Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

YouTube's war on conspiracy videos continues

UM-Bot

Good. :tu:

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I don't see how lowering how much they are recommended is a "war on conspiracy theories". It's just being sensationalized so the theorists can go "see! The powers that be are suppressing us so they must fear our information so we must be right! ".

personally I love the change, it used to be you watch a few archaeology videos and then 85% of the recommended videos turn to " suppressed ancient aliens information proven" types. I hated that so much.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Now if they can just get rid of the toxic comments and bigoted content...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

The video hosting giant has been drastically reducing the number of conspiracy video recommendations.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/335148/youtubes-war-on-conspiracy-videos-continues

Excellent!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, justin3651 said:

I don't see how lowering how much they are recommended is a "war on conspiracy theories". It's just being sensationalized so the theorists can go "see! The powers that be are suppressing us so they must fear our information so we must be right! ".

personally I love the change, it used to be you watch a few archaeology videos and then 85% of the recommended videos turn to " suppressed ancient aliens information proven" types. I hated that so much.

As of right now I still see that kind of thing though, over the last few months I've fallen asleep while youtube was playing. By the time I've woken up it's moved from "Here's a cheap chinese guitar part that you can't afford to be without"
To "Ancient secrets to world has been keeping from you". It's horrifying to be honest. I didn't ask to be added to "watchlist roulette" but here I am. Plz stop, I beg you. :unsure2:

• Like 3

Fantastic initiative! If we could save the coming generations from pointless paranoia, that would be worth a lot.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, eddword said:

The problem here here is. Now they are in charge of what you can view and what they consider as a conspiracy. It sounds great at first, But now you have someone telling you what you should and shouldn't be watching. I prefer to choose for myself! That is why they have a comments section.I don't need Screw tube to make decisions for me.Censorship is censorship!

No one is preventing you from watching what you like, you just have to search a little for it yourself. No need to make it into something it isn't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

But who will we laugh at now?

We have quite a few visitors here that will do nicely.

• Haha 3

Sometimes it IS a conspiracy and I think this is one of them.

at first they remove reference, then they remove videos, then they brand you a heretic, close your account, ,... etc it has happened many times in human history, as decades or ages went by we see that those who suppress knowledge, and brand people are the ones who are wrong. and malicious. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There is only ONE ‘conspiracy’ — Goes way back and affects us all. 

• Thanks 1

so tell us, what is it?  religion, banking system, or concept of conspiracy itself as we know it?

Edited by aztek

6 minutes ago, aztek said:

so tell us, what is it?  religion, or banking system?

According to Judeo-Christian scripture they are two peas in a pod.

Deuteronomy 15

Edited by Festina

6 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

No one is preventing you from watching what you like, you just have to search a little for it yourself. No need to make it into something it isn't.

I think there's a pretty good case to be made that this is a form of censorship. And that isnt good for the internet. From what I read, they are basically reducing the recommendations of conspiracy videos offered to viewers. So they are - albeit indirectly - censoring conspiracy content.

Edited by On3Truly
  • Like 3

Youtube have been censoring the 'recommendation' video's for some time. 

I tend to watch Tucker Carlson video's quite regularly (2-3 per week). But I have almost NEVER had a recommendation for any of HIS video's... just for video's criticising him. 

Youtube is political, and seems to me to be very left-wing and anti-conservative. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Twin said:

Sometimes it IS a conspiracy and I think this is one of them.

Maybe you should leave the thinking to others? Conspiracies are, per definition, hidden, not announced publicly.

11 hours ago, On3Truly said:

I think there's a pretty good case to be made that this is a form of censorship. And that isnt good for the internet. From what I read, they are basically reducing the recommendations of conspiracy videos offered to viewers. So they are - albeit indirectly - censoring conspiracy content.

If it's censorship to shut up the fearmongering liars, who profit from the gullible, so be it. We are better off.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sci-nerd said:

If it's censorship to shut up the fearmongering liars, who profit from the gullible, so be it. We are better off.

The thing is if we start censoring conspiracy content we could also extend it to a lot of other subjects. Health & fitness, religion, history ect.  Youtube's content moderation shouldn't be about deciding what is true or not, or what viewers should watch or not. 

Edited by On3Truly
  • Like 4

You tube is a business, it makes its money from advertising.  Does anyone think that conspiracy videos are prime revenue earners for you tube?  I’ll help you out there the answer is they are not.

So do we think YouTube is changing its recommendations because it feels people need less conspiracy theories?  Or do we think YouTube believes, probably correctly it can earn more money through advertising from You Tubers that don’t have fringe content?

That there is your threshold for censorship.

Personally if I owned YouTube I wouldn’t want my platform being used as a mouthpiece for stupidity.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Grey Area said:

Personally if I owned YouTube I wouldn’t want my platform being used as a mouthpiece for stupidity.

But why stop at conspiracy content? There is a lot of stupidity on Youtube. Just look at the health & fitness category, for instance. 

• Like 1