Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
UM-Bot

New clue found in the hunt for dark matter

sci-nerd

It's more a new suggestion than a clue or a determination. They're still clueless and undetermined.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

WanderingFool0
Posted (edited)

Hard to pin down that mysterious dark matter that probably is all around as the invisible fabric, field or membrane of what we call space time.

Edited by WanderingFool0
correction

sci-nerd
3 minutes ago, WanderingFool0 said:

Hard to pin down that mysterious dark matter that probably is all around as the invisible fabric, field or membrane of what we call space time.

Yeah, or we need to re-think gravity.

• Like 2

SpaceBumZaphod

You can find concentrated dark matter in Nibbler's litter box. Anyways, cool theory. Now, if they can prove it.

• Like 2

quiXilver
7 minutes ago, SpaceBumZaphod said:

You can find concentrated dark matter in Nibbler's litter box. Anyways, cool theory. Now, if they can prove it.

wait... i thought that...

but then, those aren't  tootsie rolls?!?! 

• Haha 1

Seti42
Posted (edited)

I still think 'dark matter' and 'dark energy' are essentially placeholders for stuff we just don't understand and cannot detect, but (according to our math) should exist.

Our math could be wrong, and/or our fundamental grasp of the universe could be wrong too. The further we try to explore and explain things outside our scale, the more F-ed up it always seems to get. Going down past the sub-atomic scale or going up into the scale of astrophysics just seems to create more questions and problems (and guesses) than answers.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19_Kilo

I like this new hypothesis. Even though it now appears my old favorite one for the explanation of Dark Matter--residue from Black Hole implosions--has been pretty much refuted. The "condensate from Big Bang heat, composed of hexaquarks, makes sense. When we think about regular condensation of gases after they cool, we can imagine how the molecular  contraction taking place could serve as a "pulling gravitational force"--which is basically what DM seems to be.

Either that or these physicists and cosmologists are just making stuff up as they go along in order to justify grant monies. LOL 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19_Kilo
38 minutes ago, Seti42 said:

I still think 'dark matter' and 'dark energy' are essentially placeholders for stuff we just don't understand and cannot detect, but (according to our math) should exist.

Our math could be wrong, and/or our fundamental grasp of the universe could be wrong too. The further we try to explore and explain things outside our scale, the more F-ed up it always seems to get. Going down past the sub-atomic scale or going up into the scale of astrophysics just seems to create more questions and problems (and guesses) than answers.

You're 100% correct about the terms being mere placeholders. And astrophysicists have admitted as much. Hence their ongoing search for what the stuffs are really comprised of. I believe even the term "gravitron" as the medium for gravitational forces is an admitted placeholder or throwaway word too. The much anticipated but as yet still undiscovered GUT or TOE is supposed to be the one to explain the technical component forces of gravity, and reconcile it with QM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WanderingFool0
8 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

I like this new hypothesis. Even though it now appears my old favorite one for the explanation of Dark Matter--residue from Black Hole implosions--has been pretty much refuted. The "condensate from Big Bang heat, composed of hexaquarks, makes sense. When we think about regular condensation of gases after they cool, we can imagine how the molecular  contraction taking place could serve as a "pulling gravitational force"--which is basically what DM seems to be.

Either that or these physicists and cosmologists are just making stuff up as they go along in order to justify grant monies. LOL 

A lot of time to me the advanced theoretical physicists seem like they are just playing the old philosophers game thinking up explanations. Some of the various theories I have read even remind me of ideas I have read from older philosophers just with new names and new vocabulary. At least in a lot of the still unproven theoretical stuff.

• Like 2

sci-nerd

I never liked the concept of dark matter. "Theories don't work, so we add an ingredient to make it work."
I'm more into slightly changing, what we know is there, to make it work.

So we know that two black holes can make a wormhole. But what if less can do it also? What if common stars can make them too?
If so, then a galaxy could be a network of wormholes, making dark matter obsolete.

• Like 1

joc
3 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

I never liked the concept of dark matter. "Theories don't work, so we add an ingredient to make it work."
I'm more into slightly changing, what we know is there, to make it work.

So we know that two black holes can make a wormhole. But what if less can do it also? What if common stars can make them too?
If so, then a galaxy could be a network of wormholes, making dark matter obsolete.

Well, you just lost me! lol

Waspie_Dwarf
5 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

No we don't know that, it's just as hypothetical as a dark matter, more so in fact. The presence of dark matter can, and has been, measured. No worm hole between two black holes has ever been detected. 

You have spent this thread accusing scientists of the following:

5 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

"Theories don't work, so we add an ingredient to make it work."

But apparently it's okay for you to do it.

• Like 2

Piney
10 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

I just consider "black holes" to be super dense objects that gathers everything around it and either grows, or if it takes in too much mass too quickly, tosses it out.

The whole "wormhole" concept doesn't work for me. 

.....Although now I think about it....Some sort of portal might exist between Earth and the Volgosphere, where Harte gets his poetry. :unsure2:

sci-nerd
7 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

No we don't know that, it's just as hypothetical as a dark matter, more so in fact. The presence of dark matter can, and has been, measured. No worm hole between two black holes has ever been detected. 

You have spent this thread accusing scientists of the following:

But apparently it's okay for you to do it.

I'm just trying to simplify nature, Occam's razor style.
Instead of multiplying the amount of matter by 20 (which is a bit radical), I increase the potential of gravity slightly.
Wormholes are predicted by general relativity. Dark matter is not. So I have a very successful theory on my side in this :)

• Like 1