Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Real-life warp drive concept gaining traction

Recommended Posts

 
Piney

There are still many issues with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

.I

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
37 minutes ago, Piney said:

There are still many issues with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

.I

One "minor" issue is that the required negative mass have never been shown to actually exist. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
16 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

One "minor" issue is that the required negative mass have never been shown to actually exist. 

Scientists have been able to make negative mass and negative energy for over 50 years.

All you quite literally need is two reflective surfaces and a vacuum in between them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
1 minute ago, RabidMongoose said:

Scientists have been able to make negative mass and negative energy for over 50 years.

All you quite literally need is two reflective surfaces and a vacuum in between them.

I should have been more precise. Negative mass that is usefull for an Alcubierre drive have never been shown to exist. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20130409135139/http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/technology/warp/ideachev_prt.htm

Don't get me wrong I hope it can work, but as for now there is no feasible way to do it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
4 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I should have been more precise. Negative mass that is usefull for an Alcubierre drive have never been shown to exist. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20130409135139/http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/technology/warp/ideachev_prt.htm

Don't get me wrong I hope it can work, but as for now there is no feasible way to do it.

Lets suppose we take the Channel tunnel and travel down it at 30 m/s on a train.

To get there before we can travelling at 30 m/s, all we need to do is create a negative energy field along the duration of the tunnel. If the tunnel is a vacuum and the interior surface is reflective like a mirror then a negative energy field will naturally accumulate inside the tunnel.

Its not enough energy to make the journey that much quicker (although technically you would still be travelling at 30 m/s). We could have a wide laser beam shooting down the tunnel too which has the train travelling inside it. If done right we can create negative energy with the laser due to some aspects of their behaviour known to exist.

Its still not enough for meaningful warp drive. Currently it is thought we would need the energy output of the sun from a year to power a warp drive for a second.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stiff

giphy.gif

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
9 minutes ago, Stiff said:

giphy.gif

"But we have no dilithium crystals captain and we dont know how to make them." :rolleyes:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stiff
3 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

"But we have no dilithium crystals captain and we dont know how to make them." :rolleyes:

ZealousImperturbableDassierat-max-1mb.gi

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
White Crane Feather

HAhah well Let’s keep the gravitational field very tiny. If you accelerate even as fast as we fall, you will have to create an earth sized field that will throw off all the planetary bodies and potentially destroy life on earth. A microscopic field though may not cause harm but it might just take a month to accelerate. 

 

Lets ta not forget you better have a dam good forcefield. Running into a speck of dust at c x 10 will convert the dust and anything it hits into energy. Boooooooooommmmmmmmm!!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster

Captain Picard is back folks with Star Trek Picard in case you are interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jon the frog

Without it, space colonization mean to let everything behind if you go. We are locked on the need to come back home, without this problem, we could thing about building something huge with nuclear drive and systems to use rocks and ice on the way to replenish the ship and go very far. Hundred of year trip with genetically modified human that we can freeze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
jbondo

This theory has been around for many years. In fact, Bob Lazar spoke of it in his first interview. The best part is, since in essence you aren't moving, G-Force/gravity are not factors, nor are obstacles that might impact a traditional craft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
43 minutes ago, jbondo said:

This theory has been around for many years. In fact, Bob Lazar spoke of it in his first interview. The best part is, since in essence you aren't moving, G-Force/gravity are not factors, nor are obstacles that might impact a traditional craft.

Bob Lazar belongs in the fiction section, not the science and space section.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SpaceBumZaphod
On 3/2/2020 at 4:17 PM, RabidMongoose said:

Captain Picard is back folks with Star Trek Picard in case you are interested.

Very good series. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tmcom

I thought that you would use a nuclear generator and a series of capacitors, to create a million volt canopy around a metallic spacecraft, which distorts space/time so much it defys gravity, and creates a time bubble, then distort that field to create the warp affect, or go from here to Mars in a few minutes, give or take.

:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoofGardener
1 hour ago, tmcom said:

I thought that you would use a nuclear generator and a series of capacitors, to create a million volt canopy around a metallic spacecraft, which distorts space/time so much it defys gravity, and creates a time bubble, then distort that field to create the warp affect, or go from here to Mars in a few minutes, give or take.

:P

Or alternatively, you'd just create a huge spark, and a puddle of metal :P 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Or alternatively, you'd just create a huge spark, and a puddle of metal :P 

And you would electrocute the crew and fry the electronics. In addition there is reason to think that a million volt would do anything to gravity and time. Otherwise its a great idea @tmcom:whistle:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoofGardener
31 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

And you would electrocute the crew and fry the electronics. In addition there is reason to think that a million volt would do anything to gravity and time. Otherwise its a great idea @tmcom:whistle:

actually, if it WAS a spherical metal spaceship, then the Faraday effect would have protected the crew and the electronics. :) 

Well, from electrocution, anyway. Not from being reduced to a puddle of metal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tmcom
1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

actually, if it WAS a spherical metal spaceship, then the Faraday effect would have protected the crew and the electronics. :) 

Well, from electrocution, anyway. Not from being reduced to a puddle of metal. 

If l remember correctly the electrical field would produce several nasty forms of radiation, so the crew cabin would need to be heavily shielded, and propulsion would be as easy as changing the field strength from one edge to another, creating a warp pattern.

Two 100 million volt lazers directed at each other could tear space time and create a window to higher dimensions, (this is something physicists want to try out) so this isn't out of our reach.

:o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoofGardener
3 hours ago, tmcom said:

If l remember correctly the electrical field would produce several nasty forms of radiation, so the crew cabin would need to be heavily shielded, and propulsion would be as easy as changing the field strength from one edge to another, creating a warp pattern.

Two 100 million volt lazers directed at each other could tear space time and create a window to higher dimensions, (this is something physicists want to try out) so this isn't out of our reach.

:o

How do you know it would lead to a HIGHER dimension ? It could lead down to the basement ? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
toast
On 3/3/2020 at 5:55 PM, jbondo said:

This theory has been around for many years. In fact, Bob Lazar spoke of it in his first interview. The best part is, since in essence you aren't moving, G-Force/gravity are not factors, nor are obstacles that might impact a traditional craft.

What?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
2 hours ago, toast said:

What?

All you need is a good supply of element 115, a bit of woo, a total disregard of science and off you go. :whistle:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tmcom

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/01/physicists-are-planning-build-lasers-so-powerful-they-could-rip-apart-empty-space

https://science.slashdot.org/story/11/11/03/239204/eu-scientists-working-on-laser-to-rip-a-hole-in-spacetime

I like the first one, create a pulse more powerful than all power plants worldwide combined, but the sapphire is a bargain 100 million.

Get it cheaper at Walmart!

:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.