Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Will Donald Trump Impose Martial Law?

Raptor Witness

Given the unusual strain that the COVID-19 virus may put on local governments, I could see this happening, including an excuse to delay the 2020 election.

We can’t ignore the possibility. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

The resulting instability could be a bonafide excuse. Just imagine Donald Trump with real dictatorial powers, which is something that he’s always wanted.

This isn’t as big a stretch as it was, before a disaster like COVID-19 appeared.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Raptor Witness said:

Given the unusual strain that the COVID-19 virus may put on local governments, I could see this happening, including an excuse to delay the 2020 election.

We can’t ignore the possibility. 

In 1996 legislation was passed which allowed the military to intervene in case of a national emergency.

In 1999 this legislation was extended so that it permits the military to become involved in civilian affairs, even without a national emergency being declared.

In 2005 President Bush was criticized for allowing the military to intervene in the relief effort of Hurricane Katrina.

In late 2005 the Avian 'bird flu' pandemic was taking place and President Bush proposed using the military to enforce a quarantine area in order to stop the outbreak spreading across the nation.  e.g.

BUSH: "And who best to be able to effect a quarantine?  One option is the use of a military that’s able to plan and move. So that’s why I put it on the table. I think it’s an important debate for Congress to have."

2005hls.png

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/pdf/pandemic-influenza-strategy-2005.pdf

In 2007 a directive under Homeland Security was made which allows martial law to be declared in the event of a flu pandemic.

This would be a simple and effective way to stop the Democrats from holding any big rallies.  "Sorry folks. This venue is now quarantined and under martial law."

bernie.png

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, joc said:

That's utterly ridiculous.  Trump is a Patriot..he doesn't want to be dictator.  And the doom/gloom of  C-19 is ridiculous as well.  Fear is the great mind killer.  C-19 not so much...mostly hype....I hope.

I hope you are correct as well, but I also think, if we do ever have a major pandemic plague unleashed, many people in America and other western countries will be shocked and saddened, when in fear and determination those nations do much of what China has done and possibly more, in an effort to quell the spreading of the plague.

Edited by WanderingFool0
addition
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

Would be a simple and effective way to stop the Democrats from holding any big rallies.  "Sorry folks this venue is now quarantined and under martial law."

Should martial law be used to delay or stop the election, then full-blown revolution may be needed to save democracy and the Constitution.

But that may be difficult in a genuine epidemic.  Still, if it's the only game in town.

I think I would try a general strike first.  See how that works, then go from there.  After that:  "The best of battle plans never survive first contact with the enemy."

Doug

How about that?  A gun-control advocate touting the Second Amendment.

Doug

Edited by Doug1029
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WanderingFool0 said:

I hope you are correct as well, but I also think, if we do ever have a major pandemic plague unleashed, many people in America and other western countries will be shocked and saddened, when in fear and determination those nations do much of what China has done and possibly more, in an effort to quell the spreading of the plague.

I think China is a bit unique in the absolute Mao-nistic control over it's own people.  They have worked long and hard to garnish that kind of control.  Free countries don't really have the ability to.  But also...fear mongering is a real thing and it happens all the time in large chaotic type situations.  Hurricanes and such. Did you know some are saying that 2 billion people are going to starve to death because of the locusts?  It's ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, joc said:

I think China is a bit unique in the absolute Mao-nistic control over it's own people.  They have worked long and hard to garnish that kind of control.  Free countries don't really have the ability to.  But also...fear mongering is a real thing and it happens all the time in large chaotic type situations.  Hurricanes and such. Did you know some are saying that 2 billion people are going to starve to death because of the locusts?  It's ridiculous.

I can see your sentiment and I am believer in rights and freedoms, but I still believe history shows in times of plague and famine, the need to save the people and the union takes primacy over ideals and even the most idealistic of leaders will make stern and grim choices.

Edited by WanderingFool0
correction
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WanderingFool0 said:

I can see your sentiment and I am believer in rights and freedoms, but I still believe history shows in times of plague and famine, the need to save the people and the union takes primacy over ideals and even the most idealistic of leaders will make stern and grim choices.

Which plagues/famines does history show this to be true?

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, joc said:

Well I guess I can really only count the Irish famine, since most of the famines in history have been in nations that you would say were much like the Chinese. There have been many famines and many brutal responses.

With plagues you have the plague of Marseilles, where they restricted travel and built a plague wall, in italy you have Poveglia island where they rounded up and exiled plague victims, in the black plague in London they quarantined houses and even whole neighborhoods. Luckly we haven't had many deadly plagues with very high death rates in the in the modern western world, but that just means nations like American haven't been really tested yet.

I admit maybe I over spoke and oversold my feeling, but I doubt America's love of freedom would save the people from martial law, forced military quarantines and etc. Especially since all those things are part of the governments plan in such events.

Edited by WanderingFool0
correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, joc said:

Churchill was an idealist leader who made a stern and grim choice in 1943 when British India was suffering a terrible famine.

Millions died and Churchill's response at the time was something like this......

Image result for gif let them die

• Like 3

1 minute ago, and then said:

Nor should it.  If there was ever a time for the government to use the military to suppress the choices free people make, it would be during a time when panic-induced stupidity would cost millions their lives.  I don't yet believe that this virus is some kind of Spanish Influenza, part Deux.  It seems exceptionally easy for it to move from host to host but it seems to kill in relatively few cases.  That rate would climb if the percentage of patients who become critically ill is as bad as it seems but the numbers still should not necessitate martial law.  

This thread is simply one more version of ORANGE MAN BAD.  Lincoln is the only U.S. president who ever imposed martial law and we have a massive monument to him in our capitol.  

I agree about the thread and I would say if a situation arises where martial law will be invoked, it will have little to do with who the president is and more what the governments contingency plan is for the triggering event.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, joc said:

The only candidate holding any big rallies...IS...Trump.  Paranoia is a dangerous road to travel.

Yo, this is already happening right now in other countries. What makes U.S. any more immune ?

Fear of asking the tough questions right now, is the far greater danger. Civil liberties can disappear real quick in a national, natural disaster or emergency, and I don’t have to look very far over the horizon, at all, to see that coming.

This is what the Executive Branch, is for.

The truth is also, often, more real than fiction, and my bet is, you really have no clue, what you’re really dealing with .... but as a good man once said, 

”One man cannot summon the future?” 

So what about ..... two, unique men?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

Yo, this is already happening right now in other countries. What makes U.S. any more immune ?

10 minutes ago, micahc said:

Trump is no patriot

Don't bother quoting me anymore...I won't see them.

Also...you might consider doing a little bit of reading as far as the rules of the forum goes.  

Edited by joc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

Because the US is ...America.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

Churchill was an idealist leader who made a stern and grim choice in 1943 when British India was suffering a terrible famine.

Millions died and Churchill's response at the time was something like this......

Image result for gif let them die

The last time I checked... Trump wasn't President of the UK.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

What makes U.S. any more immune

Modern medicine and hygiene.  

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, WanderingFool0 said:

With plagues you have the plague of Marseilles, where they restricted travel and built a plague wall, in italy you have Poveglia island where they rounded up and exiled plague victims, in the black plague in London they quarantined houses and even whole neighborhoods. Luckly we haven't had many deadly plagues with very high death rates in the in the modern western world, but that just means nations like American haven't been really tested yet.

This is what they did to contain diseases in the middle ages.  Not directly comparable to modern America.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How about some real facts, from some real doctors .....

COVID-19 is currently running at a 20% severe level, requiring hospitalization,  and this has been maintained throughout the history of this disease. So this is way more severe, than say, the flu.

As a result, this will easily overwhelm our health facilities by a wide margin. That’s why Trump will likely use martial law to deal with the chaos.

Just count the number of hospital beds in your community, it’s that easy. They didn’t start building hospitals, practically overnight, in Wuhan, because this was like the flu. 

This is a true pandemic in the making ....

There is a lot of over caffeination in this forum. Lot of you violence talkers never have shot a person or done wartime military duty either, so I discount your silly screaming about what Trump is supposedly going to do in an eventuality which is unlikely. Revolution my backside. Looting the shops maybe.

IF a pandemic is so bad as to invoke martial law, I think we will have a lot more to worry about than rioting and rebellions. In fact, that inanity might well force it.

But, I don't see it coming. Economic damage and instability as this rocks on (if it worsens) but, not roundups in my neighborhood. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

This is what they did to contain diseases in the middle ages.  Not directly comparable to modern America.

I would also say America has yet to experience a plague of the level of the those in the middle ages as well.

The dead were so numerous their bones filled catacombs and even were used in the construction of churches.

Edited by WanderingFool0
addition
  • Like 3

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked