Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would you eat a 3D printed 'steak'?

Eldorado

"Barcelona-based Nova Meat recently unveiled a plant-based steak derived from peas, rice, seaweed and other ingredients.

"Using 3D printing allows the ingredients to be laid down as a criss-cross of filaments, which imitate the intracellular proteins in muscle cells.

""This strategy allows us to define the resulting texture in terms of chewiness and tensile and compression resistance, and to mimic the taste and nutritional properties of a variety of meat and seafood, as well as their appearance," says Guiseppe Scionti, the founder of Nova Meat.

"By next year, he says, restaurants could be printing out the steaks for themselves."

Full article at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51263266

NovaMeat at Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novameat

Peas, rice and seaweed steak sounds good, eh?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

I might eat a 3D printed steak if it was actual 3D printed meat. I might eat lab grown meat if it it safe. I would eat meat out a star trek replicator if it was also replicated meat.  I don't really care for the artificial meat movement though, especially when I can see unscrupulous companies pawning fake vegtable meat off on us real, once it becomes indistinguishable from real meat. 

• Like 6

I'd eat it in a heartbeat! Peas, rice and seaweed all sound like good things to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I mean I would try it, but I probably wouldn't use it to replace steak because I doubt it would taste the same.

However, if we can ever successfully learn to make meat in a lab (and it is safe) then I would eat it over killing the animal 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tuco's Gas said:

Personally I'd have to take a hard "pass" on the 3D bovine flesh.

Hell, I just started trusting microwaved meat a couple years ago. And even now I'll only occasionally warm-up meat dishes in the nuker. I still won't use it to fully cook raw meat. Weird, I know, since I'm a tech and science nerd. Guess I'm Old School when it comes to food prep. There's a dietary/nutritional axiom I have followed...well, tried to, anyway...for years. It goes: "If your Grandmother never heard of it, don't eat it."

Granny don't be eatin' no 3D steak! LOL

I'd eat a 3D printed plant steak over microwaved meat any day of the week.

Edited by moonman
  • Haha 2

Just please 3D print me a female companion and please please me... 

~

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Tuco's Gas said:

Personally I'd have to take a hard "pass" on the 3D bovine flesh.

Hell, I just started trusting microwaved meat a couple years ago. And even now I'll only occasionally warm-up meat dishes in the nuker. I still won't use it to fully cook raw meat. Weird, I know, since I'm a tech and science nerd. Guess I'm Old School when it comes to food prep. There's a dietary/nutritional axiom I have followed...well, tried to, anyway...for years. It goes: "If your Grandmother never heard of it, don't eat it."

Granny don't be eatin' no 3D steak! LOL 

You're also from Texas and know real beef. :yes: I "cowboy'd" in Wagner and all over the Northern Plains. I don't touch beef that didn't come from a friend's pasture so it's a rare treat.

My stepmother use to send me beef packages from her ranch in Nebraska but she sold all her stock because of the fear of the new pipeline springing a leak. 

Microwaved beef is gross...