Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New phone feature lets you dump Google Search

Eldorado

"The different search options available to you will vary depending on which country you’re based in.

"In the UK, you’ll be offered choices of Bing, DuckDuckGo, and Info.com at set-up, while Android users in Ireland can choose from DuckDuckGo, Info.com, and PrivacyWall.

"Yandex will be available in a number of countries including Finland, Poland, Slovakia, and Romania, while Qwant pops up as a choice in Denmark, France, and Greece.

"Regardless of where you are in the EEA, Google Search will always be offered as an option.

"One does not simply walk out of Mordor."

Full report at TrustedReviews dot com: https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/android-choice-screen-march-2020-3989749

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 4

Most of the time I have Google 'disabled'...but...it can be 'enabled' just as quickly. 

The thing about disabling Google is that GPS doesn't work...and Microphones don't work.  All microphones apparently are powered by Google.  All GPS apparently is powered by Google.

Another thing....When GPS is on and you are Googling destinations, am I the only one that finds it peculiar that the 'fastest' route always seems to involve a Toll Road?  Even when the Toll Road is completely a parking lot??  

I don't trust Google.  I think they listen to everything you say...I think they catalog everywhere you go.  I think that eventually all AI will spy on us via Google.  

But for now...one can disable it on an android and I think that is just awesome!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, joc said:

Most of the time I have Google 'disabled'...but...it can be 'enabled' just as quickly. 

The thing about disabling Google is that GPS doesn't work...and Microphones don't work.  All microphones apparently are powered by Google.  All GPS apparently is powered by Google.

Another thing....When GPS is on and you are Googling destinations, am I the only one that finds it peculiar that the 'fastest' route always seems to involve a Toll Road?  Even when the Toll Road is completely a parking lot??  

I don't trust Google.  I think they listen to everything you say...I think they catalog everywhere you go.  I think that eventually all AI will spy on us via Google.  

But for now...one can disable it on an android and I think that is just awesome!

I noticed that too, so I use SIri instead of google.  An iPhone defualts to Safari, which uses DuckDuckgo, but you can use google if you want.  Google directions are crap compared to Siri.

• Like 1