Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Two new species of cockroaches found in amber

Still Waters

An international team of researchers has identified two new ancient species of cockroach found in a cave in Myanmar. In their paper published in the journal Gondwana Research, the group describes their analyses of the two specimens, which were preserved in amber.

The two specimens were given the names Crenocticola svadba and Mulleriblattina bowangi and were placed in the Nocticolidae family—and both have been dated back to approximately 99 million years ago. The time frame puts them in the Cretaceous period—a time when dinosaurs were still alive. They were discovered among amber deposits that had been removed from a mine in the Hukawng Valley, in Myanmar. The mine and its amber have been the subject of numerous studies. In this new effort, the researchers were provided with 110 tons of amber to study. Prior researchers had already dated the amber by dating volcanic rocks in the same location.

https://phys.org/news/2020-02-ancient-species-cockroaches-cave-myanmar.html

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00534-2

• Like 4

The two specimens were given the names

Crenocticola svadba

and

Mulleriblattina bowangi

Why such long names we can just about pronounce?

Whats wrong with C0ck and Roach? 

Edited by freetoroam

I have only one irrational fear and that's cockroaches. I don't even like seeing pest control commercials. I'll never forget when I lived in South  Florida. They were giant red roaches. There droppings were so big, you could see it with the naked eye. The building I worked in was infested, but they hid during the day. I once went into a store room and there was a huge roach on the floor. It started (I kid you not) charging at me I jumped over it because I thought I was crazy and the disgusting thing did a 180 and charged me again. I couldn't believe what was happening. "Why didn't you smash it with your foot?" Because, I didn't want to touch it and I especially hated the crunch they made when you stepped on them.

You can throw me in a pit of snakes, I'll walk thru a rat infested sewer, spiders? Nothing! But one roach sends me up the wall.

Edited by jbondo