Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A mysterious bird

Karren

As a child, I saw a species of bird that I still can't identify. I also had a figurine of this bird.
It was a bird about the size of a sparrow, the body structure was also rather similar, but the color was yellow with brown feathers in the tail and wings, it also had a blurry pink stripe on the neck. It might have had a white belly, but I'm not sure about that. The beak was rather bright. In addition, it made a kind of rattling sound and moved in little jumps instead of walking, if I remember correctly.
It's unusual that I only came across this once. I can't find it in any book I've had the opportunity to search, and I've searched quite a lot of them. Searching for information on the internet also did not bring the expected results.
I saw this bird in Poland, but it could be a tropical bird that was someone's lost pet 
Edited by Karren
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Karren said:
As a child, I saw a species of bird that I still can't identify. I also had a figurine of this bird.
It was a bird about the size of a sparrow, the body structure was also rather similar, but the color was yellow with brown feathers in the tail and wings, it also had a blurry pink stripe on the neck. It might have had a white belly, but I'm not sure about that. The beak was rather bright. In addition, it made a kind of rattling sound and moved in little jumps instead of walking, if I remember correctly.
It's unusual that I only came across this once. I can't find it in any book I've had the opportunity to search, and I've searched quite a lot of them. Searching for information on the internet also did not bring the expected results.
I saw this bird in Poland, but it could be a tropical bird that was someone's lost pet 

Possibly a

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Rose-breasted Grosbeak m50-1-294_V.jpg

Edited by Jujo-jo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Karren said:

Ok to me something does not make sense, you say the colour was yellow with brown feathers, but later you say the belly might be white colour. So that's 3 different colours right.

It may be the photo attached of a Yellow browed Sparrow, but good luck finding the bird that you saw

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jujo-jo said:

Or possibly a red-throated bee-eater?

Little-Bee-Eater-2.jpg

This one is not even similar. That bird was yellow, not only bottom half of the head. And the beak was short like sparrow's beak

13 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

Tropical Kingbird?

suirir%C3%AD-real-JST.jpg

Different body type and there is no pink on the neck here 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MissJatti said:

Ok to me something does not make sense, you say the colour was yellow with brown feathers, but later you say the belly might be white colour. So that's 3 different colours right.

It may be the photo attached of a Yellow browed Sparrow, but good luck finding the bird that you saw

I mean head and back are yellow, longer feathers on wings and tail are brown, stomach and chest maybe white or pale yellow 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jujo-jo said:

Possibly a

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Rose-breasted Grosbeak m50-1-294_V.jpg

As far as I remember it didn't have dots on the chest. And this bird is not yellow

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rashore said:

Where in Poland was this, and what time of year was it?

I don't remember what time of year it was. That was over 10 years ago. Where it was, it was in Silesia, a city called Gliwice. In a not very modern urban part of the city (the city also has some more rural areas)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Karren said:

I also had a figurine of this bird..

if I remember correctly

Can you see if you can find a picture of the figurine online. 

You give quite a detailed description of the bird, although you are not entirely sure, so are you taking the details solely  from your memory of the  bird or is some of it based on the figurine? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Karren said:

Maybe some type of finch.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Can you see if you can find a picture of the figurine online. 

You give quite a detailed description of the bird, although you are not entirely sure, so are you taking the details solely  from your memory of the  bird or is some of it based on the figurine? 

I tried to find it on the internet in the past, couldn't find anything similar. I would put a photo of the figurine here if I had access to the object (I lost it years ago) or a photo of it.

I based the description only on my memories

• Like 1

I don't know if you looked here or not.  

List of Birds in Poland

If you click hover the cursor over the name of a bird it will show you a picture.  Might take awhile but I don't know any other way.

Edited by joc
  • Like 2

Common redpoll

824654821_Commonredpoll.jpg.b83c5bb29d63dce73d7564c18142069b.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Karren said:

This one is not yellow, it's all brown 

Welcome to UM,

Just from your comment above, I’m just curious: Have you ever checked if you’re colourblind?

Because that bird is red/white/grey with almost no brown. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Karren said:

I saw a species of bird that I still can't identify

Have you looked up Goldfinch.It also could be a colour variation or mutation of a common species of bird.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Timothy said:

Welcome to UM,

Just from your comment above, I’m just curious: Have you ever checked if you’re colourblind?

Because that bird is red/white/grey with almost no brown. 

I saw it as a grey-brown mix, could be because of the glitch on my phone screen (it sometimes gets darker with a yellowish tint). So I saw it as red + white + greyish brown. I'm not colorblind, as an artist I have a good color recognition, I checked it many times.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Karren said:

This one is not yellow, it's all brown 

I know.  It's pretty though :)    I actually went through the entire  list and that is the closest thing I found to what you described.  You may be right it could have been an escaped pet. Next step might be to look at Tropical Bird Pets in Poland. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Karren said:

I saw it as a grey-brown mix, could be because of the glitch on my phone screen (it sometimes gets darker with a yellowish tint). So I saw it as red + white + greyish brown. I'm not colorblind, as an artist I have a good color recognition, I checked it many times.

The other question is...male or female?  Typically males are the more brightly colored of the two.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, joc said:

The other question is...male or female?  Typically males are the more brightly colored of the two.  

I'm a woman. About the bird's gender, I don't know it 

• Haha 4

58 minutes ago, joc said:

I know.  It's pretty though :)    I actually went through the entire  list and that is the closest thing I found to what you described.  You may be right it could have been an escaped pet. Next step might be to look at Tropical Bird Pets in Poland. 

The problem is that I couldn't find it even in a book about not only European birds but also the species from the other continents. I'm really searching through every single book about birds I have access to 

Edited by Karren
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Karren said:

The problem is that I couldn't find it even in a book about not only European birds but also the species from other continents 

The other thing to consider Karren is that...you are going on memories from many years ago.  And memory is a funny thing.  It has been proven that, typically, memories are not nearly as reliable as we think we are.  

You have a picture in your mind...and it may very well be accurate.  But it also may not be accurate.  I'm guessing it probably is, but ...memory is a funny thing.

• Like 3