Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Will John Lennon's killer ever be released?

Eldorado

"Two summers ago, in August, Mark David Chapman took off his prison uniform, put on his smartest clothes and – under the watchful eyes of the Wende Correctional Facility guards – made his way to the New York Parole Board building complex.

"This was the 10th time Prisoner 81A2860 had made such a journey, all of which had taken place within the past 20 years, having made his first appeal two decades after his initial conviction for the murder of John Lennon.

"Ten journeys there. Ten journeys back. And 10 rejections, despite this time Chapman seeming more contrite than he’d ever been in his many appearances in the now familiar setting.

"“Thirty years ago, I couldn’t say I felt shame and I know what shame is now,” he told the parole board. “It’s where you cover your face, you don’t want to, you know, ask for anything...”."

Full article at the UK Independent: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/john-lennon-shooting-murder-anniversary-death-mark-david-chapman-jail-yoko-ono-a9330231.html

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

He wouldn't survive three days outside prison. For his own safety he should stay there.

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

Let him rot in Prison

• Like 7

Just now, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

Let him rot in Prison

I don't typically wish for that to be that case for people. But thinking of all of the wonderful music he deprived the world of just makes me sick to my stomach. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Robotic Jew said:

I don't typically wish for that to be that case for people. But thinking of all of the wonderful music he deprived the world of just makes me sick to my stomach. 

While that's true, I tend to believe that ANYONE who takes a life in such a brutal, senseless way, should be held accountable whether their victim was talented or not.  Lennon died a brutal death.  I didn't particularly like the guy's politics but I felt really bad for the way he was gunned down like that.  Pointless and a waste.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Robotic Jew said:

I hope not. Only a matter of time before the little people in his walls start talking again. 

They probably never stopped.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"Two summers ago, in August, Mark David Chapman took off his prison uniform, put on his smartest clothes and – under the watchful eyes of the Wende Correctional Facility guards – made his way to the New York Parole Board building complex.

"This was the 10th time Prisoner 81A2860 had made such a journey, all of which had taken place within the past 20 years, having made his first appeal two decades after his initial conviction for the murder of John Lennon.

"Ten journeys there. Ten journeys back. And 10 rejections, despite this time Chapman seeming more contrite than he’d ever been in his many appearances in the now familiar setting.

"“Thirty years ago, I couldn’t say I felt shame and I know what shame is now,” he told the parole board. “It’s where you cover your face, you don’t want to, you know, ask for anything...”."

Full article at the UK Independent: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/john-lennon-shooting-murder-anniversary-death-mark-david-chapman-jail-yoko-ono-a9330231.html

The kind of mental problems that result in someone gunning another person down arent fixable. You dont learn shame or guilt or remorse, you either have them or they are missing. There is not cure for psychopathy and the only thing psychologists can do is teach them how to manage their condition. Whether they then do or not upon realise is another matter.

For such a violent crime I dont think society should take the risk of giving them a 2nd chance. If society wants to give them more of a life than a small cell then it would make more sense to put them on a remote island somewhere far away from the normal public where they can be monitored. A restricted penal colony.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Robotic Jew said:
Spoiler

1 hour ago, Piney said:

They probably never stopped.....

And they never will

Edited by 'Walt' E. Kurtz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Let us hope not. Given there are many Beatles fans I doubt they be happy. 

• 1 month later...

I am utterly shocked with those expressing the opinion that John Lennon’s murderer should remain in prison. ‘Justice’, should ALWAYS be impartial to victims and perpetrators of crime. However in the example of the murderer of John Lennon, the American Justice System hasn’t been impartial thus has let him down. Would he still be in prison if he had instead murdered a lavatory cleaner?; I doubt it. Thus proving that the justice system is FLAWED. He has served his time (39 years), thus should be released from prison. 

• 3 weeks later...

If he did hear voices (I couldn't find that in the article) then it's not psychopathy, it's schizophrenia, which can usually be controlled with drugs.

If Chapman hadn't shot a global superstar, he would have been paroled by now, so I think he should be released.  He won't last long, though.

On 3/2/2020 at 9:36 AM, sci-nerd said:

He wouldn't survive three days outside prison. For his own safety he should stay there.

Yep he would be killed by a bunch of blood thirsty hippies, imagine the hunger if they are vegetarian hippies ! It would be mess !

AN AMERICAN HIPPIE IN ISRAEL - Grindhouse Releasing

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Latest: John Lennon killer Mark David Chapman denied parole for 11th time

Mark David Chapman, who murdered John Lennon outside his New York apartment in 1980, has been denied parole for the 11th time. A parole board at Wende correctional facility near Buffalo, New York, denied Chapman’s release, though detailed reasons have not been given. He will have to wait two years before applying for parole again.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/aug/27/mark-chapman-john-lennon-killer-parole-denied-yoko-ono

• Thanks 2

They should have sent this piece of trash to the chair the day it happened. Not waste money on keeping him alive for a single day. This is what’s wrong with this country. The man killed someone in cold blood and they are letting him continue to live. Anyone that just walks up and kills someone like this should be put down! He wasn’t even worth the effort I just took to write that.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Latest: John Lennon killer Mark David Chapman denied parole for 11th time

I'm happy with that.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 5:29 PM, acute said:

If he did hear voices (I couldn't find that in the article) then it's not psychopathy, it's schizophrenia, which can usually be controlled with drugs.

If Chapman hadn't shot a global superstar, he would have been paroled by now, so I think he should be released.  He won't last long, though.

His interview 3 years ago. It is apparent he was schizophrenia and psychopathic. From his interview despite how he portrays himself I would say that he is still psychopathic. You`ll notice there is no emotion at any point during the interview. Not just emotions relating to the crime, but he isn`t even anxious about being on television. There is also narcissism in there and he is telling people what they think they want to hear. He is manipulating throughout the interview.

His eyes are also dilated when talking about shooting Lennon. He enjoys the memory of killing him, and enjoys the public attention for killing him.

Edited by Cookie Monster

On 5/3/2020 at 7:56 AM, BEAR-CUB said:

I am utterly shocked with those expressing the opinion that John Lennon’s murderer should remain in prison. ‘Justice’, should ALWAYS be impartial to victims and perpetrators of crime. However in the example of the murderer of John Lennon, the American Justice System hasn’t been impartial thus has let him down. Would he still be in prison if he had instead murdered a lavatory cleaner?; I doubt it. Thus proving that the justice system is FLAWED. He has served his time (39 years), thus should be released from prison. 

The Lord says an eye for an eye, so then it should be a death for a death. It doesnt matter who he murdered, tell you what since you feel he being treated so unfairly if he does get out you should invite him to your home until he gets back on his feet. We can contact him in jail, give him the forum information and you two can get to know one another, what do you think?