Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Easter Island statue hit by a truck

Eldorado

"The mayor of Easter Island has called for vehicle restrictions to be introduced around its archaeological sites after a pickup truck hit one of the famous stone statues, causing “incalculable” damage.

"A Chilean man who lives on the island, in Polynesia, was arrested after the incident on Sunday and has been charged with damaging a national monument, according to the Chilean newspaper El Mercurio de Valparaíso. The platform on which the statue stood was also damaged in the crash, it reported."

Full report at the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/05/easter-island-anger-after-truck-crashes-into-sacred-stone-statue

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Oh oh... Trump Hotel Easter Island Golf Resort ...

~

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Easer Island statue hit by a truck

Phone 111 straightaway, and tell them you may have been infected with the Dumbledore Virus.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Easer Island? where is that? lol

• Haha 2

Camilo Rapu, the president of the Ma’u Henua community, which looks after the moai, said the crash may have been deliberate.

The island’s mayor, Pedro Edmunds Paoa, told El Mercurio the collision appeared to have been the result of brake failure.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/05/easter-island-anger-after-truck-crashes-into-sacred-stone-statue

The guy has been arrested 

A Chilean man who lives on the island, in Polynesia, was arrested after the incident on Sunday and has been charged with damaging a national monument

So is he getting done for accidentally damaging a national monument or deliberately damaging  it? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, aztek said:

it does not look like an accident,  

A pickup truck collided with a moai platform on Easter Island

Yeah, nah... I'm thinking there just might have been an adult beverage involved here ;) 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, and then said:

Yeah, nah... I'm thinking there just might have been an adult beverage involved here ;) 

I was reminded of the Griswalds at Stonehenge...

• Haha 1

I didn't realize so many people lived on Easter Island.   Nearly 8000.  Is tourism their main source of $$?