Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Court rules Trump can withhold funds

aztek

This guy just keeps on winning. 

NEW YORK (Reuters) - President Donald Trump's administration can withhold millions of dollars in law enforcement funds from states and cities that refuse to cooperate with federal immigration authorities, a U.S. appeals court ruled on Wednesday.

The unanimous decision by a three-judge panel of the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan was a victory for Trump in his years-long fight with so-called sanctuary jurisdictions.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/court-rules-trump-withhold-funds-174219507.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, indeed and it is making his enemies LOSE THEIR MIIIINNDS.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, and then said:

It seams good things come in small packages, but I don't think the battle is over yet.

Peace

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 12:30 PM, and then said:

Nah, it is just a long term plan to show that states right's are overruled by the federal government.  

9 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Nah, it is just a long term plan to show that states right's are overruled by the federal government.  

No it shows that individual rights are not over ruled by the states. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, acidhead said:

Supreme Court ruling today

wow, USSC had to hear the case of whether or not it is a crime????  now that is an indicator our country is on the wrong track

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

No it shows that individual rights are not over ruled by the states. 

Well, that is going to be the interesting one isn't it.  I am not sure how individual rights play into this decision.  But I do think, it will test the power of the states against the federal government.  It is smart that the precedent be set on an issue that conservatives favor,. What conservative will stand up for sanctuary cities?  It may not be so funny when the federal government enforces a decision conservatives don't like.

46 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Well, that is going to be the interesting one isn't it.  I am not sure how individual rights play into this decision.  But I do think, it will test the power of the states against the federal government.  It is smart that the precedent be set on an issue that conservatives favor,. What conservative will stand up for sanctuary cities?  It may not be so funny when the federal government enforces a decision conservatives don't like.

Hey I'm very much for states rights on several fronts. I'm not for states being able to protect criminals. Which in many cases that's what they do. They often wont allow ICE to detain illegals as they are let out of jail/prison for a wide range of offenses. Some have gone as far as letting gang members know when to hide when the feds come for them. Heck nearly half of our own supreme court doesn't see identity theft by illegals as a crime. That's giving illegals more rights than our own citizens.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aztek said:

wow, USSC had to hear the case of whether or not it is a crime????  now that is an indicator our country is on the wrong track

And nearly half of them think it isn't. SMH

3 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Hey I'm very much for states rights on several fronts. I'm not for states being able to protect criminals. Which in many cases that's what they do. They often wont allow ICE to detain illegals as they are let out of jail/prison for a wide range of offenses. Some have gone as far as letting gang members know when to hide when the feds come for them. Heck nearly half of our own supreme court doesn't see identity theft by illegals as a crime. That's giving illegals more rights than our own citizens.

On some of that I agree with you.  It depends on how far it goes.  I think states can refuse to do the job of ICE which is a federal agency.  That is not to say they should obstruct them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

It may not be so funny when the federal government enforces a decision conservatives don't like.

Abortion?  ;)

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

Abortion? 

That might be one, another might be putting assault rifles on the list with machine guns bazookas, RPG's and hand grenades as weapons unavailable to the general public. Enforcement of federal policies on local school districts might be yet another.

• Like 1

we already have such ban, assault rifles are only available to army, leo and class 3 license holders,   what left calls assault rifle is only a self loading rifle. 

bazookas, rpgs are called destructive devices, highly regulated but legal in some jurisdiction,  machine guns are also legal, actually civilians own more machine guns than us armed forces, also highly regulated, fall under nfa rules,  

it helps to know real world laws, 

Edited by aztek
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aztek said:

bazookas, rpgs are called destructive devices, highly regulated but legal in some jurisdiction,  machine guns are also legal, actually civilians own more machine guns than us armed forces, also highly regulated, fall under nfa rules,  

it helps to know real world laws, 

Thanks. Good information.  I am a little bit less ignorant.  Not much by your standards probably.  I just read up on NFA ownership.  I see your point.  Looks like a $200 dollar license for an RPG and $200 per projectile.  Machine guns from 1986 or before?

Depends on the state and jurisdiction I think?  Then  the point remains that many folks would not like the federal government to override these state laws with tighter restrictions.

afaik not a single legal nfa weapon owner, ever used one to commit any mass shooting,  or any crime, at least it was never reported in the media,

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 3:30 AM, aztek said:

afaik not a single legal nfa weapon owner, ever used one to commit any mass shooting,  or any crime, at least it was never reported in the media,

Well, that's just down to a matter of practicality, surely ? 

"Man rushes into a crowded McDonalds lugging a belt-fed WW2 machine gun". 

RIGHT... that's IT... I'm sick of the CIA sending messages into my brain. You're ALL going to get it now.... 

< fiddles with tripod, lifts machine gun onto it and locks it down, gets belt of bullets out of box, loads belt into machine gun... fiddle-fiddle-fiddle... > OK, get ready to die you.... oh... blast... they've all b*****ed off :( 

Edited by RoofGardener

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Well, that's just down to a matter of practicality, surely ? 

"Man rushes into a crowded McDonalds lugging a belt-fed WW2 machine gun". 

RIGHT... that's IT... I'm sick of the CIA sending messages into my brain. You're ALL going to get it now.... 

< fiddles with tripod, lifts machine gun onto it and locks it down, gets belt of bullets out of box, loads belt into machine gun... fiddle-fiddle-fiddle... > OK, get ready to die you.... oh... blast... they've all b*****ed off :( 

short barreled submachine gun falls under "machine gun" definition of ATF, such as mini uzi, mp5, or a mac 10, as well as fully automatic pistols, 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 7:25 PM, Tatetopa said:

That issue seemed to be settled when southern states decided they'd nullify federal law and president Lincoln said, "no, I don't think so".  The Constitution was all about specifically limiting the power of a central government and within 100 years we threw that out for the opposite situation.

Isn't it ironic that unscreened and undocumented illegal aliens with the Wuhan Virus, who make it across the border, will, mostly, be flocking to Sanctuary Cities? 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Isn't it ironic that unscreened and undocumented illegal aliens with the Wuhan Virus, who make it across the border, will, mostly, be flocking to Sanctuary Cities? 

There haven't been many cases in South America as of yet.  If anything they would be coming here to get infected.

3 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

The most progressive states are the most infected.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1