Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sanders explains where the $ will come from

and-then

33 minutes ago, toast said:

It is? Where and, what "culture" exactly? Barbecue?

A couple of choice quotes on American culture:

"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilisation in between" 

"What do you think of American culture?" 

"I think it would be a good idea." 

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Trump threatened a progressive tariff on all Mexican goods shipped to the USA unless they stopped people from crossing their southern border and allowing them to travel to our southern border.  Effectively Mexico now is the wall and they pay a border patrol to enforce this demand on our behalf.  The number of people travelling from Central America to the USA has dropped drastically as a result.

Tariffs are paid by the citizens of the country that imposes them.  If tariffs are paying for the wall, then it's Americans, not Mexicans doing the paying.

So who is paying for the police to stop people?  Is that Mexico?  How much are we paying them to do it?

Doug

9 minutes ago, Setton said:

"Let us hire some Britons and Germans to find the how-to. Top-priority." :lol:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, toast said:

In general, my interest of modern music is mostly focused on the UK.

Which is derived from American pop music.  All pop music is.

11 minutes ago, toast said:

I do wear jeans (but no US products) but not because of cultural reasons. BTW, the jeans was invented by a guy from Latvia, who emigrated to the US in the 19th century, and a guy from Germany who emigrated to the US in the 19th century as well. Both of them founded Levi Strauss&Co in the US back then.

Yes.  After they were Americans, and after jeans became part of American culture they spread across the world not as a practical thing as it spread here, but because of fashion.  And of course you don't wear them to endorse American culture, but like music, that part of American culture has infiltrated your culture so deeply you don't even recognize it as coming from here.  Much like pizza or tacos are to us.

14 minutes ago, Setton said:

A couple of choice quotes on American culture:

"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilisation in between" 

Ignorant AF, really.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Doug1029 said:

Tariffs are paid by the citizens of the country that imposes them.  If tariffs are paying for the wall, then it's Americans, not Mexicans doing the paying.

So who is paying for the police to stop people?  Is that Mexico?  How much are we paying them to do it?

Doug

The tariffs didn't happen because Mexico capitulated (thank goodness because I love avocados).  Yes Mexico pays their police, not us.  Mexico IS the wall and Mexico IS paying for it.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, aztek said:

lol, a guy with 4 degrees can't see a simple obvious thing like that??? lol, degrees are way overrated, lol

I ask lots of questions to be sure I've got it right.  That's something you don't do.

Doug

21 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Which is derived from American pop music.  All pop music is.

Yeah, no. Pop music developed in UK and US simultaneously, both drawing on each other. 

You might have heard of these guys

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Ignorant AF, really.  

Still waiting to hear what other countries have borrowed from the US in terms of governance... 

13 minutes ago, Setton said:

Yeah, no. Pop music developed in UK and US simultaneously, both drawing on each other. 

You might have heard of these guys

Yeah, the Beatles who gained fame playing covers by American early rock and blues musicians and whose music was based entirely on the structure of the blues (made in the USA).  Pay attention to the word "derived" from the post you quoted.  If it wasn't for American Blues and Rock the Beatles either wouldn't have happened or they would have sounded drastically different.  I'm not insulting the Beatles, England or you by stating that.  The Beatles and most other British bands from the era freely and proudly name their influences as coming from America.  What's the problem with that?  Are you really so bitter you can't admit that the USA has had a huge cultural impact on the planet? 

Personally I love the Beatles.  Some of my earliest memories are of singing their music in the backseat of my mothers car.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Setton said:

Still waiting to hear what other countries have borrowed from the US in terms of governance... 

I don't recall making any such claim.  I would say our form of governance derived more from your parliamentary system than anything original.  That's just natural since that's where most of us originated.

Edited by OverSword

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

yea, beatles is my parents generation music, mine is the queen. 

I was born in 64 so was in maybe 4th grade when Queen hit but the Beatles are higher on my personal list of all time faves.

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I was born in 64 so was in maybe 4th grade when Queen hit but the Beatles are higher on my personal list of all time faves.

As they should be. They were far superior to queen. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, and then said:

So... anyone here who'd like to explain why you'd vote for him?  Also, could you explain how his plan works when the wealthy will just run for cover?

There is a forgotten tool in American politics called compromise.  Bernie may have a vision, but if he is elected president, he still has to play by the rules of politics.  You seriously don't think Mitch and Lindsey and for that matter a lot of Democrats will dive in head first.

It will get whittled down.  There will be cuts and compromises.  We already spend about $3.5 trillion a year on health care.   I doubt anybody will go along with doubling it in the next ten years, but we might raise it 10%.  And we might find some better ways to deliver care in the meantime.  

I would think that many Americans who believe in a right to life would not  want to let infants or their moms die in the first two years of their life  because their moms are poor and can't afford health care.  If we are going to spend a little, that segment could use some of that 10% increase.

Health care, where did it go?

12 hours ago, OverSword said:

I don't recall making any such claim.  I would say our form of governance derived more from your parliamentary system than anything original.  That's just natural since that's where most of us originated.

And yet you still can't admit your country could learn a thing or two about governance from other countries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Setton said:

And yet you still can't admit your country could learn a thing or two about governance from other countries. 

I'll admit that we learned a thing or two about governance from other countries. We learned what not to do.

And for the record. It's Credence Clearwater Revival for the win.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

I'll admit that we learned a thing or two about governance from other countries. We learned what not to do.

:rolleyes:

Yes, yes, America must be perfect in every way.

Whixh is why you remain uncivilised. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Setton said:

Not at all. For example I would love the same food safety regulations or the internet privacy laws of the EU. Believe me, I’m not a fan of my government, just my rights.

19 hours ago, Setton said:

Quotes from the US Declaration of Independence appear in the Constitution of Vietnam.  I could probably find some other examples if I dug a little.

Doug

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Setton said:

:rolleyes:

Yes, yes, America must be perfect in every way.

Whixh is why you remain uncivilised. 

I am inclined to think that some country's culture was obtained from a Petri dish.

Doug

7 hours ago, Setton said:

Our country was founded on learning a thing or two about governance from yours.  The state of our country now has to do with what the designers of our constitution and federal government was trying to guard against, which is greed and lazyness that leads people to want to have a political career where they sell themselves to the highest bidder just to get the position they want.  The libertarians have a lot of it right, but now understanding of how to make it work.  Every politician in DC was meant to volunteer for 2 years then go home to their real life.  It was considered a civic duty, but now after the civil war, or just before, it has become a career where congress and the senate give themselves raises and vote the way their owners tell them to.  I suspect that is how it is in your country as well, you just think it is better because you are more comfortable paying attention to our politics and ignoring your own.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

Not at all. For example I would love the same food safety regulations or the internet privacy laws of the EU. Believe me, I’m not a fan of my government, just my rights.

You mean your right to life? 

Provided you can afford the healthcare of course. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Our country was founded on learning a thing or two about governance from yours.  The state of our country now has to do with what the designers of our constitution and federal government was trying to guard against, which is greed and lazyness that leads people to want to have a political career where they sell themselves to the highest bidder just to get the position they want.  The libertarians have a lot of it right, but now understanding of how to make it work.  Every politician in DC was meant to volunteer for 2 years then go home to their real life.  It was considered a civic duty, but now after the civil war, or just before, it has become a career where congress and the senate give themselves raises and vote the way their owners tell them to.  I suspect that is how it is in your country as well, you just think it is better because you are more comfortable paying attention to our politics and ignoring your own.

The original claim by OverSword was that the world wants to emulate the US (in the context of governance). 

Nobody so far has presented any evidence for this. 

All they have presented are historic examples of the US learning from other countries. 

Meanwhile, in the present, people constantly insist things that other countries do successfully are completely impossible. The US js completely unwilling to admit imperfection in the present.