Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

19 States sue the Trump Administration

Eldorado

"The lawsuit says diverting billions from defense programs in the states, including from National Guard accounts, "will cause damage to their economies, harming their proprietary interests." The states also argue that the diversion of money already allocated by lawmakers toward a border wall violates Congress' appropriation powers.

"The states involved in the lawsuit are: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia and Wisconsin."

Ful report at Politico: https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/city-hall/story/2020/03/03/19-states-sue-the-trump-administration-over-border-wall-money-shift-1265003

And at The Hill: https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/485768-19-states-sue-trump-administration-over-reallocated-funding-for

And Fox News: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/19-states-sue-administration-over-military-funding-diversion-border-wall

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Wait, we can sue every time a government body does something that will harm our local economy? 

I live in NY. I’ll be a millionaire before the year is through. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

Wait, we can sue every time a government body does something that will harm our local economy? 

Hah, no.   You would be broke, your lawyer would be a millionaire, but you might get something you didn't like stopped.  Think of it as a "cease and desist" instead of a the silly lawsuits where people are trying to get money.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Hah, no.   You would be broke, your lawyer would be a millionaire, but you might get something you didn't like stopped.  Think of it as a "cease and desist" instead of a the silly lawsuits where people are trying to get money.

ahh forget it then, B)

good luck to them, no one does more harm to ny than ny governor office and local govts.  and now they will spend millions on lawyers and still lose,

also if you notice most if not all of those are sanctuary states, that will lose funds, due to their illegal policies,  it has 0 to do with border wall funds,

Edited by aztek
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

No, the state can sue the feds when the president takes money out of previously allocated funds for his pet project.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2020 at 3:18 AM, Eldorado said:

"The lawsuit says diverting billions from defense programs in the states, including from National Guard accounts, "will cause damage to their economies, harming their proprietary interests." The states also argue that the diversion of money already allocated by lawmakers toward a border wall violates Congress' appropriation powers.

"The states involved in the lawsuit are: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia and Wisconsin."

Ful report at Politico: https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/city-hall/story/2020/03/03/19-states-sue-the-trump-administration-over-border-wall-money-shift-1265003

And at The Hill: https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/485768-19-states-sue-trump-administration-over-reallocated-funding-for

And Fox News: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/19-states-sue-administration-over-military-funding-diversion-border-wall

When did defense spending have anything to do with their state's economy? Seriously? They are funds for defense, defending your state, making sure you national guard is properly equipped. Now they are just pulling **** out of their ass in attempt to stop the president.

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Uncle Sam said:

When did defense spending have anything to do with economy? Seriously? Now they are just pulling **** out of their ass in attempt to stop the president.

Heh, A single Tomahawk missile costs $1.8 million in tax payer dollars.  Who do you think builds them?  The $934 billion dollars we spend on the military just doesn't disappear into thin air, it goes into the local economies of the forts, bases and manufacturers.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Below is the full list of military initiatives that will be affected in the U.S. and its territories:

Ads by scrollerads.com

United States:
Grand cost: $1,075,961,000

Alabama:

Anniston Army Depot, Weapon Maintenance Shop, $5,200,000

Alaska:

Eielson AFB: Repair Central Heat/Power Plant Boiler, $41,000,000; Repair Central Heat & Power Plant Boiler Ph3 $34,400,000; Eielson AFB Improved CATM Range, $19,000,000

Fort Greely: Missile Field #1 Expansion, $8,000,000

Arizona:

Fort Huachuca: Ground Transport Equipment Building, $30,000,000

California:

Channel Islands: ANGS July 2020 Construct C-130J Flight Simulator Facility, $8,000,000

Colorado:

Peterson AFB: Space Control Facility, $8,000,000

Florida:

Tyndall AFB: Fire/Crash Rescue Station, $17,000,000

Hawaii:

Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam: Consolidated Training Facility, $5,500,000

Kaneohe Bay: Security Improvements Mokapu Gate, $26,492,000

Indiana:
Crane Army Ammunition Plant: Railcar Holding Area, $16,000,000
Hulman Regional Airport: Construct Small Arms Range, $8,000,000

Kentucky:
Fort Campbell, Kentucky: Ft Campbell Middle School, $62,634,000

Louisiana:
Joint Reserve Base New Orleans: NORTHCOM - Construct Alert Apron, $15,000,000, NORTHCOM - Construct Alert Facilities $24,000,000

Maryland:
Fort Meade: Cantonment Area Roads, $16,500,000
Joint Base Andrews: PAR Relocate Haz Cargo Pad and EOD Range, $37,000,000; Child Development Center, $13,000,000

Mississippi:

Jackson IAP: Construct Small Arms Range, $8,000,000

New Mexico:

Holloman AFB: MQ-9 FTU Ops Facility, $85,000,000
White Sands: Information Systems Facility, $40,000,000

New York:

U.S. Military Academy: Engineering Center, $95,000,000; Parking Structure $65,000,000

North Carolina:

Camp Lejeune, North Carolina: 2nd Radio BN Complex, Phase 2, $25,650,000; Ambulatory Care Center Addition/Alteration, $15,300,000

Fort Bragg: Butner Elementary School Replacement, $32,944,000 (previously canceled)

Seymour Johnson AFB: KC-46A ADAL for Alt Mission Storage, $6,400,000

Oklahoma:
Tulsa Iap: Construct Small Arms Range, $8,000,000

Oregon:
Klamath Falls IAP: Construct Indoor Range, $8,000; Replace Fuel Facilities, $2,500,000

South Carolina:

Beaufort: Laurel Bay Fire Station Replacement, $10,750,000

Texas:

Fort Bliss: Defense Access Roads, $20,000,000
Joint Base San Antonio: Camp Bullis Dining Facility, $18,500,000

Utah:

Hill AFB: Composite Aircraft Antenna Calibration, $26,000,000; UTTR Consolidated Mission Control Center, $28,000,000

Virginia:

Joint Base Langley-Eustis: Construct Cyber Ops Facility, $10,000,000
Norfolk: Replace Hazardous Materials Warehouse, $18,500,000
Pentagon: Pentagon Metro Entrance Facility, $12,111,000 (Previously cancelled)
Portsmouth: Replace Hazardous Materials Warehouse, $22,500,000; Ships Maintenance Facility, $26,120,000

Washington:
Bangor: Pier and Maintenance Facility, $88,960,000

Wisconsin:

Truax Field: Construct Small Arms Range, $8,000,000

U.S. Territories
Grand total: $687,284,000

Guam:

Joint Region Marianas:Earth Covered Magazines, $52,270,000; PRTC Roads, $2,500,000; Water Well Field, $56,088,000; Navy-Commercial Tie-In Hardening, $37,180,000; Machine Gun Range, $50,000,000; APR - Munitions Storage Igloos, Phase 2, $35,300,000; Hayman Munitions Storage Igloos MSA 2, $9,800,000; APR - SATCOM C4I Facility, $14,200,000

Puerto Rico:

Arroyo: Readiness Center, $30,000,000
Camp Santiago: Company Headquarters Bldg -Transient Training, $47,000,000, Dining Facility, Transient Training, $13,000,000; Engineering/Housing Maintenance Shops (DPW), $11,000,000; Maneuver Area Training Equipment Site, $80,000,000; National Guard Readiness Center, $50,000,000; Power Substation/Switching Station Building, $18,500,000

Gurabo: Vehicle Maintenance Shop, $28,000,000
Punta Borinquen: Ramey Unit School Replacement, $61,071,000
San Juan: Aircraft Maintenance Hangar (AASF), $64,000,000

Virgin Islands:

St. Croix: Vehicle Maintenance Shop, $20,000,000; Power Substation/Switching Station Building, $3,500,000

St. Thomas: National Guard Vehicle Maintenance Shop Add/A, $3,875,000

Worldwide:

A wide range of military construction projects around the world have also been pushed back, with initiatives across Germany, the United Kingdom and Japan affected.

The full list of affected initiatives can be seen here. The Statista graph below also shows where money has been taken from.

Trump DoD Construction Budget STATISTA

• Thanks 4

That's peanuts. Americans spend 32 billion annually on pet food and the Government over 700 billion annually on defense.

https://www.statista.com/topics/1369/pet-food/

Just putting things in perspective.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

LOL.. this is silly. The states are just doing this to get a few headlines. 

I mean, on what legal basis would these lawsuits be brought ? 

You seem to get a LOT of this in the USA. Some lawyer calls a press conference to announce some stupid, vapid "lawsuite" that has no chance of going anywhere, just to get some headlines for some cause or another. 

There ought to be a law against it :P 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

You seem to get a LOT of this in the USA. Some lawyer calls a press conference to announce some stupid, vapid "lawsuite" that has no chance of going anywhere, just to get some headlines for some cause or another. 

The basis is mis appropriation of funds by an elected official.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

The border wall is part of defense.  Not too many things have higher priority.

True.  Yet it would be better to spend the money for what it was  appropriated for.and more than 1.6 billion dollars should have been earmarked for the wall.  President Trump can and did short circuit that to divert money to his wall.  The next Democratic president will surely do the same.  He may believe homeless shelters are the #1 Defense priority.

Speaking of Defense policy, the Russians have parted ways with OPEC and cut the price of crude.  You may have noticed that effect on the stock market while it is still staggering with coronavirus. Are they trying to regain their top petroleum producer position? Are they trying to drive US fracking industry into the wings?  Will the administration decide that propping up the oil industry is a grave matter of national defense?  Where will the money come form for that?

9 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

True.  Yet it would be better to spend the money for what it was  appropriated for.

That goes without saying.  However, reality is what one must deal with.  There’s a reason why the President has broad powers.

and more than 1.6 billion dollars should have been earmarked for the wall. 

It could have if Congress had done their job.  If Congress doesn't want to help with the President's agenda, he has the legitimate power to get it done.

President Trump can and did short circuit that to divert money to his wall. 

He did no such thing.  There was no short circuit.  It was well within his power to shift funds.

The next Democratic president will surely do the same. 

Absolutely!  But they had already been doing it, especially Obama.  Trump is not the first to press his will.

He may believe homeless shelters are the #1 Defense priority.

I think he’d have to spin a pretty good story to make that connection.  But if he can do that, it’s his prerogative.

Speaking of Defense policy, the Russians have parted ways with OPEC and cut the price of crude.  You may have noticed that effect on the stock market while it is still staggering with coronavirus. Are they trying to regain their top petroleum producer position? Are they trying to drive US fracking industry into the wings? 

Saudi Arabia was doing the same.  I have not heard if they were doing this in cahoots or not?  But it is going to backfire on them, as coronavirus is going to backfire on the Chinese, and as the Left trying to exploit all of this to bring Trump and this nation down will backfire.  Trump will bring this nation out of this smelling like a rose.

Will the administration decide that propping up the oil industry is a grave matter of national defense?  Where will the money come form for that?

Trump may have to make that decision.  People need to gear up for a war-footing mindset.  We are at war right now.  And it won’t be fought with Divisions and Carrier Strike Groups.  The implements will be the nation’s wealth and the will of the people.  We’ll see what we are really made of.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RavenHawk said:

It could have if Congress had done their job.  If Congress doesn't want to help with the President's agenda, he has the legitimate power to get it done.

Well as many are fond of saying, elections have consequences. I may not agree with the Democrats on all of this , but they seem to think it was the mandate that helped them carry the House.

He did no such thing.  There was no short circuit.  It was well within his power to shift funds.

Bad choice of words.  I did not say he did anything illegal, just that he did not follow the usual request for funds, then Congress passes funding  traditionalcycle.

Absolutely!  But they had already been doing it, especially Obama.  Trump is not the first to press his will.

Also very true.  I would like to see us move back toward cooperation and precedent in the future although you are right we deal with reality which is divisiveness, distrust, and scorn on both sides for each other

Saudi Arabia was doing the same.  I have not heard if they were doing this in cahoots or not?  But it is going to backfire on them, as coronavirus is going to backfire on the Chinese, and as the Left trying to exploit all of this to bring Trump and this nation down will backfire.  Trump will bring this nation out of this smelling like a rose.

Saudi Arabia and Russia fell out.  Russia did not want to follow OPEC guidelines.  Russia cut prices Now Saudi Arabia is  striking back and trying to maintain market share by cutting their own prices.

This is bigger than Trump and Democrats.  This is our nation at stake. Consider our oil industry which was flourishing.. Fracking cannot compete with Saudi $6 or $8 dollar a barrel oil.  They will go broke.  Will we decide it is in national security interests to subsidize them as we had to do for the farmers?

Trump may have to make that decision.  People need to gear up for a war-footing mindset.  We are at war right now.  And it won’t be fought with Divisions and Carrier Strike Groups.  The implements will be the nation’s wealth and the will of the people.  We’ll see what we are really made of.

Bingo.  The nation's wealth and will of the people.  War footing?  The Republican Senate just threw up the first roadblock in Trumps bid for payroll tax relief and sick pay. "Where will the money come from?"  IS that the first question to ask when on a war footing?

If oil companies and the travel industry get federal help and small businesses get a tax break  while the middle class may not get sick leave and Azar said the coronavirus testing may not be affordable to everyone how do you think that affects morale?

A payroll tax cut only helps short term if people are working.  It is not a tax cut.  If I get $50 dollars a week less withholding for the next 4 weeks then I will own $200 dollars more at tax time.  Bitter medicine.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 6:36 AM, RoofGardener said:

Hope you're including *Trump in your post. He is the king of frivolous law suits. Funny how you forget that.

44 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

He is the king of frivolous law suits. Funny how you forget that.

I thought he was the self-proclaimed "King of Debt"

He has worked wonders for ours.  Probably marshaling borrowed capital to buy another country.    Too bad the Greenland deal fell through.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Hope you're including *Trump in your post. He is the king of frivolous law suits. Funny how you forget that.

Nice deflection :P 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Nice deflection :P 

Obviously you have no idea what deflecting means. By the way, did you watch how he lied his way through his last press conference? Now that was deflecting. :P

Edited by Hankenhunter

7 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Obviously you have no idea what deflecting means. By the way, did you watch how he lied his way through his last press conference? Now that was deflecting. :P

We where talking about states suing Trump, and I suggested that these where frivolous lawsuits with no actual basis of law behind them, and where launched purely for the sake of the press conferences. You countered by saying that Trump issued a lot of law suites himself. This is pure "whataboutism", and was a deflection from the point. 

Actually, I didn't see his latest press conference. What date was it on, and I will attempt to google it ? 

• Like 2

On 3/15/2020 at 12:44 AM, RoofGardener said:

We where talking about states suing Trump, and I suggested that these where frivolous lawsuits with no actual basis of law behind them, and where launched purely for the sake of the press conferences. You countered by saying that Trump issued a lot of law suites himself. This is pure "whataboutism", and was a deflection from the point. 

Actually, I didn't see his latest press conference. What date was it on, and I will attempt to google it ? 

Don't bother. Your computer seems to only work with Fox news or Q-anon. Something, something spam, right? 

8 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Don't bother. Your computer seems to only work with Fox news or Q-anon. Something, something spam, right? 

I see. So.. you've moved on from deflection to outright insults ? And you haven't responded to my original point. Duly noted :P 

If THIS was the press conference you alluded to ... 

If so, where are the "lies" that you referred to ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/5/2020 at 9:39 PM, Uncle Sam said:

When did defense spending have anything to do with their state's economy? Seriously? They are funds for defense, defending your state, making sure you national guard is properly equipped. Now they are just pulling **** out of their ass in attempt to stop the president.

FDR was the one who really started to get states to rely on federal money under the "New Deal". Imo, it was more about buying votes than helping people and did little if anything to relieve the Great Depression.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gummug said:

FDR was the one who really started to get states to rely on federal money under the "New Deal". Imo, it was more about buying votes than helping people and did little if anything to relieve the Great Depression.

Those 19 states are dependent on defense spending because of air force and army bases that would not get their funding if this plan to take their money and put it  into "the wall".  There are rules about the budget and if a budget is set, it is not allowed to be changed until the next year in a new budget.  That money was already allocated.