Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA's Mars 2020 Rover Has a Name

Waspie_Dwarf

Virginia Middle School Student Earns Honor of Naming NASA's Next Mars Rover

NASA's next Mars rover has a new name – Perseverance.

The name was announced Thursday by Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator of the Science Mission Directorate, during a celebration at Lake Braddock Secondary School in Burke, Virginia. Zurbuchen was at the school to congratulate seventh grader Alexander Mather, who submitted the winning entry to the agency’s "Name the Rover" essay contest, which received 28,000 entries from K-12 students from every U.S. state and territory.

arrow3.gif Read More: NASA

• Like 1

The drone is a great idea, IMO. Hopefully it works well.
And if it fails, I hope it at least teaches us what not to do when designing another flying Mars drone.

I hope the rovers name comes with new ground management and well more curiosity.

• Confused 1

On 3/7/2020 at 4:24 PM, qxcontinuum said:

I hope the rovers name comes with new ground management and well more curiosity.

There has been plenty of curiosity and ground management. NASA is curious to answer the questions of real scientists, not conspiracy theorists.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

There has been plenty of curiosity and ground management. NASA is curious to answer the questions of real scientists, not conspiracy theorists.

Well there's been 40 years of Mars exploration and I'll be damn if anything coming out of it can be called science!

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

Well there's been 40 years of Mars exploration and I'll be damn if anything coming out of it can be called science!

That's funny because the world's REAL scientists totally disagree with you.

As you have a proven record of not understanding even the most basic of scientific concepts and they are experts I know which opinion I am going to totally ignore. 

• Like 1

What, l am sure that there is a rational explanation for Mars disappearing and reappearing atmosphere?

:lol:

41 minutes ago, tmcom said:

What, l am sure that there is a rational explanation for Mars disappearing and reappearing atmosphere?

:lol:

Yes, the rational explanation is that you don't know what you are talking about.

Mars atmosphere has not disappeared and reappeared. It once had a much thicker atmosphere,  most of which has been lost, but it has never been claimed that it disappeared totally.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

Really.   Haven't you seen.  We actually have close up pictures of another planet.  Pictures which are being studied.  

I find it incredible.  

14 hours ago, Myles said:

Really.   Haven't you seen.  We actually have close up pictures of another planet.  Pictures which are being studied.  

I find it incredible.  

I agree with this statement. I enjoy watching pictures too! However after so many billion dollars invested in countless Mars mission you would expect some more progress to be made and published aside than what we know about Mars since 1970's.

Each mission to Mars is a waste of time. Titan, Europa, other missions can be financed instead. What is with this frenzy about Mars unless there is another reason, one darker that has nothing to do with space exploration ...

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1

I agree with this statement. I enjoy watching pictures too! However after so many billion dollars invested in countless Mars mission you would expect some more progress to be made and published aside than what we know about Mars since 1970's.

Each mission to Mars is a waste of time. Titan, Europa, other missions can be financed instead. What is with this frenzy about Mars unless there is another reason, one darker that has nothing to do with space exploration ...

What a pile of rubbish. There has been a huge amount of progress made. Just because you are unable to understand that progress it doesn't make it a waste of time and money. 

We now know that Mars once had a thick atmosphere, Mars once had rivers and oceans. We know that in the past Mars had a climate suitable for life.

Despite your continuously false and dishonest statements none of this was known in the 1970s. Your inability to understand how science works is staggering. You can not distinguish between suspicion and proof, between supposition and evidence. Despite being corrected on this many times you continue with the same lie.

Photographs of Mars in the 1970s SUGGESTED that there had been running water on Mars in the past  but did not prove it. There were alternative possibilities. Only when rovers visited Mars was it known for sure. THAT is how science works , by gathering evidence, not by taking a wild guess.

Recently there have been tantalising pieces of evidence that life may still exist on Mars. Enough evidence that not only NASA but ESA and Russia as well as the Chinese are sending rovers there to look for life. In addition India has sent an orbiter there and the UAE will send an orbiter in the next launch window.

Mars is still the most likely place to discover life in the solar system.

So on the one side we have those that think Mars is worth exploring. That includes the foremost experts of the USA, Europe, Russia, China, India and the UAE.

On the other side we have those that think Mars isn't worth exploring. That includes the massively scientifically inept qxcontinuum. 

It's difficult to decide which side is correct isn't it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

Agreed to a point, we do get some nice pictures, (which shows things that some cannot and will not see) and some mention of methane, but sure is that worth over 1 billion of taxpayers money?

I would say yes, since there is a trickle of reality in the thousands of images l have run through, that will turn into all out disclosure eventually.

And Curiosity drives past plenty of things that it should be taking a closer look at, but l guess the taxpayer foots the bill and NASA decides.

And JPL, p,....never mind!

^_^

On 3/11/2020 at 6:18 AM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

What a pile of rubbish. There has been a huge amount of progress made. Just because you are unable to understand that progress it doesn't make it a waste of time and money. 

We now know that Mars once had a thick atmosphere, Mars once had rivers and oceans. We know that in the past Mars had a climate suitable for life.

Blahnik blahnik.. regardless of what you're explaining, the ambiguity of results published or their lacking thereof has been criticized by many including scientists and often this reality has been voiced online including copied in this forum. The progress is very slow, highly expensive and in the end findings are nothing but confirmation of what we knew about Mars.

There is nothing to understand in fact I find it vulgar that NASA is telling me now that Mars field Is stronger than what they ve observed in the past. This means what they are telling me now would be different in next years and I must take everything they say with a grain of salt. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

Blahnik blahnik.. regardless of what you're explaining, the ambiguity of results published or their lacking thereof has been criticized by many including scientists and often this reality has been voiced online including copied in this forum. The progress is very slow, highly expensive and in the end findings are nothing but confirmation of what we knew about Mars.

There is nothing to understand in fact I find it vulgar that NASA is telling me now that Mars field Is stronger than what they ve observed in the past. This means what they are telling me now would be different in next years and I must take everything they say with a grain of salt. 

Agreed, some want to believe that NASA never withholds vital evidence or lies, but discarding the mounting evidence that Mars is a lot more than a dead rock, here is one!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/390634.stm

So if the media asked they wouldn't get an answer, or the public was not told that they would be dumped there if something happened, and l bet their wives where not told.

Nixen was mum, about it, which is no surprize, so NASA withholds information and lies if it suits them, or it is in the country's best interests.

Which explains why a kid taking a Mars closest approach image, always shows a blue atmosphere, as does Hubble, but everything else no atmosphere at all.

Saturns moon Titan, from Viking up to present day, does not have this problem, as Venus does not, nor any other planet in our solar system, regardless of if a kid took an amateur image, or Hubble or a space probe.

Only Mars, or NASA is saying, "we only want to show Hubble as we can BS our way out, by saying the distance somehow gave us that result, or some other reason" but won't show an image from space, as if Mars has a blue sky and atmosphere, then people will ask, "don't you need a lot of moisture in the atmosphere to have a blue sky"?

And that opens the can of worms, all the way up to life forms.

If NASA is not hiding anything then when the US public want them to check out a statue they should go and check it out, not make up some BS, and ignore it, or at least check it out to shut everyone up!

But they will not and never will, as l said Mars is a lot more than a dead rock.

B)

"Perseverance" is really a tongue twister for not-native English speakers like me. I will ask NASA for renaming. A good name would be Rolf, or Manfred. Something like that.