Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

11 million Brazilians believe Earth is flat

UM-Bot

Wow, who'd have thought that far-right authoritarian + evangelical Christian + science denial = the complete dumbass package of flat earther...:rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Hmm..Seems like Brazil may be ahead of the US in this area.  I'm going to write to the president and insist that we do something to close this flat earth gap.  That America is not leading the world in this area is unacceptable!

tumblr_mb1cl42wpy1qbsnbjo1_500.jpg?w=584

• Haha 4

"To scientists, this (Flat-Earth theory) seems more like a topic for psychologists or sociologists to study. The Earth's shape isn't a scientific problem to astronomers."

This.  These flat earthers need their head checked.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DreadLordAvatar said:

These flat earthers need their head checked.

That should not take too long to do.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sure these same people don't believe we walked on the moon, satellites, or the ISS either.

They send out a lot of coffee beans. Does this mean a flat white is made out of flat beans? 

• Like 1

Surprise, surprise, religion rears its grotesque, multi-faceted head again.

I can't get my head around the fact that, in this day and age, people would rather believe the "snake oil merchants" in the Evangelical church who spout their lies purely for financial gain, than established, scientific facts.

Five years ago I had a 16 year old Brazilian exchange student for a few months.    She spoke four languages and was an excellent student and yet I had to teach her how to peel an orange.  No joke. Her family had servants that did everything for them.  

Edited by Festina
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jaded1 said:

Surprise, surprise, religion rears its grotesque, multi-faceted head again.

I can't get my head around the fact that, in this day and age, people would rather believe the "snake oil merchants" in the Evangelical church who spout their lies purely for financial gain, than established, scientific facts.

The Jesuits tortured and burned Giordano Bruno [an Italian Dominican friar, philosopher, mathematician, poet, cosmological theorist, and Hermetic occultistalive for teaching hermeticism and having contrary opinions to catholic dogma.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giordano_Bruno

The numerous charges against Bruno, based on some of his books as well as on witness accounts, included blasphemy, immoral conduct, and heresy in matters of dogmatic theology, and involved some of the basic doctrines of his philosophy and cosmology. Luigi Firpo speculates the charges made against Bruno by the Roman Inquisition were:[33]

And there was Galileo affair as well....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_affair

Galileo was prosecuted for his support of heliocentrism, the astronomical model in which the Earth and planets revolve around the Sun at the centre of the Solar System....

......Further on he [Bellarmine] ] says that interpreting heliocentrism as physically real would be "a very dangerous thing, likely not only to irritate all scholastic philosophers and theologians, but also to harm the Holy Faith by rendering Holy Scripture as false." Moreover, while the topic was not inherently a matter of faith, the statements about it in Scripture were so by virtue of who said them – namely, the Holy Spirit. He conceded that if there were conclusive proof, "then one would have to proceed with great care in explaining the Scriptures that appear contrary; and say rather that we do not understand them, than that what is demonstrated is false." However, demonstrating that heliocentrism merely "saved the appearances" could not be regarded as sufficient to establish that it was physically real. Although he believed that the former may well have been possible, he had "very great doubts" that the latter would be, and in case of doubt it was not permissible to depart from the [the Jesuits] traditional interpretation of [Jewish] Scripture.

[emphasis mine] 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_affair

Edited by Festina

@Piney...what's worse bud,this or the Atlantis crowd? :lol:

22 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

@Piney...what's worse bud,this or the Atlantis crowd? :lol:

Atlantis - this lot are just idiots, the Atlantis mob are idiots who p*** all over history, culture and beliefs.

• Like 2

No educated person really believes the Earth is flat.  

Climate change denial? Climates have always changed, we just dispute the pseudoscience of squarely blaming humans for a process that clearly existed far before us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If people are determined to choose ignorance, no one can force them to choose otherwise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpaceBumZaphod said:

These flat earth folks also believe Australia is fake.

If you want to believe kangaroos are real, that's up to you. :yes:

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

As a Christian, I speak for many others who know for sure the earth isn�t flat. The Bible does not say the earth is flat, which is a false claim of sadly too many of my brothers and sisters. Even observation and critical thought from home makes clear the earth is a spheroid. Another false claim is that planets aren�t planets but angels.. why then do I see Saturn�s rings with a telescope. Religion and science don�t have to be mortal enemies.