Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

US gets its first safe 'injection site'

43 posts in this topic

Eldorado

"A federal judge has paved the way for a facility to open in Philadelphia that would allow and supervise the injection of illegal drugs, an arrangement that would be the first of its kind in the United States.

"The ruling sparked anger among those where the facility is scheduled to open but support from some social workers and other advocates who believe it will be effective in bringing help to drug users."

Full report at CNN: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/26/us/philadelphia-supervised-injection-site/index.html

"After a two-year battle, the Philadelphia nonprofit Safehouse says next week it will open the first space in the U.S. where people struggling with addiction can use opioids and other illegal drugs under the supervision of trained staff. "

And at NPR: https://www.npr.org/2020/02/26/809608489/philadelphia-nonprofit-opening-nations-first-supervised-injection-site-next-week

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Not A Rockstar

Sad. I don't know what to think about this. But, it makes me sad.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

acidhead

"bringing help to users"... 

Safe injection sites are here in my city Victoria, BC Canada.  

Feel-good solution.  Offering free drugs encourages poor personal choices.

Sure some will, for once, get help.  But that's also a personal choice.  

What results next from encouraging poor personal choices is a rise in drug addicts and homelessness.  

Thus, a call for FREE housing for homeless government drug addicts.

This is exactly what's resulted here in Victoria.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Eldorado

Not so fast...

"Plans to open the first "safe drug injection site" in the US have been scrapped after being met with opposition in Philadelphia."

At the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51669192

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

aztek

years ago i heard on tv that cocaine vaccine was developed,  once injected a person is immune to coke effect.  a person just wont get high, it was tested and it worked, but it never materialized, guess drug trade makes not just dealers, and cartels rich.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

aztek

i heard rikers island is getting closed up soon, might as well do it there. and house them there permanently, i bet tens of thousands will line up from all over usa, just need to build few ovens, for cremations, cuz many will never leave. 

Edited by aztek
  • Sad 1

DarkHunter
7 minutes ago, aztek said:

years ago i heard on tv that cocaine vaccine was developed,  once injected a person is immune to coke effect.  a person just wont get high, it was tested and it worked, but it never materialized, guess drug trade makes not just dealers, and cartels rich.

The problem with the vaccine, which did work initially, was that it didnt work good enough.  Essentially the vaccine worked by getting antibodies to attack the coke in the blood stream so it couldnt get into the brain and it did work.  The problem was in further testing it showed that people were getting around it by taking even more coke. 

The human body can only produce so many antibodies at a time and it ends up it's very possible to take enough coke to overwhelm the antibodies and still get high.

• Thanks 4

Tuco's Gas
1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

"A federal judge has paved the way for a facility to open in Philadelphia that would allow and supervise the injection of illegal drugs, an arrangement that would be the first of its kind in the United States.

"The ruling sparked anger among those where the facility is scheduled to open but support from some social workers and other advocates who believe it will be effective in bringing help to drug users."

Full report at CNN: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/26/us/philadelphia-supervised-injection-site/index.html

"After a two-year battle, the Philadelphia nonprofit Safehouse says next week it will open the first space in the U.S. where people struggling with addiction can use opioids and other illegal drugs under the supervision of trained staff. "

And at NPR: https://www.npr.org/2020/02/26/809608489/philadelphia-nonprofit-opening-nations-first-supervised-injection-site-next-week

This might be a portent of things to come in the US. Some European countries, mostly in the Scandinavian region, like Norway and Sweden, have had Safe Injection sites for years. They seem to work: crime remains low; the addicts pretty much keep to themselves and segregated from society where they cause little trouble; and drug abuse along with related crimes haven't increased, and even dropped in some areas. 

It all sounds counter-intuitive,  I know. Especially to Americans. Most of us see it as capitulation to criminals. But the time may have come to realize that America's War on Drugs has been an unfathomably  expensive failure. We've waited far too long to de-criminalize marijuana, so perhaps we shouldn't wait much longer in realizing that you cannot legislate morality, nor stop an addict from feeding his addiction if he really wants to.

As long as there is a demand, supply will always find a way.

• Like 5

spartan max2

I've always had missed feelings about this. One of my professors when I was in college was a former drug addict and was hugely in favor of it.

Programs like OP follow the principle of Harm Reduction theory, if anyone is curious.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harm_reduction

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

susieice

It did not work. People carried on so bad the building that was going to allow it in revoked the lease. The people in Philadelphia don't want this.

https://6abc.com/5972240/

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/supervised-injection-site-no-longer-opening-at-south-philly-plaza/2309477/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

susieice

Not so fast...

"Plans to open the first "safe drug injection site" in the US have been scrapped after being met with opposition in Philadelphia."

I just posted some links El. The people of Philadelphia put a screeching halt to this. They were originally going to put it in the Kensington section which is already loaded with drugs, gangs and murders. The building they were going to lease has doctor's offices and a day care center in it and is close to an elementary school. The people aren't having it. They went nuts! There were big arguments about what happens when the addicts leave the building. And what about all the dealers and gangs and prostitutes that will flock to the location.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 4

Tuco's Gas

Not so fast...

Ahh...The "NIMBY" syndrome strikes again!

• Like 1

susieice
10 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

Ahh...The "NIMBY" syndrome strikes again!

It didn't take 24 hours for the people to stop this. The city officials should have seen this coming. People were not quiet about this since the idea first surfaced. They told them to put it in Rittenhouse Square or Chestnut Hill. It really makes news when something happens there. For those who don't know, these are the most expensive areas in the city. In other words, next door to the mayor and the judge. Philadelphia is full of drug infested neighborhoods where the murder rate is high. You just don't go into those areas.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

Tuco's Gas
4 minutes ago, susieice said:

It didn't take 24 hours for the people to stop this. The city officials should have seen this coming. People were not quiet about this since the idea first surfaced. They told them to put it in Rittenhouse Square or Chestnut Hill. For those who don't know, these are the most expensive areas in the city. In other words, next door to the mayor and the judge. Philadelphia is full of drug infested neighborhoods where the murder rate is high. 

So? Time window in vetoing is irrelevant to my statement that this story is just another incidence of NIMBY at work. You DO know what that is, right?

susieice
3 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

So? Time window in vetoing is irrelevant to my statement that this story is just another incidence of NIMBY at work. You DO know what that is, right?

People have objected for a long time and will continue to. You do understand that, don't you? They won't get it anywhere.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

Tuco's Gas
12 minutes ago, susieice said:

People have objected for a long time and will continue to. You do understand that, don't you? They won't get it anywhere.

They've had it in Europe for years. Look it up. Read my OP. LOL 

Did You get hit in the head this morning?

Edited by Tuco's Gas

susieice
Just now, Tuco's Gas said:

They've had it in Europe for years. Look it up. Read my OP. 

Well, maybe Dallas or Houston can be the first. Personally, I'm surprised California isn't already loaded with them. They thrive on stuff like this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

susieice
3 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

They've had it in Europe for years. Look it up. Read my OP. LOL 

Did You get hit in the head this morning?

Troll. 

• Like 3

Tuco's Gas
Just now, susieice said:

Well, maybe Dallas or Houston can be the first. Personally, I'm surprised California isn't already loaded with them. They thrive on stuff like this.

They've been giving out free needles in some US cities for over 20 years. That's almost the same as a Safe Site. Methadone clinics have been around for over 4 decades.

• Like 1

susieice
Just now, Tuco's Gas said:

They've been giving out free needles in some US cities for over 20 years. That's almost the same as a Safe Site. Methadone clinics have been around for over 4 decades.

It's not happening. Get over it! Maybe you can convince Dallas it should be the first to do this and gain the prestige.

• Like 1

Tuco's Gas
1 minute ago, susieice said:

Troll. 

I have a low tolerance for obtuseness.

aztek
11 minutes ago, susieice said:

not really, from what california gvmnt does it seems they try very hard to make things worse anyway they can, this would make things better,  you would not see that many addicts on the streets, they would be living in that center,  tuco's gas is right.  i would like them to do it in nyc, at rikers island, which is now a correctional facility that will be closed soon, it is a perfect place, it is an island, let all homeless addicts live there away from everyone else.  actually this may bring more federal funds to the state or a city,  it would be huge win win for ny.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

susieice
1 minute ago, Tuco's Gas said:

I have a low tolerance for obtuseness.

:lol:

• Haha 2

susieice
Just now, aztek said:

not really, from what california gvmnt does it seems that try very hard to make things worse anyway they can, this would make things better,  you would not see that many addicts on the streets, they would be living in that center,  tuco's gas is right.  i would like them to do it in nyc, at rikers island, which is now a correctional facility that will be closed soon, it is a perfect place, it is an island, let all addicts live there away from everyone else. 

This is in a building complex that contains a day care center and other businesses. It's also by an elementary school. A place like Riker's Island is more isolated and won't affect everyone's daily lives. As an island and a proper facility, the addicts and their suppliers (cause they won't be getting their drugs for free) would be in a good place.  All the site was to be is a place where they could shoot up and have someone with Narcan watching in case they overdose. Narcan isn't effective though if there is an appreciable amount of fentynol present. They aren't going to give them heroin.

California just has them living all over the streets.

• Like 3

susieice
16 minutes ago, aztek said:

not really, from what california gvmnt does it seems they try very hard to make things worse anyway they can, this would make things better,  you would not see that many addicts on the streets, they would be living in that center,  tuco's gas is right.  i would like them to do it in nyc, at rikers island, which is now a correctional facility that will be closed soon, it is a perfect place, it is an island, let all homeless addicts live there away from everyone else.  actually this may bring more federal funds to the state or a city,  it would be huge win win for ny.

Just wanted to add aztek, Narcan is also not effective on a non opioid, such as cocaine or meth. Also pills, like *** Spam filter *** or Valium. Even on the site, they need to be immediately rushed to a hospital, or they will overdose and die. Also if they used one of these drugs in combination with the heroin. 

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2