Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Highest-Resolution Mars Panorama Yet

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA's Curiosity Mars Rover Snaps Its Highest-Resolution Panorama Yet

pia23623-1041.jpg?itok=0d_1mDvF

NASA's Curiosity rover has captured its highest-resolution panorama yet of the Martian surface. Composed of more than 1,000 images taken during the 2019 Thanksgiving holiday and carefully assembled over the ensuing months, the composite contains 1.8 billion pixels of Martian landscape. The rover's Mast Camera, or Mastcam, used its telephoto lens to produce the panorama; meanwhile, it relied on its medium-angle lens to produce a lower-resolution, nearly 650-million-pixel panorama that includes the rover's deck and robotic arm.

arrow3.gif Read More: NASA

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Excellent!

So cool.   I find pics of another planet to be amazing.  

• Thanks 1

Maybe Curiosity can go back to them bizarre images from Mars, and retake them  with its hi-resolution camera 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, MissJatti said:

Maybe Curiosity can go back to them bizarre images from Mars, and retake them  with its hi-resolution camera 

Three points:

1) What bizarre images from Mars?

There are plenty of images that conspiracy theorists think are bizarre,  there are relativity few that real scientists think are bizarre. 

2) Mars is big.

Although smaller than Earth Mars has a surface area comparable to the dry land of Earth.

3) Curiosity is slow.

Curiosity has a maximum speed of just 0.09 mph (0.14 kmh). It is designed for scientific exploration of a local area, not for rapidly traversing large tracts of ground.

• Like 3

Yes ild

5 hours ago, MissJatti said:

Yes we need better pics of the mouse, the spider, and several Egyptian looking statues...and also the dome building.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, DreadLordAvatar said:

Yes ild

Yes we need better pics of the mouse, the spider, and several Egyptian looking statues...and also the dome building.

Curiosity is a mission to do real science,  not to pander to the fantasies of those that don't understand what pareidolia is. These images have been seen and studied by real scientists, real experts in their fields who actually know what they talking about. They have determined that these objects are unextraordinary and not worthy of further examination. 

To repeat something I said in another thread today: science is NOT a democracy, not all opinions are equal. Science is a meritocracy, some opinions have the weight of knowledge behind them and some are worthless.

The opinions of the worlds best geologists, planetary scientists and astronomers have worth. The opinions of random individuals on the internet, with negligible scientific knowledge and whose wishful thinking means they mistake pareidolia for real phenomena do not have worth.

Fortunately it is the experts that get to determine what and where Curiosity explores, otherwise we would waste millions of dollars and have minimal scientific returns because a $2.5 billion rover totally wasted it's time imagining uninteresting rocks just because someone with no real knowledge thought it looked a bit like a mouse.

• Thanks 1

And the point of this effort — to visit other planets? 

Go ahead — respond.  I’m ready and waiting.  :yes:

11 hours ago, Festina said:

It's called learning.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DreadLordAvatar said:

Yes ild

Yes, typical military run NASA, ignore the thing that looks like a metal rod sticking out of the rock, since it cannot be or people are imaging that it is a metal rod, or we are more interested in a dull volcanic rock than some silly artifact from Mars distant past! Full of s....t, yes!

12 hours ago, Festina said:

I thought that smokescreening the paragrim shifting stuff, so the herd stay chewing their cud, instead of a stampeding a cliff?

^_^

• Confused 1

Typical tmcom... knows nothing about science, posts nonsense, provides no supporting evidence and so accuses those that do understand what they are seeing of lying. Once again your ego is making claims your intellect can't back.

You are under the delusion that what you think is important. NASA (which is NOT militarily run, it's a civilian agency, but hey don't let facts get in the way of your drivel) employs some of the best astronomers, geologists and planetary scientists in the world. More damaging for your drivel is that they don't employ all of them. The astronomers, geologists and planetary scientists from research institutes, universities and other institutes from all around the world are in agreement with those of NASA. Those that have a relevant formal education simply do not see what you THINK you see.

To believe that you know more than the experts in a subject you are not educated in shows a massive ego and a tiny capacity for rational thinking... in other words a typical conspiracy theorist mind set.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Typical tmcom... knows nothing about science, posts nonsense, provides no supporting evidence and so accuses those that do understand what they are seeing of lying. Once again your ego is making claims your intellect can't back.

You are under the delusion that what you think is important. NASA (which is NOT militarily run, it's a civilian agency, but hey don't let facts get in the way of your drivel) employs some of the best astronomers, geologists and planetary scientists in the world. More damaging for your drivel is that they don't employ all of them. The astronomers, geologists and planetary scientists from research institutes, universities and other institutes from all around the world are in agreement with those of NASA. Those that have a relevant formal education simply do not see what you THINK you see.

To believe that you know more than the experts in a subject you are not educated in shows a massive ego and a tiny capacity for rational thinking... in other words a typical conspiracy theorist mind set.

Yes, ok then since you know more than l do explain this!

v7NSjVv.jpg

First is Hubble the rest is NASA, or the second one down is Viking 1977, and the rest is also NASA although one is ESA, showing no atmosphere at all, or black around the planet!

Absolutely nothing can explain this except NASA trying to hide the blue atmosphere or sky.

Why would they hide that?

If it has an atmosphere like Pluto then hiding it isn't necessary, but if it is more like Earth!

https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/other-agencies/en/

https://history.nasa.gov/HHR-32/ch6.htm

They practically own it!

I have researched or kept up with Mars for a good 10 years, as well as gone through a third of Curiosity's Mast cam Sols, and read the tech, specs of the current one, and the next one, (well the drone).

And there are a lot of idiots out there, seeing a rock and spending a good half hour on a TY video telling us how this reflective rock is a part of a house, and people like me who don't!

:P

• Confused 1

It is actually not impossible to explain the top image.  In fact with a small amount of knowledge it is very easy to explain.

You claim to have researched. Well you have wasted your time because you have learned nothing. You are blinded by a confirmational bias that means it is impossible for you to accept that you are wrong.

If you had done the research you claim you would know how Hubble takes colour images. You would know that it takes multiple monochrome images through different coloured filters. Those multiple images are then recombined to form a single colour image. This is standard practice used by astronomers both amateur and professional around the world. Monochrome ccd detectors offer higher resolution than colour ones.

Now if you are imaging a moving object, say a rotating planet like Mars, when you recombine the images they won't match exactly. You will get a coloured artifact. That is what is being seen in the Hubble image. No disappearing  atmosphere. 

Incidentally if you were capable of rational thought you would realise how utterly moronic it is trying to prove NASA are trying to hide information from the public by using an image NASA has released to the public.

• Like 3

Ten years of research should have led an individual to look at an awful lot of images and give them the capability to make reasoned, logical judgements based on those images. Apparently that isn't the case with tmcom. He makes the false claim that the Hubble image shows a thick atmosphere around Mars. Had he ever seen an amage showing what a thick atmosphere looks like from space then he would not have made such a claim (unless dishonestly).

Here is an image, from Earth showing the planet's thick atmosphere:631039009_EarthLimb.jpg.f77d5372e3d7e8b6106a496d1b3eb849.jpg

Notice a well defined limb to the planet with the fuzzy blue of the atmosphere clearly ABOVE the planet's limb.

Here is an image of Titan, a moon of Saturn, which has a thick atmosphere:

1232707122_Titanlimb.jpg.245c07983f606b96305a5b954b4b7891.jpg

Notice the atmosphere as the fuzzy bluish haze ABOVE the well defined limb of the moon.

Now lets take another look at the image that tmcom is (falsely) claiming shows an thick atmosphere on Mars (this is exactly the same image tmcom used, I have just cropped it to show only the relevant part):

1239097840_MarsLimbHubble.jpg.968e59a11cea540996f791cafd07d4a9.jpg

Notice that the fuzzy bluish area tmcom is claiming is atmosphere is BELOW the well defined limb of the planet.

If it is below the limb of the planet it can not be atmosphere regardless of whether you accept my explanation for what it actually is or not.

Now if tmcom is capable of logic and reasoning he will admit he is wrong in his interpretation of this image, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, tmcom said:

Yes, ok then since you know more than l do explain this!

v7NSjVv.jpg

First is Hubble the rest is NASA, or the second one down is Viking 1977, and the rest is also NASA although one is ESA, showing no atmosphere at all, or black around the planet!

Absolutely nothing can explain this except NASA trying to hide the blue atmosphere or sky.

Why would they hide that?

If it has an atmosphere like Pluto then hiding it isn't necessary, but if it is more like Earth!

https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/other-agencies/en/

https://history.nasa.gov/HHR-32/ch6.htm

They practically own it!

I have researched or kept up with Mars for a good 10 years, as well as gone through a third of Curiosity's Mast cam Sols, and read the tech, specs of the current one, and the next one, (well the drone).

And there are a lot of idiots out there, seeing a rock and spending a good half hour on a TY video telling us how this reflective rock is a part of a house, and people like me who don't!

:P

So NASA is cleverly hiding the evidence by publicly showing it. Don't you see the flaw in this argument? 

I cant help finding it funny when people use NASA images to show that NASA is hiding something. 

Are ESA, CNSA, JAXA, ISRO and ROSCOSMOS also part of the effort to hide the truth ? Or do they not exist in Conspiracy World?  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Ten years of research should have led an individual to look at an awful lot of images and give them the capability to make reasoned, logical judgements based on those images. Apparently that isn't the case with tmcom. He makes the false claim that the Hubble image shows a thick atmosphere around Mars. Had he ever seen an amage showing what a thick atmosphere looks like from space then he would not have made such a claim (unless dishonestly).

Here is an image, from Earth showing the planet's thick atmosphere:

Notice a well defined limb to the planet with the fuzzy blue of the atmosphere clearly ABOVE the planet's limb.

Here is an image of Titan, a moon of Saturn, which has a thick atmosphere:

Notice the atmosphere as the fuzzy bluish haze ABOVE the well defined limb of the moon.

Now lets take another look at the image that tmcom is (falsely) claiming shows an thick atmosphere on Mars (this is exactly the same image tmcom used, I have just cropped it to show only the relevant part):

Notice that the fuzzy bluish area tmcom is claiming is atmosphere is BELOW the well defined limb of the planet.

If it is below the limb of the planet it can not be atmosphere regardless of whether you accept my explanation for what it actually is or not.

Now if tmcom is capable of logic and reasoning he will admit he is wrong in his interpretation of this image, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Thats, nice it makes no sense but nice pictures.

It is below the limb so we can ignore it, lol, here is one, which isn't. Well NASA did a pretty bad job photoshopping it, but still.

ESA image.

4Qvudzr.jpg

I guess we can ignore this also, since the image was processed the wrong way, or the vibe is wrong?

6 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

So NASA is cleverly hiding the evidence by publicly showing it. Don't you see the flaw in this argument? 

I cant help finding it funny when people use NASA images to show that NASA is hiding something. 

Are ESA, CNSA, JAXA, ISRO and ROSCOSMOS also part of the effort to hide the truth ? Or do they not exist in Conspiracy World?  

And if l ran the same comparison with Venus, showing Hubbles take and all other images, the atmosphere is there every time, but not Mars, it has a magical disappearing and reappearing atmosphere!

And l have found a lot more than this example, but for obvious reasons l don't discuss this here!

:sleepy:

Edited by tmcom
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, tmcom said:

And if l ran the same comparison with Venus, showing Hubbles take and all other images, the atmosphere is there every time, but not Mars, it has a magical disappearing and reappearing atmosphere!

I would like to ask you for what reason/s exactly do you think NASA, or any other agency, should hide the existence of an atmosphere on Mars or any other celestial body within the solar system or beyond?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, toast said:

I would like to ask you for what reason/s exactly do you think NASA, or any other agency, should hide the existence of an atmosphere on Mars or any other celestial body within the solar system or beyond?

I will stay with the initial reason, that NASA buried Vikings findings since a 1950's report said that if the US was told that alien life is real and nearby, the population would riot and cause a country wide pilfering of shopfronts, etc, because they couldn't handle it.

Basically a California, tv and appliance smash the window and grab frenzy US wide.

But in and of itself it is no big deal, but what it could lead to is.

:o

• Confused 1

If it is below the limb you can absolutely ignore it because it can't be atmosphere. 

Even if some of images show Martian atmosphere so what? No one is claiming Mars doesn't have an atmosphere, that is a lie you have made up. Mars DOES have a thin atmosphere. It has been measured not only by NASA but by Russia, ESA and India too.

Another lie you are making up is that NASA is suppressing the discovery of life on Mars.

NASA announced the results of the Viking experiments which looked for life in 1976. Many have interpreted these as finding life, but most INDEPENDENT scientists believe the results to be either negative or too ambiguous to reach a conclusion. 

NASA released the information about the Alan Hills 84001 meteorite suggesting it contained fossils. INDEPENDENT scientists concluded that the so called fossils were of geological origin.

NASA has released the information about the unexpected peaks in methane levels in the Martian atmosphere, which maybe of biological origin. ESA's ExoMars orbited has been unable to detect that methane.

NASA is at the forefront of looking for life on Mars.

10 years of research and all you have to show for it is blatant lies about NASA. You have totally wasted 10 years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Related:

"NASA's Curiosity Mars rover recently set a record for the steepest terrain it's ever climbed, cresting the "Greenheugh Pediment," a broad sheet of rock that sits atop a hill.

"And before doing that, the rover took a selfie, capturing the scene just below Greenheugh."

Pic at Phys Org: https://phys.org/news/2020-03-curiosity-mars-rover-selfie-climb.html