Well he was born in Bethlehem (pic below) but later moved to Nazareth, so that no doubt had people scratching their heads as to what his hometown was..:D

Wise Men- "We come bearing gifts of gold, frankincense and myrhh"

Mary and Joseph- "Thanks but he'd rather have a playstation, we'll keep the gold but we don't want that other stuff whatever it is"

rel-3 kings.jpg

1 hour ago, Crazy Horse said:

That's just your opinion...

No it's just how things are. I mean seriously. You can't be for real. Nature is brutal and it will take the weak, young, strong and old with indifference. A winter won't go light to save lives, a heatwave will cook everything in its path. And we are precariously balanced in a little bubble of air. Outside of it, we perish in minutes. Even in many places on it. You know how many bodies are on Everest?

“...… But for us there was no wilderness, nature was not dangerous but hospitable, not forbidding but friendly. Our faith sought the harmony of man with his surroundings; the other sought the dominance of surroundings.

For us, the world was full of beauty; for the other, it was a place to be endured until he went to another world.

But we were wise. We knew that man's heart, away from nature, becomes hard.”
Chief Luther Standing Bear

Wise words of people who learned to live with nature. You can't fight it. 

It's a limited view though from a long time ago when much of the world was a mystery. Joy is where you find it. In the slums of cities, people still find their own joys. But creating in an imaginary friend is just an illusion.

Anyone can know karma if they are not too lazy, or narrow-minded.

Nothing to do with that. Karma is based on blind belief. It's a wonderful concept, I'd say too good to be true to be honest 

Except that multiple lives karma BS. That's just wrong all round. How can you find that just?

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

I embrace the ideas that appeal to me, that's true. But here's the difference. You talk of evidence, I talk of experience.

One is objective, the other is subjective. One leads to graphs, weights measures and figures. The other leads to happiness, inner peace, contentment and creativity.

You are free to believe what you will, but so am I, and so is everybody else.

See, two sides of the coin right there!

Can you match it?

Where have you actually factored the other side? Making vague reference to it is not. Nor is attacking Carroll instead of the information.

You're actually pretty closed minded IMHO. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Righto. What karma befell the Garton murders perp? The Black Dahlia murderer? What karma could ever account for the crimes of Brett Cowan, John Gacy? Ivan Milat? 

Bah, the universe is very unjust.

Murderers are godless individuals, therefore all kinds of nasty demons have got free entry into their empty heads to make them do nasty things, karma..

That's why people need to mindmeld with Jesus to get him into their heads as a bouncer to keep the nasties out..:D

"On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you" (John 14:20)

jesus-meld_zps86861c7d.jpg~original

(PS- I was sorry to hear Charlie Manson had died because I was hoping we Brits could do a swap with America, we could have had Charlie and given them Piers Morgan in return)

Edited by Crikey

11 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Well he was born in Bethlehem (pic below) but later moved to Nazareth, so that no doubt had people scratching their heads as to what his hometown was..:D

Wise Men- "We come bearing gifts of gold, frankincense and myrhh"

Mary and Joseph- "Thanks but he'd rather have a playstation, we'll keep the gold but we don't want that other stuff whatever it is"

rel-3 kings.jpg

So the wise men went "sweet as" kept it and smoked it? 

I just don't know 

A mysteriously pregnant teenager just doesn't really strike me as a miracle. It happens every day.

Unless........

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSh7cwZhgjREq3CtKe8HwQ

And that is still ignoring the no records issue. It doesn't explain that at all. You're letting the side down.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6wuBm3OzoThb0qdbdXaA

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Murderers are godless individuals, therefore all kinds of nasty demons have got free entry into their empty heads to make them do nasty things, karma...

What?

How's that fair or just? And you hinted Jesus is even an alien, which sort of details your demon theory here. 

That's not just, if that's karma, then karma sucks big time. We should try to eradicate it.

6 minutes ago, Crikey said:

That's why people need to mindmeld with Jesus to get him into their heads as a bouncer to keep the nasties out..:D

"On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you" (John 14:20)

jesus-meld_zps86861c7d.jpg~original

Because he is everywhere?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpzU0hm2-z3TuCNGnqNoC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

And that is still ignoring the no records issue. It doesn't explain that at all. You're letting the side down.

Get on here this instant for not paying attention to your sunday school teacher!!!

naughty-step.jpg

Nazareth was just a loose straggle of farms, not a dot on the map!

Edited by Crikey

1 hour ago, Crikey said:

I simply LIKE Jesus, just as I like Elvis, the Beatles and Victoria in the High Chaparral, but that doesn't make me a fanatic..:D

As for "arrogance" that's simply awesome confidence-

"..as a Christian, praise God that you bear that name...that you may stand firm in all the will of God, mature and fully assured" (1 Peter 4:16,Col 4:12)

"Our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power" (1 Thess 1:5)

Check me out in this video under my screenname Poor Old Spike, play it fullscreen for maximum dramatic effect and note my supremely powerful fearless body language-

Christianity has lost it's power, all it has now are empty threats and that only works on the brainwashed.

• Like 1

Just try to live the best you can, be the best you possible. If we are judged I'd rather it be done based on my character rather than faith. 

Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Murderers are godless individuals

Or they might just be a prophet.

12 minutes ago, Crikey said:

The biggest nasties being logic and skepticism.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked