Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Waspie_Dwarf

Exquisite Planetary Nebula

Waspie_Dwarf

Gemini South Telescope Captures Exquisite Planetary Nebula

oir2006a.jpg

The latest image from the international Gemini Observatory showcases the striking planetary nebula CVMP 1. This object is the result of the death throes of a giant star and is a glorious but relatively short-lived astronomical spectacle. As the progenitor star of this planetary nebula slowly cools, this celestial hourglass will run out of time and will slowly fade from view over many thousands of years.

Located roughly 6500 light-years away in the southern constellation of Circinus (The Compass) this astronomical beauty formed during the final death throes of a massive star.

arrow3.gif Read More: Gemini Observatory

• Like 4

joc

Nice!  One of the largest Nebulas...I haven't seen any data on how large it is...but they say it is one of the largest we've seen.

• Like 1

Waspie_Dwarf
31 minutes ago, joc said:

Nice!  One of the largest Nebulas..

One of the largest planetary nebula. This is a specific type of nebula formed by a red giant star, There are other types of nebula that can be far larger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

joc
1 minute ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

One of the largest planetary nebula. This is a specific type of nebula formed by a red giant star, There are other types of nebula that can be far larger.

Right!  Thanks!  Like the Eagle Nebula...I was looking at that one...and many others...the Eagle is like 70 by 55 light years.  

image.jpeg.4a20ec0a120e8526aee1ab73bda13237.jpeg

• Like 1

Waspie_Dwarf
33 minutes ago, joc said:

Right!  Thanks!  Like the Eagle Nebula...I was looking at that one...and many others...the Eagle is like 70 by 55 light years.  

image.jpeg.4a20ec0a120e8526aee1ab73bda13237.jpeg

I can't find out exactly how big CVMP 1 is, but planetary nebula typically aren't much bigger than 1 light year across. Some nebulae can be thousands of ly across.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

joc
57 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

I can't find out exactly how big CVMP 1 is, but planetary nebula typically aren't much bigger than 1 light year across. Some nebulae can be thousands of ly across.

The Mask Nebula

491465655_masknebula.jpg.4ef1217929c9067d52c4be0ebc09bda1.jpg

I don't know what they are even talking about but I figure maybe you have a clue.