Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Schumer threatens Supreme Court Justices

and-then

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/chief-justice-roberts-rare-rebuke-schumer-calling-comments-kavanaugh-gorsuch-dangerous

Okay... this kind of nonsense is getting out of control and I hope the Judiciary takes steps to hold ANYONE who makes threats against court officials, culpable for any act against them.

This idiot already vaguely threatened president Trump, telling him "the intelligence services can get you 20 ways from Sunday".  I think the level of rhetoric is over the top and becoming dangerous.  The Federal Marshal service or the Secret Service need to pay this idiot a visit.

I mean, what's next?  We've already had a Sanders campaign staffer threaten to burn Milwaukee if Sanders doesn't get the nod and he also said if Sanders wins, Trump supporters will be forced into "reeducation" camps.  Where does it end?  At what point do the media begin to reject such calls that could lead to violence?

BTW... I am not interested in making this thread about abortion.  That's a losing proposition.  I'm talking about the fiery rhetoric from our freakin' legislators.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

You do not in any way threaten Supreme Court Justices regardless of your personal feelings about their politics and especially if you are a high ranking senator.  This guy has officially lost it.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

since trump is a traitor and Russian spy he should not be appointing our judges. So hopefully we will get a real president again, and the senate will be in the hands of the democrats and if it is in sufficient number we can impeach every single Trumpanov appointee and flush the trump toilet.  Russian spies should not be US presidents. Get em Schumer, Get em, ANd shut down Fox news the Russian intel fake news channel.

Edited by micahc
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, aztek said:

people, watch your kids so they do not  eat glue, or they grow up and become this^^^^

It was due too a kool aid overdose...

Should recover in 4 1/2 years ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We may be hearing they're picking him up sometime soon. Sounds like Schumer has already been told about what he did.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/rare-rebuke-chief-justice-roberts-slams-schumer-threatening-comments-n1150036

Schumer responded by accusing Chief Justice Roberts of a deliberate misinterpretation of his remarks. This guy is really pushing it.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/486029-schumers-office-says-he-was-referencing-justices-paying-political-price

Edited by susieice
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, micahc said:

since trump is a traitor and Russian spy he should not be appointing our judges. So hopefully we will get a real president again, and the senate will be in the hands of the democrats and if it is in sufficient number we can impeach every single Trumpanov appointee and flush the trump toilet.  Russian spies should not be US presidents. Get em Schumer, Get em, ANd shut down Fox news the Russian intel fake news channel.

So basically “**** democracy because I don’t like the guy elected”. 
Please do tell mummy and daddy the other adults think you need a time out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, susieice said:

We may be hearing they're picking him up sometime soon. Sounds like Schumer has already been told about what he did.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/rare-rebuke-chief-justice-roberts-slams-schumer-threatening-comments-n1150036

Schumer responded by accusing Chief Justice Roberts of a deliberate misinterpretation of his remarks. This guy is really pushing it.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/486029-schumers-office-says-he-was-referencing-justices-paying-political-price

He's the one out front THIS time but he isn't the only one who's pushing the boundaries.  Pelosi and Schiff, especially, have been ratcheting the rhetoric up for a few months.  Trump has a mouth on him as well and he needs to draw back and be a little more circumspect.  His rhetoric is nasty by way of personal attacks but he doesn't threaten people, that I'm aware of.  If he HAS then he needs to be called out by Republicans.  

Steve Scalise was nearly killed after being shot at a softball practice in DC.  That was a Sanders supporter as well.  People have a right to freedom of speech but volatile rhetoric during the campaign, especially as the race gets tighter and the summer gets here, has to be moderated.  I hope a Federal District Judge in the DC area makes it clear that the next time a politician of EITHER PARTY makes such comments, they'll be subpoenaed to appear and explain why they are playing so fast and loose.   Further, if some nutter, RIGHT OR LEFT, goes off and harms a Justice, a Court representative or a national Legislator, those who ramped up the temperature prior to that need to be held civilly AND criminally liable.  

I guess the days of civic responsibility were left in the debris of 2016.  Time to remind people that "yelling fire" is STILL illegal.

6 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

So basically “**** democracy because I don’t like the guy elected”. 
Please do tell mummy and daddy the other adults think you need a time out.

A couple of weeks ago I went off on another member and got a warning for it.  After some reflection, I realized I most likely deserved it.  I kind of felt like I was "baited" but, ultimately my rhetoric is MY responsibility.  This new member you are responding to here, was nice enough to go full NASTY PARTISAN in his first posts and I had a chance to just skip the holiday rush and put him on ignore before I did something I'd regret.  It's embarrassing to admit my lack of control sometimes but... there it is.  Some people push buttons even when they aren't trying.  I have enough trouble with THEM.  The open FLAMERS I just have to ignore ;) 

• Like 4

He called these two by NAME, and they are appointed for life. What "price" politically" could he be talking about?  (Now that he changed his context on what he meant) He says he meant "The Republican party, yet he called these two out of the entire court, by name. That could very well be perceived as a threat.

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, susieice said:

From the second link:

"Justices know that criticism comes with the territory, but threatening statements of this sort from the highest levels of government are not only inappropriate, they are dangerous," Roberts said in the statement. "All Members of the Court will continue to do their job, without fear or favor, from whatever quarter."

Schumer should just man-up, apologize for the rhetoric and explain that he could have phrased it more civilly.  That's all that's required.  It would end the issue instantly and take away any ability by his opponents on the Right have to hammer him.  I'll be amazed if he does it though.  The reason I believe this has become dangerous is that if this election goes bad for either side and the politicians are complaining prior to the votes that the thing is "rigged" or is being interfered with by Russia, China, Ukraine, whatever, people may well be so upset that violence is spawned and THAT is going to be extremely difficult to control once it begins. 

I hope both sides will get a grip and stop before it's too late to stop.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

That could very well be perceived as a threat in front of the court no less.

This is my main point.  He probably meant exactly what his spokesman says he meant.  He can hardly scream foul though, when he, Schiff, Pelosi, et.al. have been going further and further down the trail to overt nastiness, obvious slanders and outright lies for the last 3 years against this president.  

They can either pull back from the brink or keep pushing, but if they DO, the judiciary needs to hold them responsible for any violence against this president, any jurist or any legislator of all parties.  Freedom of speech does NOT mean freedom to use language that can clearly incite violence, then recharacterize their meaning in the aftermath.  Americans are as angry and disgusted as I've ever been aware of and it only seems to get worse from the Left.  They may well lose power for an extended period of time if it becomes obvious that such behavior leads to the bloodshed of innocents.  Nasty campaigns have been around forever but THIS is seriously new territory.  We really don't need to keep pushing further into it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, and then said:

From the second link:

"Justices know that criticism comes with the territory, but threatening statements of this sort from the highest levels of government are not only inappropriate, they are dangerous," Roberts said in the statement. "All Members of the Court will continue to do their job, without fear or favor, from whatever quarter."

Schumer should just man-up, apologize for the rhetoric and explain that he could have phrased it more civilly.  That's all that's required.  It would end the issue instantly and take away any ability by his opponents on the Right have to hammer him.  I'll be amazed if he does it though.  The reason I believe this has become dangerous is that if this election goes bad for either side and the politicians are complaining prior to the votes that the thing is "rigged" or is being interfered with by Russia, China, Ukraine, whatever, people may well be so upset that violence is spawned and THAT is going to be extremely difficult to control once it begins. 

I hope both sides will get a grip and stop before it's too late to stop.

Oh, It won't be long before the Anti-Trump crowd come in defending his actions as normal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

He named the two by NAME, and they are appointed for life. What "price" politically" as old Schumer said, (now that he is changing his context) could he be talking about? That could very well be perceived as a threat in front of the court no less.

Well since it is a pretty blatant political threat, I took it to mean that they would seek to impeach them if the backlash gave the Democrats a majority in Congress: https://www.fastcompany.com/90243523/can-a-supreme-court-justice-be-removed-yes-and-heres-how

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, and then said:

A couple of weeks ago I went off on another member and got a warning for it.  After some reflection, I realized I most likely deserved it.  I kind of felt like I was "baited" but, ultimately my rhetoric is MY responsibility.  This new member you are responding to here, was nice enough to go full NASTY PARTISAN in his first posts and I had a chance to just skip the holiday rush and put him on ignore before I did something I'd regret.  It's embarrassing to admit my lack of control sometimes but... there it is.  Some people push buttons even when they aren't trying.  I have enough trouble with THEM.  The open FLAMERS I just have to ignore ;) 

You’re a better man than I gungadin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gromdor said:

Well since it is a pretty blatant political threat, I took it to mean that they would seek to impeach them if the backlash gave the Democrats a majority in Congress: https://www.fastcompany.com/90243523/can-a-supreme-court-justice-be-removed-yes-and-heres-how

I'd hope we could all agree that the language was vague enough and threatening enough that Roberts was correct to make the statement.  When language BY EITHER SIDE is inflammatory then those using it have an obligation to be a bit more measured in how they phrase things.  In the heat of the moment, anyone in that setting can misspeak but it's incumbent on a professional at that level to moderate and even apologize once they hear how what they said was taken by others.  

3 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

You’re a better man than I gungadin.

Oh... I didn't change my opinion of the other guy.  I just decided to take away the temptation since he isn't bothered by it at all.

2 minutes ago, and then said:

I'd hope we could all agree that the language was vague enough and threatening enough that Roberts was correct to make the statement.  When language BY EITHER SIDE is inflammatory then those using it have an obligation to be a bit more measured in how they phrase things.  In the heat of the moment, anyone in that setting can misspeak but it's incumbent on a professional at that level to moderate and even apologize once they hear how what they said was taken by others.  

Um, not in this day and age.  Trump would have to apologize left and right if that was the case.  No, you get more electable the more you threaten and insult.  The age of snowflakes is over.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

"I want to tell you, Gorsuch. I want to tell you, Kavanaugh. You have released the whirlwind and you will pay the price!" Schumer warned. "You won’t know what hit you if you go forward with these awful decisions."

There are no members of the Supreme Court who have done anything to be impeached.  If a justice does something the House thinks is impeachable, there is a process.  But to blatantly threaten a sitting justice for a ruling that he doesn't want them to make...even if he meant with impeachment...is something for which he should be removed from office.  And since he did not say anything about impeachment...I take it as he meant them physical harm.  That is a crime.  Chucky should be removed from office:

LOCK HIM UP....LOCK HIM UP...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Most Americans that paid attention in school during my era and probably through most of the 80s at least, realize that Federal Judges as well as SC Justices CAN be impeached and removed.  It's no easier than what was attempted against Trump, however.  If Democrats in the House feel the need to try to take Kavanaugh or Gorsuch out for their votes and opinions regarding abortion, that is their prerogative as long as they control the House.

To my knowledge it has never been successful though there was one SC Justice who resigned in disgrace for corruption, IIRC.  The point here isn't the validity of threatening a Justice with removal.  It begins and ends with what can easily be seen as a violent double entendre.  THAT is what he did and THAT should require him to apologize and clarify his meaning.  

BTW, IIRC, BOTH Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch were questioned about their opinions on Roe V Wade and both said it was "SETTLED LAW".  I'm not sure how much clearer they can be.  The states who are trying to moderate the frequency and the window within a pregnancy where abortion is legal may want to do away with abortion completely but I doubt they'd ever accomplish that here.  At best they might make it illegal in the days prior to a normal (not handicapped or malformed fetus) live birth. 

Just as women have their right to make that choice, the rest of this nation has a right to be sickened that federal taxes can be used to perform abortions in that circumstance and in some states there is even a growing trend of leaving the door open to ending the life of a  child who survived a botched abortion procedure.  If the decision were left to me, I'd leave it to state legislatures.  They should be close enough to the demands of their constituencies that they'd make a choice that reflects the majority of those voters.

I wouldn't have a problem with a limited amount of federal aid that would enable poor women to be able to travel to states where the procedure is available.  It should not be a cause of threats of violence for Justices to merely ask questions about the intentions surrounding the Left's requirements, especially when those rules they want are nation wide.

mandatory yearly mental evaluations for members of congress??   yea,  the job is stressful, it takes toll, as we see here

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, joc said:

"I want to tell you, Gorsuch. I want to tell you, Kavanaugh. You have released the whirlwind and you will pay the price!" Schumer warned. "You won’t know what hit you if you go forward with these awful decisions."

There are no members of the Supreme Court who have done anything to be impeached.  If a justice does something the House thinks is impeachable, there is a process.  But to blatantly threaten a sitting justice for a ruling that he doesn't want them to make...even if he meant with impeachment...is something for which he should be removed from office.  And since he did not say anything about impeachment...I take it as he meant them physical harm.  That is a crime.  Chucky should be removed from office:

LOCK HIM UP....LOCK HIM UP...

I dunno, if that were true and I were Chucky wouldn't I just hit up Hillary for one of her "suicides" and just plain not say anything?  It's not as if an old man like him could win in a fist fight with Gorsuch or Kavanaugh.

13 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Um, not in this day and age.  Trump would have to apologize left and right if that was the case.  No, you get more electable the more you threaten and insult.  The age of snowflakes is over.

Care to link to language of his where he is threatening, even in a roundabout way, Justices or legislators?   Sincerely.  I am unaware of him doing that.  Cite it please.  If he used language like Schumer did then HE is wrong as well.  Schumer's words could EASILY be taken as a threat and no one would imagine he meant HE was going to hurt someone.  Im not even sure he or Pelosi or Schiff would agree to accept even partial responsibility of a crazy acted on their words AND said he had. This isn't about "they all do it".  A Sanders fan got wound up by the media attacks in Trump's first year and the nutter tried to shoot a bunch of Republicans. 

Had guards not been close that could have been a multiple homicide.  As it was, Scalese took over a year and many surgeries to survive.  So... if a Right wing nutter went off and shot Democrats, I'm pretty sure you'd be losing your mind in wrath.  I KNOW the rest of the Left and their 5th column would be.  My point, again, is that it is easy to start a fire, damned difficult to quench one.  Neither side will win.

3 minutes ago, and then said:

Care to link to language of his where he is threatening, even in a roundabout way, Justices or legislators?   Sincerely.  I am unaware of him doing that.  Cite it please.  If he used language like Schumer did then HE is wrong as well.  Schumer's words could EASILY be taken as a threat and no one would imagine he meant HE was going to hurt someone.  Im not even sure he or Pelosi or Schiff would agree to accept even partial responsibility of a crazy acted on their words AND said he had. This isn't about "they all do it".  A Sanders fan got wound up by the media attacks in Trump's first year and the nutter tried to shoot a bunch of Republicans. 

Had guards not been close that could have been a multiple homicide.  As it was, Scalese took over a year and many surgeries to survive.  So... if a Right wing nutter went off and shot Democrats, I'm pretty sure you'd be losing your mind in wrath.  I KNOW the rest of the Left and their 5th column would be.  My point, again, is that it is easy to start a fire, damned difficult to quench one.  Neither side will win.

Like when he threatened to sue: https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/12/politics/trump-threatens-sue-schiff-pelosi/index.html

Or tweeted about arresting Schiff for treason:

Or Hillary:https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/09/trump-gun-owners-clinton-judges-second-amendment

I could on for ages.  He's always the victim and people should punish those that speak against him.  That's his modus operandi.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

I dunno, if that were true and I were Chucky wouldn't I just hit up Hillary for one of her "suicides" and just plain not say anything?  It's not as if an old man like him could win in a fist fight with Gorsuch or Kavanaugh.

I guess you think everyone should just laugh this one off.  Forgive me for imagining you'd have a massively different take if a Republican Senator had said similar things about Sotomayor or the notorious RBG.  The difference here is that a Republican almost certainly WOULD backtrack and apologize.  Don't be surprised when that trend is no longer dependable and the screaming from the Left is ignored.  That won't be a red-letter day for America but it will be justified, most likely.