Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sanders explains where the $ will come from

and-then

6 minutes ago, Setton said:

The original claim by OverSword was that the world wants to emulate the US (in the context of governance). 

Nobody so far has presented any evidence for this. 

All they have presented are historic examples of the US learning from other countries. 

Meanwhile, in the present, people constantly insist things that other countries do successfully are completely impossible. The US js completely unwilling to admit imperfection in the present. 

Maybe OverSword was confused.  The U.S. has been helping the UK push "democracy" around the world and it is not the democracy of the U.S. as our federal government is a representative republic, not a democracy, though most states have leanings towards democracy, my experience is that Oregon is the most democratic (not big D party). 

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

Maybe OverSword was confused.  The U.S. has been helping the UK push "democracy" around the world and it is not the democracy of the U.S. as our federal government is a representative republic, not a democracy, though most states have leanings towards democracy, my experience is that Oregon is the most democratic (not big D party). 

It's the US version of democracy (through a republic) the US has been exporting by conquest, not the UK representative democracy and constitutional monarchy. 

6 minutes ago, Setton said:

It's the US version of democracy (through a republic) the US has been exporting by conquest, not the UK representative democracy and constitutional monarchy. 

Who was in Afghanistan first?  Or rather, who admits to being in Afghanistan first? 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Who was in Afghanistan first?  Or rather, who admits to being in Afghanistan first? 

No, the question is not around who got their first. It's who is in a position to impose their political system. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Setton said:

You mean your right to life? 

Provided you can afford the healthcare of course. 

You know nothing about my healthcare (insurance), and I can of course afford it.  Any monies beyond what's covered by my policy is in a tax free bank account that I contribute to over time which currently contains more than I could be required to spend for the current year.  So in other words any healthcare I require would cost me the same as yours, as small stipend out of my pay.

I'm not sure what you're getting at?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Setton said:

The original claim by OverSword was that the world wants to emulate the US (in the context of governance). 

When did I claim that?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

You know nothing about my healthcare (insurance), and I can of course afford it.  Any monies beyond what's covered by my policy is in a tax free bank account that I contribute to over time which currently contains more than I could be required to spend for the current year.  So in other words any healthcare I require would cost me the same as yours, as small stipend out of my pay.

Maybe that it's not just about you? 

When did I claim that?

On 2/25/2020 at 5:08 PM, OverSword said:

I wonder why our barbaric culture is so popular globally?

Can you roll over what is left in the account at the end of the year and continue to accumulate over the years?  If so I want to know who your insurer is because at the end of the year if we choose that kind of account we loose it to the insurer and have to start over every year.  That is why I don't participate in it because I don't have a lot of medical costs. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Setton said:

I didn't say anything about government then, now did I?  And our culture is popular. You tried argue counter to that point and failed already so just p*** off.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Setton said:

On 2/25/2020 at 10:08 AM, OverSword said:

Setton, that is not a reference to government it is a reference to culture which your country fostered around the world.  Your empire made all it's subjugated countries emulate your culture.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Setton said:

Maybe that it's not just about you? 

So?  You don't really seem like a greater good type if it's an inconvenience for you so what do you care?  I'm pretty sure you were born into the system you're in and did nothing to create it so you don't really know how you would feel about it if you had the accident of being born here.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I didn't say anything about government then, now did I?  And our culture is popular. You tried argue counter to that point and failed already

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Setton, that is not a reference to government it is a reference to culture which your country fostered around the world.  Your empire made all it's subjugated countries emulate your culture.

As OverSword is perfectly aware, the context was the US's unwillingness to provide for its citizens basic needs rendering it uncivilised.

It was nothing to do with music or films. I clarified this in a subsequent post. 

so just p*** off.

No. 

Just now, Setton said:

As OverSword is perfectly aware, the context was the US's unwillingness to provide for its citizens basic needs rendering it uncivilised.

It was nothing to do with music or films. I clarified this in a subsequent post. 

No. 

You're the one that referenced culture Setton.  All I did was point out the obvious about our culture.  You should really use some of your NHS to see a shrink and get some pills I think.

• Like 2

So?  You don't really seem like a greater good type if it's an inconvenience for you so what do you care? 

An odd assessment given I've spent the last several days trying to stop you encouraging terrorist attacks I will never be the target of... 

Care to explain your reasoning? 

I'm pretty sure you were born into the system you're in and did nothing to create it so you don't really know how you would feel about it if you had the accident of being born here.

Just as you have no experience of actual healthcare. 

And yet so many of you categorically state it is completely impossible and can never happen. 

Even though it does all over the world. 

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

You're the one that referenced culture Setton.  All I did was point out the obvious about our culture. 

No. You brought up culture in the post I quoted above. 

I just described the US as uncivilised.

If you're going to lie, at least don't do so right below a written record that proves you wrong... 

You should really use some of your NHS to see a shrink and get some pills I think.

And so we're down to the personal attack stage of the 'debate'.

What happened to you? You used to be quite a reasonable and intelligent poster. These days any discussion with you deteriorates into you denying reality and name calling. 

10 minutes ago, Setton said:

And so we're down to the personal attack stage of the 'debate'.

I apologize.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Oregon is rapidly becoming Democratic (with a Big D).

Doug

4 minutes ago, Doug1029 said:

Oregon is rapidly becoming Democratic (with a Big D).

Doug

Well, considering they do hold legislative meetings to change or create laws based on the populations petitions and allow a vote to decide a lot of things (like the time they changed the laws to not allow anyone untrained to operate the gas pump) the are democratic.   Everyone voted on that one and did not seem to care that it cost more, they just wanted to be safe.  And the republicans obviously make a point of telling people they don't matter.  So if there is no viable 3rd option, what choice do they think they have.  Not too many like the libertarians, which is the only viable option at the moment, and no one wants to be the person to start a new campaign to change the voting rules. 

Not to be confused with the Democratic Party, which also makes a point of making sure people know they are not represented by that group either.

Though, it seems like Oregon, rather than Maine, would have been the first to switch to ranked choice voting.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well, considering they do hold legislative meetings to change or create laws based on the populations petitions and allow a vote to decide a lot of things (like the time they changed the laws to not allow anyone untrained to operate the gas pump) the are democratic.   Everyone voted on that one and did not seem to care that it cost more, they just wanted to be safe.  And the republicans obviously make a point of telling people they don't matter.  So if there is no viable 3rd option, what choice do they think they have.  Not too many like the libertarians, which is the only viable option at the moment, and no one wants to be the person to start a new campaign to change the voting rules. 

Not to be confused with the Democratic Party, which also makes a point of making sure people know they are not represented by that group either.

Though, it seems like Oregon, rather than Maine, would have been the first to switch to ranked choice voting.

The routes I usually use through Oregon are along the Columbia River where one can go over to Washington to fill up.  With a little planning out-of-staters can get around the higher gas prices.  It's the residents who have to pay most of the increase.

Doug

1 minute ago, Doug1029 said:

The routes I usually use through Oregon are along the Columbia River where one can go over to Washington to fill up.  With a little planning out-of-staters can get around the higher gas prices.  It's the residents who have to pay most of the increase.

Doug

Yes, but they voted for it, so it is not a problem.  New Jersy also had a law against people pumping their own gas but I can't remember why.  They have recently changed it so that people do pump their own gas.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

That's due to referendum, not because of being more democratic than republic.  If you get enough signatures on a petition you can bring things up for a public vote in any state.  That is the method we are going to have to use on things like campaign finance reform and term limits. I'm sure you know that, not trying to talk down.

Edited by OverSword

31 minutes ago, Doug1029 said:

Doug

You're not one of those jerks on Axe Men are you :lol:

2IJDXYKA6URLQEDT2TDTOCXK4A.jpg

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

That's due to referendum, not because of being more democratic than republic.  If you get enough signatures on a petition you can bring things up for a public vote in any state.  That is the method we are going to have to use on things like campaign finance reform and term limits. I'm sure you know not trying to talk down.

Well, I see Oregon doing it better and faster, which is more democratic.  In New Mexico petitions happen all the time and we do have special elections but it takes years for the legislators to argue about how to manage what ever the voters want.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well, I see Oregon doing it better and faster, which is more democratic.  In New Mexico petitions happen all the time and we do have special elections but it takes years for the legislators to argue about how to manage what ever the voters want.

Yeah, a referendum was just passed to limit car tabs to $30 here but the government has challenged it in court.