Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Schumer threatens Supreme Court Justices

and-then

3 minutes ago, Setton said:

"I could shoot someone and still get elected." 

"Lock her up." 

"knock the crap out of them, would you? Seriously, OK? Just knock the hell ... I promise you I will pay for the legal fees."

You're nothing but a hypocrite @and then

Well, yes, but that comment WAS in relation to anyone threatening to throw a tomato at him ! :P 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Setton said:

Interesting that you see that as a threat but asking Russia to hack a political opponent is just a joke. 

You can still go back and watch that on video.  He speaks, the crowd laughs, average people realize he was telling a joke.  But what you believe about that is your choice.  That's all done and he's still standing. And Schumer's words were very specific and very inflammatory.  The fact that people can disagree about what he "meant" is kind of the point.  The nastiness, the lies, the slanders and the escalating war of words are on a tempo that could lead to actual violence before this election is over.  When the Chief Justice of the U.S. makes a point of publicly rebuking a Senator, that's a big deal.  I don't know that it has ever happened before.

He has a duty to be sober enough with his language that there is no room for nutters to decide to be the one who brings down the "whirlwind".  Trump can be vulgar, nasty and generally juvenile at times BUT he doesn't threaten Supreme Court Justices.  This isn't about differing political ideologies.  It's about the language of threats.  

• Like 1

Here's some context outside of Fox's focus on one sentence and then the over reactive "rebuke" and typical whining and hypocrisy coming from the right....

We know what’s at stake. Over the last three years, women’s reproductive rights have come under attack in a way we haven’t seen in modern history. From Louisiana to Missouri to Texas, Republican legislatures are waging a war on women, all women, and they’re taking away fundamental rights. I want to tell you, Gorsuch, I want to tell you, Kavanaugh, you have released the whirlwind and you will pay the price. You won’t know what hit you if you go forward with these awful decisions.

Chuck Schumer: (01:04)
The bottom line is very simple. We will stand with the American people. We will stand with American women. We will tell President Trump and Senate Republicans, who have stacked the court with right-wing ideologues, that you’re going to be gone in November, and you will never be able to do what you’re trying to do now ever, ever again. You hear that over there on the far right? You’re gone in November.

Chuck Schumer: (01:40)
We are here to send these folks a message, “Not on our watch.” Let me ask you, my friends, are we going to let Republicans undo a woman’s right to choose?

If what he said is a threat then there are people in this very thread who should be in prison for the crap they say MULTIPLE times in some threads trying to look super tough and manly. 

2 minutes ago, and then said:

You can still go back and watch that on video.  He speaks, the crowd laughs, average people realize he was telling a joke.  But what you believe about that is your choice.  That's all done and he's still standing. And Schumer's words were very specific and very inflammatory.  The fact that people can disagree about what he "meant" is kind of the point.  The nastiness, the lies, the slanders and the escalating war of words are on a tempo that could lead to actual violence before this election is over.  When the Chief Justice of the U.S. makes a point of publicly rebuking a Senator, that's a big deal.  I don't know that it has ever happened before.

He has a duty to be sober enough with his language that there is no room for nutters to decide to be the one who brings down the "whirlwind".  Trump can be vulgar, nasty and generally juvenile at times BUT he doesn't threaten Supreme Court Justices.  This isn't about differing political ideologies.  It's about the language of threats.  

Or when he "suggested" that maybe "2nd amendment people" could take action against a political opponent....

10 hours ago, Agent0range said:

threatens a judge, maybe accuses the judge of not being able to make a fair decision in a case based on his heritage,

Nice try.  There is NO equivalency between these two actions.  One is an opinion about the judge's integrity while the other is a THREAT.  You guys just will not accept the fact that Schumer went overboard in a big way and he's going to pay a political price for it unless he apologizes.  Schumer being what he is, I'm pretty sure he'll never back down, he'll just double down.  So the escalation continues going up.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

Or when he "suggested" that maybe "2nd amendment people" could take action against a political opponent....

Yeah... he runs his mouth occasionally.  I never said I support every word out of his mouth all the time.  But you still aren't processing this.  This isn't about nasty or spiteful remarks about political opponents.  This is the Senate minority leader using language that many construe to be a threat against two current Supreme Court Justices.  If you really can't grasp how out of line that is, there's no way I can explain it to you.  All I can say is if this level of vitriol continues to increase and blood gets spilled because of it, it is going to badly damage the fabric of this nation.

5 hours ago, and then said:

Mark Levin is an ultra conservative talk show host so few will listen to him but if an ethics review was justified in the case of Devin Nunes a couple years ago, it certainly seems appropriate to bring Schumer before that committee to answer for his rhetoric. 

It took me a long time to cozy back up to Mark Levin.  He totally enraged me with his Anti-Trump bs during the campaign.  But...he turned around...how he couldn't see the reality of Cruz vs Hillary as a no win for Cruz I don't understand.  I mean...I get the guy because Cruz appears far more conservative than Trump...but in reality...you can call a duck an alligator all day long but it will never bite your leg off.  Trump is probably the most conservative president we have had in our life time.  Definitely the Fighter we all wanted!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

Here's some context outside of Fox's focus on one sentence and then the over reactive "rebuke" and typical whining and hypocrisy coming from the right....

If what he said is a threat then there are people in this very thread who should be in prison for the crap they say MULTIPLE times in some threads trying to look super tough and manly. 

Right... because random people on the internet blowing off steam are equivalent to the Senate minority leader using threatening language against TWO Supreme Court Justices that he called out by name.  I don't know how old you are or how much you understand about our system of government but you can take my word for this...Schumer was so far out of line, he couldn't see where the line WAS any longer.  If you think leaders in the Congress should be able to use such language against another co-equal branch of government then I'd say you've decided we need no civility or standards any longer and we can just settle things with threats, then actions.

I think Schumer should hold a press conference, explain what he said and what he MEANT.  He should apologize for the misunderstanding and that will put paid to the whole thing.  Alternatively, he can double down, keep running his mouth and the respect Americans have for government can continue down to the bottom.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, joc said:

It took me a long time to cozy back up to Mark Levin.  He totally enraged me with his Anti-Trump bs during the campaign.  But...he turned around...how he couldn't see the reality of Cruz vs Hillary as a no win for Cruz I don't understand.  I mean...I get the guy because Cruz appears far more conservative than Trump...but in reality...you can call a duck an alligator all day long but it will never bite your leg off.  Trump is probably the most conservative president we have had in our life time.  Definitely the Fighter we all wanted!

I have to take him in small doses.  I agree with 90+ % of his opinions but listening to what amounts to a laundry list of abuses and outright crimes being committed by the Dems yet knowing they're probably never going to be held to account makes me ANGRY.  I can't listen for long periods of time because it makes me angry and I don't enjoy rage.  

I just hope that Barr and Durham are on the level and are going to hold some people accountable for the crimes committed.  If nothing comes from it and no one is indicted or tried then we can kiss this nation goodbye.  The scum in DC will have a clear path to implement damned near anything they choose.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, and then said:

Right... because random people on the internet blowing off steam are equivalent to the Senate minority leader using threatening language against TWO Supreme Court Justices that he called out by name.  I don't know how old you are or how much you understand about our system of government but you can take my word for this...Schumer was so far out of line, he couldn't see where the line WAS any longer.  If you think leaders in the Congress should be able to use such language against another co-equal branch of government then I'd say you've decided we need no civility or standards any longer and we can just settle things with threats, then actions.

I think Schumer should hold a press conference, explain what he said and what he MEANT.  He should apologize for the misunderstanding and that will put paid to the whole thing.  Alternatively, he can double down, keep running his mouth and the respect Americans have for government can continue down to the bottom.

You're so lost you can't even remember where the real world is my friend. 

I'm not saying what schumer said was "perfect" but what you fail to realize in your righteous indignation is that it's part of an escalation. I know you're too deluded to see it, but go back. Look at some things and tell me if you can't see how your "outrage" here is a little misguided.

Republicans seem to get off on acting high and mighty while refusing to acknowledge their own faults and misdeeds. They're like the drunk guy who spits in somebody's face at a bar and then calls the cops when they get punched in the face. 

And FYI a threat is a threat no matter where it comes from. Stop moving the line to clear others of wrongdoing. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Robotic Jew said:

I'm not saying what schumer said was "perfect" but what you fail to realize in your righteous indignation is that it's part of an escalation

Well... I guess we'll just see how it all pans out.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Setton said:

Interesting that you see that as a threat but asking Russia to hack a political opponent is just a joke. 

Indeed. That is because the two statements are what we call "completely different". Oh, and in a different context as well. 

Personally, I think the whole thing is a whirlwind in a teacup ! 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Setton said:

"I could shoot someone and still get elected." 

"Lock her up." 

"knock the crap out of them, would you? Seriously, OK? Just knock the hell ... I promise you I will pay for the legal fees."

You're nothing but a hypocrite @and then

No sense of humor at all.  You take things out of context when the context is everything.  You didn't even hear Trump say any of that...you just heard the Main Stream Leftist Political Media 'describe' how they want you to view it and in the context 'they' want you to.  You therefore have nothing but a TV set to tell you what to think.  Sad!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well, McConnell called Schumer out on this issue and Schumer defended his actions but he also decided to muster up some integrity and sorta kinda apologized:

Now I should not have used the words I used," Schumer said. "They didn't come out the way I intended to."

Schumer insisted he in no way meant to threaten Gorsuch or Kavanaugh, and that McConnell knows this. He claimed he was referring to the political consequences the case could have.

There, he did the right thing, now he can move on with some dignity left.  I have to admit, I misjudged him.  I never thought he'd offer anything like contrition or admit misspeaking.  Good on 'em.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, and then said:

Now I should not have used the words I used," Schumer said. "They didn't come out the way I intended to."

Well I will say that is one small step above the old standard, "Mistakes were made."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, and then said:

Well, McConnell called Schumer out on this issue and Schumer defended his actions but he also decided to muster up some integrity and sorta kinda apologized:

Schumer insisted he in no way meant to threaten Gorsuch or Kavanaugh, and that McConnell knows this. He claimed he was referring to the political consequences the case could have.

There, he did the right thing, now he can move on with some dignity left.  I have to admit, I misjudged him.  I never thought he'd offer anything like contrition or admit misspeaking.  Good on 'em.

Now if only somebody in a higher office could take notes and learn something...

6 hours ago, and then said:

I have to take him in small doses.  I agree with 90+ % of his opinions but listening to what amounts to a laundry list of abuses and outright crimes being committed by the Dems yet knowing they're probably never going to be held to account makes me ANGRY.  I can't listen for long periods of time because it makes me angry and I don't enjoy rage.  

I just hope that Barr and Durham are on the level and are going to hold some people accountable for the crimes committed.  If nothing comes from it and no one is indicted or tried then we can kiss this nation goodbye.  The scum in DC will have a clear path to implement damned near anything they choose.

I seen a blip on my internet radar yesterday that there will be no coming Durham report. I didn't read further. I just shook my head. We'll see. I've completely out aside any further thought into these supposed investigations until we see something concrete. Tired of wondering what's up.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Well I will say that is one small step above the old standard, "Mistakes were made."

Hey, these days I'll take what I can get and try to be thankful.  It has gotten beyond insane in that town.  These people don't even try to fake civility any longer.  I think the only reason Pelosi didn't spontaneously combust during the SoTU, was she was focused on her performance when he finished :P

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, F3SS said:

I seen a blip on my internet radar yesterday that there will be no coming Durham report. I didn't read further. I just shook my head. We'll see. I've completely out aside any further thought into these supposed investigations until we see something concrete. Tired of wondering what's up.

I heard the same report weeks ago but the point was made that he is a Federal Prosecutor and his "work product" will be indictments or nothing at all.  I really, REALLY pray that Barr and Durham are men of integrity. I also hope that they put together solid cases against those in the Obama administration that ran an operation using intel and law enforcement to spy and sabotage an opposition candidate.  If there is no prosecution then we are officially no longer a nation of laws.  

If a good ole boy in south Alabama can figure this out and see what's happening then I KNOW millions of other Americans are going to be outraged as well.  If indictments are handed down in the DC area and it isn't possible to get a change of venue  then the only satisfaction we will get is the ability to see real evidence of their criminal acts.  No DC jury will convict any of these thugs.  There will be a reckoning sooner or later.  Lawlessness and a multi-tiered system of justice is no justice at all.  Those who control the game in DC are probably pretty chuffed with themselves as they ignore and evade justice but a day will come when the rest of the nation demands the same privilege and if it is denied, they''ll use whatever force is necessary.  It reminds me of a salesman we bought a pontoon boat from years ago.  We were bargaining over price and I thought he was getting a little too deep into my pocket and he said, man, I've been in business here for nearly 30 years and I learned something early on.  You can shear a sheep many times but you can only skin him once.  THAT is what these thugs are eventually going to face and it ain't gonna be nothin' nice.

• Like 1

Schumer has no ground. He's not as bad as Trump but as a lifelong politician he should know better. Especially with the USSC. And no one wants bull headed leadership from dems. It doesn't work for them or their bases. They only win when they can prove they're smarter, not tougher. Donna brasil telling someone to go to hell the other day doen's help them either. It's not their personality.    

8 hours ago, Robotic Jew said:

What political consequences can there be for someone appointed, not elected, to a lifetime position?  The threats against the 2 judges and the reference to someone being "taken out 20 ways from Sunday" could almost be a reason for re-examining Scalia's death.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

What political consequences can there be for someone appointed, not elected, to a lifetime position?  The threats against the 2 judges and the reference to someone being "taken out 20 ways from Sunday" could almost be a reason for re-examining Scalia's death.

Impeachment.  Justices can be removed by Congress.

32 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

What political consequences can there be for someone appointed

That's been my take on it too. It really narrows down the list of reasonable interpretations. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Impeachment.  Justices can be removed by Congress.

But that's ridiculous too. Impeachment for what? Just because???

• Like 2