Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Animal that doesn't breathe discovered

UM-Bot

57 minutes ago, aztek said:

it is a parasite, it gets nutrients and o2 from the host, and it prbly dumps co2, and other waste in the host as well, 

Ah.   Thanks aztek, so it does use oxygen...but gets it from it's host's blood , I assume. ?    No lungs though huh? Evolved out of a need for lungs...weird.

As Spock would say..."fascinating"

2 hours ago, aztek said:

it is a parasite, it gets nutrients and o2 from the host, and it prbly dumps co2, and other waste in the host as well, 

Well without mitochondrial genome it will have a hard time using it like we are... it's the site of aerobic energy production. It have another mean elsewhere maybe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I sense, a great disturbance... 

~

21 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

Well without mitochondrial genome it will have a hard time using it like we are... it's the site of aerobic energy production. It have another mean elsewhere maybe.

several years ago i heard israelis developed a way to inject o2 right into human bloodstream, no need for lungs, in theory, but that article said nothing about removing unneeded co2 from blood,  which is what lungs do as well. and how the device will regulate co2\o2 ratio in our blood,  neither i heard about that ever again, prbly a "marketing trick" to get funds, but the idea is interesting 

27 minutes ago, aztek said:

several years ago i heard israelis developed a way to inject o2 right into human bloodstream, no need for lungs, in theory, but that article said nothing about removing unneeded co2 from blood,  which is what lungs do as well. and how the device will regulate co2\o2 ratio in our blood,  neither i heard about that ever again, prbly a "marketing trick" to get funds, but the idea is interesting 

Yeah we can inject it directly or use other mean to get O2 or getting it from the skin like amphibian or ascaris (round worm), but you need mitochondrial genome to use O2 to produce energy like burning sugar... It cannot use it, it seems.

Edited by Jon the frog

13 hours ago, aztek said:

It was interesting read but then the party breaker came :D

7bebd458-dfe9-4c35-beee-da10caaaa99b.jpg

Edited by MissJatti
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, aztek said:

Nowhere did I see anything about it getting o2 from any source. I did however read that "It may have oxygen free breathing"..

• Like 1