Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

YouTube within its rights to censor content

Eldorado

"YouTube is not a "public forum" that must guarantee users' rights to free speech, a US court has ruled.

"The case involved right-wing channel PragerU, which argued YouTube was infringing its rights by "censoring" its conservative views.

"But judges decided that the US Constitution's First Amendment did not apply to YouTube, a private company.

"The landmark ruling by US judges could affect future cases involving freedom of speech online."

Full report at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51658341

And at cNet: https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-isnt-bound-by-first-amendment-court-rules/

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"YouTube is not a "public forum" that must guarantee users' rights to free speech, a US court has ruled.

"The case involved right-wing channel PragerU, which argued YouTube was infringing its rights by "censoring" its conservative views.

"But judges decided that the US Constitution's First Amendment did not apply to YouTube, a private company.

"The landmark ruling by US judges could affect future cases involving freedom of speech online."

Full report at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51658341

And at cNet: https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-isnt-bound-by-first-amendment-court-rules/

It's essentially business as usual then.
They can and will do what they want to serve their own interests without concern of anything else.

I'm kind of numb to it now and haven't had an interest in posting to youtube for a long time. Learnt my lesson from the "Adpocalypse".

2010's - YouTube = A place where people share different opinions.

2020's - YouTube  = A place where people share the same opinion.

Will be a cause of celebration when YouTube is terminated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

2010's - YouTube = A place where people share different opinions.

2020's - YouTube  = A place where people share the same opinion.

Will be a cause of celebration when YouTube is terminated.

This isn't even close to being correct. I don't frequent youtube, but even a cursory search proves this false. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

This isn't even close to being correct. I don't frequent youtube, but even a cursory search proves this false. 

Ten years ago you could upload all kinds of videos and you were allowed to tell viewers what you felt and give your personal opinions on controversial subjects and all comments were welcome.  Fast forward to now.  Comments are censored, videos are flagged as hate speech by trolls or by the 'snowflake mob' and taken down (in some cases entire channels are taken down), key words are detected by the new algorithms which forces videos to become demonetized, music in the background is detected which causes a copyright strike, continuous adverts pop up, and big corporations now dominate the main page of results.  Many of the channels I subscribed to are long gone.  They probably realized that YouTube was not an open platform for discussion and the algorithms now allow left wing channels to dominate the site.  e.g.  Every time I search for news material relating to Trump, the top three results are nearly always from the Washington Post (left wing) the Guardian (left wing) and CNN (left wing).

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

Ten years ago you could upload all kinds of videos and you were allowed to tell viewers what you felt and give your personal opinions on controversial subjects and all comments were welcome.  Fast forward to now.  Comments are censored, videos are flagged as hate speech by trolls or by the 'snowflake mob' and taken down (in some cases entire channels are taken down), key words are detected by the new algorithms which forces videos to become demonetized, music in the background is detected which causes a copyright strike, continuous adverts pop up, and big corporations now dominate the main page of results.  Many of the channels I subscribed to are long gone.  They probably realized that YouTube was not an open platform for discussion and the algorithms now allow left wing channels to dominate the site.  e.g.  Every time I search for news material relating to Trump, the top three results are nearly always from the Washington Post (left wing) the Guardian (left wing) and CNN (left wing).

There is more than plenty conservative tripe on YouTube. It's a cesspool of it, in fact. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Eldorado said:

This will be overturned eventually.  In the beginning, companies that supplied electricity or phones to people were private companies.  It didn't change the fact that they were so widespread and necessary to everyday life that they could just pick and choose who they'd supply their services to.  Social media has become THE means of public expression/speech.  Censoring only one group cannot be allowed since the cost for establishing another platform for speech is vastly prohibitive and would be fought by Facebook, Youtube, et al.  They cannot have it both ways.

• Like 1

Yes Youtubers vids get demonetized but you can join fair tube

Edited by 'Walt' E. Kurtz
  • Like 1

I've seen youtubers demonitized because they were deemed "too sexy", though they broke no rules. All it takes is enough trolls filing complaints.

• Like 1

I visit YouTube on occasion but no longer post comments (since they shadow banned me). Shadow banning transcends above censorship, its extremely manipulative and creepy. Hope they rot..especially the nazi CEO.

I still post on YouTube, and I've found they dont censor unless you're going off the F-ing handle. I suppose it depends on if who you are commenting on is popular with YT, or not. I've seen some political videos with comments that are simply horrendous, evil, violent, deviant...

41 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I still post on YouTube, and I've found they dont censor unless you're going off the F-ing handle. I suppose it depends on if who you are commenting on is popular with YT, or not. I've seen some political videos with comments that are simply horrendous, evil, violent, deviant...

My comment wasnt actually that bad. I said Oprah looked like Hitler waving around hands (during speech at award ceremony). Logged into another account and it vanished.

YouTube is no different to any other platform with regards to commenting, including this one, in that it is moderated.

With regard to content.  It’s all there, but I do think YouTube’s business model, that if advertising has totally gone berserk and You Tube has adopted a model that panders to corporate advertising, that is also open to copyright strike abuse, with regard to the apocalypse, it was inevitable, so many you tubers were using intellectual property profusely and earning a living off such content, I’m sorry but my sympathy is skin deep for most of them.

I don’t think you tube is guilty of censorship as such, most videos removed you will find used material against the terms and conditions.  But simply if you post a video that you don’t want removed because it is important etc, don’t effin monetise it.