Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flat-Earther killed in homemade rocket crash

Eldorado

6 hours ago, moonman said:

And he couldn't just send a camera up....why exactly? You know, like middle schoolers do with digital cameras and balloons.

I guess if you're a flat earther you aren't really thinking logically in the first place.

I think the Flat-Earthers believe that the atmospheric thermal changes at a certain altitude cause an optical illusion which creates a phantom curvator image of the planet's surface, similar to low level thermal mirages like super refraction, and they claim the only way to see the surface and analyse it properly is to see it with the naked eye, or with a special camera lens that has been modified to counter the effects of thermal refraction at extreme altitudes, which I'm guessing is still in the experimental stage, or is classified technology.  Perhaps his death will inspire others to complete his work?  Right or wrong, at least he gave it a go and courageously wagered his own life in the experiment.  RIP and respect to his family.

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

I think the Flat-Earthers believe that the atmospheric thermal changes at a certain altitude cause an optical illusion which creates a phantom curvator image of the planet's surface, similar to low level thermal mirages like super refraction, and they claim the only way to see the surface and analyse it properly is to see it with the naked eye, or with a special camera lens that has been modified to counter the effects of thermal refraction at extreme altitudes, which I'm guessing is still in the experimental stage, or is classified technology.  Perhaps his death will inspire others to complete his work?  Right or wrong, at least he gave it a go and courageously wagered his own life in the experiment.  RIP and respect to his family.

There's no "work" to complete, unless you call being ignorant "work".

Leave the rockets to the pros.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

What experiment?  It certainly had nothing to do with determining the Earth's shape.

On 2/24/2020 at 9:56 AM, Obviousman said:

Is there any detail on the the actual vehicle construction? I'd like to see how practical - or not - the vehicle actually was.

I think this gives a bit of an idea.

https://www.space.com/craigslist-water-heater-mad-rocket-launch.html

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

What experiment?  It certainly had nothing to do with determining the Earth's shape.

Bizarre as it may seem we cannot directly experience a globe because to do so would require our eyes being very far apart indeed.

Likewise we cannot photograph a globe, all we can do is take multiple photographs and using some imaging software construct them into a model of a globe. We are essentially inferring a globe rather than being able to directly experience one.

That creates philosophical problems, particularly from the camp that believe things only exist while being observed. As we cannot observe the whole globe existing at once we are making the assumption that the other side we cannot see exists while we cannot see it.

If that stance is right the earth isn't a globe, and it isn't exactly flat either. It would be the surface of half a globe. Crazy.

He only wanted to go about 1500m high :(

There are better ways to achieve that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

He only wanted to go about 1500m high :(

There are better ways to achieve that.

That's what I was thinking too. Everest is much higher than that. 

14 hours ago, psyche101 said:

That's what I was thinking too. Everest is much higher than that. 

Yeah. It's sad that he lost his life but he was one weird guy.

The girl that tattooed  her eyes black is still alive.  Rocket man was suicidal.