Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Fairy Godmother to be genderless

30 posts in this topic

Eldorado
Posted (edited)

"Billy Porter has revealed his version of the Fairy Godmother in the new live-action remake of Cinderella will be genderless.

""Magic has no gender," the star said in an interview with US channel CBS News, adding that young people are "ready" for the change."

Full monty at Sky news: https://news.sky.com/story/fairy-godmother-to-be-genderless-in-new-cinderella-billy-porter-explains-why-11950076

At CBS on YouTube: (45secs)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

and then

Sure... why not?  While we're at it, lets have Cinderfella wear biker boots and chains and let prince charming have a coming out for his Trans personality.  Now, how can we screw up another tried and true fairytale?  This constant drumbeat of what amounts to perversion is making me depressed.  I'm all funned out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Piney
12 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

"Billy Porter has revealed his version of the Fairy Godmother in the new live-action remake of Cinderella will be genderless.

Well, that's not how the original I.E concept works. There's a reason they were called "mothers".

Of course Disney soils everything they touch.......

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

Taun

"Billy Porter has revealed his version of the Fairy Godmother in the new live-action remake of Cinderella will be genderless. "

I'm predicting the show will largely be viewerless as well...

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

acute
4 minutes ago, and then said:

While we're at it, lets have Cinderfella

Cinderfella is way better than my "Fairy Gaymother" attempt.

• Haha 6

and then
2 minutes ago, Piney said:

Well, that's not how the original I.E concept works. There's a reason they were called "mothers".

Of course Disney soils everything they touch.......

Yes, they do.  If it were just the result of artistic hyperbole or some ill-conceived inspiration, I could understand that.  This ISN'T that.  This is an agenda being played out in front of young kids and Disney's creative types seem to be intent on confusing little kids about gender roles to the point where the poor wee'uns are going to be almighty CONFUSED at best as they grow up.  Damn... isn't that hard enough already?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Piney
Just now, and then said:

Yes, they do.  If it were just the result of artistic hyperbole or some ill-conceived inspiration, I could understand that.  This ISN'T that.  This is an agenda being played out in front of young kids and Disney's creative types seem to be intent on confusing little kids about gender roles to the point where the poor wee'uns are going to be almighty CONFUSED at best as they grow up.  Damn... isn't that hard enough already?  

Pocahontas and Mulan really get my nuts twisted. The real Hu Mulan was a Turkic-Iranian warrior woman. Pocahontas was a trained Pniise (Shaman-Councilor) and a member of my caste and Disney turned them into idiotic dips. So much for "empowering" women. <_<

Really Fairy Godmothers were protection goddesses and their gender is pretty much laid out. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

third_eye

They do did gave us some memorable tunes though, once upon a time... 

[00.04:20]

~

• Like 6

Piney
10 minutes ago, third_eye said:

They do did gave us some memorable tunes though, once upon a time...

Except they banned "Song of the South", which had some great tunes because they are only permitted to portray racial stereotypes in Asians and NAs. :yes:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Piney
39 minutes ago, acute said:

Cinderfella is way better than my "Fairy Gaymother" attempt.

You need to borrow my red football shorts next time. ^_^

• Haha 3

rashore

Goodness, the negativity in this thread already :no:

And folks can leave off Disney with this one. This production isn't a Disney effort. It's Columbia Pictures under Sony that's making this version of the story.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

XenoFish

Good thing I'm done with Hollyweird.

spartan max2
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Taun said:

"Billy Porter has revealed his version of the Fairy Godmother in the new live-action remake of Cinderella will be genderless. "

I'm predicting the show will largely be viewerless as well...

Nah, because the fairy godmothers will probably still look, act, and sound female.

They are just "genderless" if you ask the producer lol:lol:

Edit: just read the article, I may be incorrect.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

and then
1 hour ago, rashore said:

And folks can leave off Disney with this one. This production isn't a Disney effort. It's Columbia Pictures under Sony that's making this version of the story.

Sorry, Rashore, I set the tone but it really isn't about pushing hate.  I've become an old coot who gets wound up because there don't seem to be ANY familiar landmarks to guide by anymore.  When I was growing up the most disruptive thing we had in our culture was cigarettes, a little weed and playboy magazine.  Ahh the good old days when there were only two recognized genders, a limited choice of pronouns and, to paraphrase a line from a Bugs Bunny cartoon - "The Klondike , where men were men and women were women (a darned good arrangement)"  :w00t:

• Like 3

LeonKennedy
1 hour ago, rashore said:

Agreed.  I'm starting to see the trend...everywhere on the site, except in the games threads. 

• Sad 2

third_eye

Oh oh... Sir Eldo 's goonna git a spank'n... 

~

• Haha 3

freetoroam

Well lets have a look at this in detail:

Fairy = does not exist

God = very debatable, personally I say it does not exist either

Mother = fricking millions of them! 

So the only thing which actually does exist are mothers and this plonker wants to take that away.

Its a fairy tale ffs, make believe, a bit of fun, leave it alone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

and then
20 minutes ago, LeonKennedy said:

Agreed.  I'm starting to see the trend...everywhere on the site, except in the games threads. 

May I ask what the trend is that you see?  FTR, I am not a hater.  I didn't attempt to offend and if I did offend, I apologize.  As I said earlier, getting older and seeing the culture that my generation grew up with all but become unrecognizable, is depressing.  That's our issue and just like every generation before us, we'll adjust.  We may never actually understand, but we can adjust.  

If you'd care to share what this trend is, I'd appreciate being able to learn.

Orphalesion
Posted (edited)

I mean "Fairy Godparent" has been a thing for a while. And sure the folklore speaks exclusively of Fairy Godmothers, but on the other hand folklore tends to do this thing where it changes and adapts across the centuries. Nothing wrong with that. And nothing wrong with changing up mythological and folkloric elements of a story for a modern retelling (imho). Or otherwise we may want to question where Cinderella's fur slippers and magic, talking tree growing on her mother's graves are....

The only aspect where I see the problem is that they make a big deal about it and want to be praised instead of just doing it.

2 hours ago, Piney said:

Except they banned "Song of the South", which had some great tunes because they are only permitted to portray racial stereotypes in Asians and NAs. :yes:

As far as I know Song of the South is available on DVD here in Europe.

3 hours ago, Piney said:

Pocahontas and Mulan really get my nuts twisted. The real Hu Mulan was a Turkic-Iranian warrior woman. Pocahontas was a trained Pniise (Shaman-Councilor) and a member of my caste and Disney turned them into idiotic dips. So much for "empowering" women. <_<

I agree with Mulan and Pocahontas, because there Disney shat over the memory of real life people to fit them into the Disney formula. Particularly.

I gotta be honest, I really hated Frozen. The original Fairy Tale already featured a female protagonist (and several skilled and active female side characters) who all by herself went through hell and frozen water to safe someone she cares about, no need to turn the Snow Queen into a good guy.

Maleficient was even worse. They took one of the most badass villains in Disney history and turned her into a simpering victim. *yay*

As for Cinderella I still like the Daria version best "So Cinderella said 'let's skip the ball' and wished herself to be the first female president. The Prince, realizing that the Monarchy was obsolete went and opened a CD store."

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Thanks 1

Desertrat56
3 hours ago, and then said:

Well, I am not so sure about the confusion.  Let kids be kids and try what ever they want that doesn't hurt them, however Disney has always had a very strange agenda.  In the 80's it was all about "parents are stupid and kids have to save the world."  I quit taking the kids to disney movies then and I have no clue what their agenda was in the 90's.  In the 2000's it was magical teen soap operas, so I think what ever Disney's agenda is depends on who the CEO is.

• Like 2

TigerBright19

How can Hollywood treat all genders the same if they have separate Academy awards for Best actor - Best actress.  In future they will be genderless.  Unless Hollywood is too afraid to practice what they preach.  ^_^

third_eye
8 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

"parents are stupid and kids have to save the world." 

~

[00.03:06]

~

Desertrat56
19 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

How can Hollywood treat all genders the same if they have separate Academy awards for Best actor - Best actress.  In future they will be genderless.  Unless Hollywood is too afraid to practice what they preach.  ^_^

Is it really Hollywood?  I thought it was Disney, which is different.

TigerBright19
8 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I quit taking the kids to disney movies then and I have no clue what their agenda was in the 90's

Mostly female characters doing masculine roles.  Vice President Pence complained about Disney films in the 1990's.  e.g.

mulan.png

• Haha 1

TigerBright19
3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Is it really Hollywood?  I thought it was Disney, which is different.

Columbia Pictures, Los Angeles, Hollywood.