Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Capitalism and ESP

stereologist

Back in 1989 Sony corporation decided that they would create products that involved psychic abilities. They planned to make money off of ESP abilities without being a scammer like so many frauds believers adore.

They called this part of Sony corporation the "Institute of Wisdom". They hired all sorts of people and started to test them to determine how to harness this ability. This appears to be the first and last time a mainstream company dumped loads of cash into such a venture.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/sony-senses-a-market-in-esp-1577154.html

But after 7 years the venture was closed. Apparently, it didn't work out well. Read the following link and it shows that no tech was ever developed.

https://parasearcher.blogspot.com/2012/02/closing-dream-factory-sony-proves-that.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

I've heard that Russia and the U.S. experimented in this many years ago and bailed on it a well.  It was worth investigating.

Yoshihiro Otsuki, a professor of physics at Waseda University, led a blistering attack against the lab when it became public. By pouring money into paranormal research, he said, "Sony might as well be denying that its products can be trusted." Otsuki went on to describe the journal which had published Sako's findings as an "occult journal."

He makes a excellent point.

In 1989, Sako approached one of Sony's two founding fathers, Masaru Ibuka, about starting a special department to study the "human science," or bioenergy, which the Chinese call "qi." (pronounced ch'i).

It's interesting that he believed the Western Newage idea of Q'i.

Q'i is not "The Force" from Star Wars. It's a undetectable spiritual energy and has nothing to do with telepathy and telekinesis and many Western "Mc Dojo" martial artists get the idea of Q'i and the "Power of Intention" confused. Which is why most of their stupid stunts fail or they have to fake them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, and then said:

I've heard that Russia and the U.S. experimented in this many years ago and bailed on it a well.  It was worth investigating.

Russian intelligence used the idea to distract U.S. intelligence to get them to waste money and resources. 

The RV tests by the government showed that it is useless and the Sony effort shows that it can't be used to make products, assuming it exists.

The question then for anyone is why are they buying junk that is supposed to detect whatever when it couldn't be done by Sony?

Where is the psi-man that allows you to get a beer from the fridge without getting off the couch?

Where is the psi-man that allows you to turn on the lights without clapping?

Where is the psi-man that allows you to play a video game without picking up a control?

Where?

Apparently, if it is possible it couldn't be created in any form by Sony after 7 or 8 years of trying.

Imagine the possibilities:

• Scratching an itch down there without having to use your very visible hands.
  • Picking your nose in public without anyone being the wiser.
  • Turning the radio to a new station without the passenger in your car being able to stop you from listening to lyrics that they despise.
  • Posting on U-M without having to type or speak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stereologist said:

But I like scratching my chitlins in public. :o

If I'm stuck somewhere and have to listen to a SJW or religious crank, I always stop the speaker dead with "Excuse me while I scratch my nuts" and proceed to do it.  ^_^

• Haha 2

They made a movie about this called Vibes.  Long before the movie called Men Who Stare At Goats.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stereologist said:

Where is the psi-man that allows you to get a beer from the fridge without getting off the couch?

Where is the psi-man that allows you to play a video game without picking up a control?

Where? They're on UM making claims.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stereologist said:

Back in 1989 Sony corporation decided that they would create products that involved psychic abilities. They planned to make money off of ESP abilities without being a scammer like so many frauds believers adore.

They called this part of Sony corporation the "Institute of Wisdom". They hired all sorts of people and started to test them to determine how to harness this ability. This appears to be the first and last time a mainstream company dumped loads of cash into such a venture.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/sony-senses-a-market-in-esp-1577154.html

But after 7 years the venture was closed. Apparently, it didn't work out well. Read the following link and it shows that no tech was ever developed.

https://parasearcher.blogspot.com/2012/02/closing-dream-factory-sony-proves-that.html

No technology needed nor would it be useful.  It’s a natural ability and everyone has it — Intuition is an example. It’s useful application must be honed —  Through awareness—observation—and recognition.  You have it. We all do. At its most low level — We know that “particular food” is not healthy...and yet — we eat it. Lack of awareness. 

Edited by Festina

Over Analysis Paralysis?

Edited by Festina

2 hours ago, Festina said:

No technology needed nor would it be useful.  It’s a natural ability and everyone has it — Intuition is an example. It’s useful application must be honed —  Through awareness—observation—and recognition.  You have it. We all do. At its most low level — We know that “particular food” is not healthy...and yet — we eat it. Lack of awareness. 

Okay, let me ask yo some questions to try and figure something out. You call it intuition.

So is

• Belief in flat Earth intuition?
  • Fear of GMO intuition?
  • Hate of climate change intuition?
  • Faith in Moon landing hoax intuition?
  • Irrational fear of vaccinations intuition?
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So often this idea boils down to:

• I trust that person because I get good vibes form them.
  • I do NOT trust that pathetic person because they suck.

The trust is based on something not based on facts. It is based on vibes which is nothing more than wishful thinking or gullibility or scoffing. Whatever the reason it is irrational except t those that only use irrational thinking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stereologist said:

So often this idea boils down to:

• I trust that person because I get good vibes form them.
  • I do NOT trust that pathetic person because they suck.

The trust is based on something not based on facts. It is based on vibes which is nothing more than wishful thinking or gullibility or scoffing. Whatever the reason it is irrational except t those that only use irrational thinking.

Could it be that you “trust” [like] that person because he agrees with your theses and do not like those that disagree with your opinions as it seems to me to cause a perturbance in your being — and you unfairly JUDGE and attack the ones who indirectly challenge your ideas having never sat down with them over a cup of joe?   Just so you know —  You don’t perturb me at all and will NEVER judge you.  I accept you just the way you are.  We disagree but that’s okay, if there were no civil disagreement amongst us we would learn nothing of importance and be little more a race of sheep.  I see the world differently than most due my comparing my many personal experiences and positive knowledge with the machination of the “Control systems” of which there are many and have cast off any negative programming that I might have influenced me resulting in non attachment and non identification with the status quo of “Do not recognize yourself; surrender yourself to the multitude and obey It designs”.   

Something is amiss on this spherical piece of “real estate”. I have felt it for most of my life  — and now I think understand what it is.  

Ipad is almost out and not charging...gotta go until I resolve this problem.  

Edited by Festina

14 hours ago, Festina said:

Nothing to do with ESP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Festina said:

Could it be that you “trust” [like] that person because he agrees with your theses and do not like those that disagree with your opinions as it seems to me to cause a perturbance in your being — and you unfairly JUDGE and attack the ones who indirectly challenge your ideas having never sat down with them over a cup of joe?   Just so you know —  You don’t perturb me at all and will NEVER judge you.  I accept you just the way you are.  We disagree but that’s okay, if there were no civil disagreement amongst us we would learn nothing of importance and be little more a race of sheep.  I see the world differently than most due my comparing my many personal experiences and positive knowledge with the machination of the “Control systems” of which there are many and have cast off any negative programming that I might have influenced me resulting in non attachment and non identification with the status quo of “Do not recognize yourself; surrender yourself to the multitude and obey It designs”.   

Something is amiss on this spherical piece of “real estate”. I have felt it for most of my life  — and now I think understand what it is.  

Ipad is almost out and not charging...gotta go until I resolve this problem.  

What you describe is called confirmation bias.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

What I do is follow the evidence. You might find it unfair that those with wishful thinking, bad guesses, or making up stories find that the evidence is against them. That happens all of the time.

The evidence is pretty clear. Sony did try to investigate the possibility of creating consumer products using some form of ESP. They invested a lot of resources both time and money.

Intuition is a guess. Those guesses are not always right as I pointed out. People rely on their intuition as if it must be right. They shore up that intuition using confirmation bias. The better tactic is to look for evidence.

Look for evidence that comes in two forms:

• Evidence that supports the position
  • Evidence that falsifies the position

Just as was seen with Rhine, the experiments at Sony were not replicated by others. The reason was that the experiments were not done as well as they should have been.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Listening to a pod cast the other day and the speaker said something interesting. They stated that a skeptics job is never done, but a believer's task is accomplished with one instance.

Sony never got to the point of making a product but does that mean others cannot? Of course not. Then again no one has ever demonstrated that ESP exists. Still waiting for that one instance to appear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Still waiting for that one instance to appear.

You and me both.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, stereologist said:

The RV tests by the government showed that it is useless and the Sony effort shows that it can't be used to make products, assuming it exists.

The question then for anyone is why are they buying junk that is supposed to detect whatever when it couldn't be done by Sony?

Where?

Apparently, if it is possible it couldn't be created in any form by Sony after 7 or 8 years of trying.

Imagine the possibilities:

• Picking your nose in public without anyone being the wiser.
  • Turning the radio to a new station without the passenger in your car being able to stop you from listening to lyrics that they despise.
  • Posting on U-M without having to type or speak

What do any your bullet points have do with intuition?  I was  only commenting on intuition which is listed among these so called paranormal abilities — and there is nothing “magical” or mysterious about it.  I make no claims of this ability as a general practice but three weeks before 9/11 I KNEW something horrific was going to occur, and wrote about it albeit privately held — unlike our somnolent government, military, news media and intelligence agencies, something bad was going to occur  — Very SOON —  were caught ‘unawares’ .  So much so that bought a journal and wrote about it, (it was the only entry written) — something I had never done in my entire life.  

Let me make this very clear — I did not know what this event would be but I KNEW it would change the world FOREVER and that it would have a very very bad long lasting permanent affect on humanity as a whole.   I couldn’t sleep and was extremely perturbed in this regard for several weeks before the event.  No visions no voices — it was the response of my awareness and observations of the insanity and highly negative goings on in the world in which I was inhabiting — and I was aware; conscious  — not ‘sleeping’; unconscious like our ‘rulers’.   That’s all.  Just one example as there are many.  

Edited by Festina

14 hours ago, stereologist said:

Okay, let me ask yo some questions to try and figure something out. You call it intuition.

So is

• Fear of GMO intuition?

The National Institute of Health says getting the flu vaccine significantly increases likelihood of catching corona virus and pneumonia due to "virus interference"

I have had one flu shot in the past 35 years and have only had the flu once — when I was a kid. 

But I’m not telling anyone what they should do — Just sharing. 

Edited by Festina

4 hours ago, Festina said:

What do any your bullet points have do with intuition?  I was  only commenting on intuition which is listed among these so called paranormal abilities — and there is nothing “magical” or mysterious about it.  I make no claims of this ability as a general practice but three weeks before 9/11 I KNEW something horrific was going to occur, and wrote about it albeit privately held — unlike our somnolent government, military, news media and intelligence agencies, something bad was going to occur  — Very SOON —  were caught ‘unawares’ .  So much so that bought a journal and wrote about it, (it was the only entry written) — something I had never done in my entire life.  

Let me make this very clear — I did not know what this event would be but I KNEW it would change the world FOREVER and that it would have a very very bad long lasting permanent affect on humanity as a whole.   I couldn’t sleep and was extremely perturbed in this regard for several weeks before the event.  No visions no voices — it was the response of my awareness and observations of the insanity and highly negative goings on in the world in which I was inhabiting — and I was aware; conscious  — not ‘sleeping’; unconscious like our ‘rulers’.   That’s all.  Just one example as there are many. 

What do my bullet points have to do with intuition?

That's a simple question to answer. Most people falling for these ideas have no facts to back them up. Instead they rely on their intuition. Just like people have for thousands of years they take a quick look out and decide, yup the Earth is flat. If they traveled even a short distance north or south they might notice that the stars have changed position. But they won't. They want to trust their very fallible intuition. What about GMOs? Are they safe? Their intuition tells them that it isn't? Why? No reason. No amount of testing and demonstration of their safety gets these people around the safety issue. Change a crop plant from a C3 to a C4 and see a big jump in productivity. Will people eat it? No. They trust their intuition that GMOs are not safe. These people are unlikely to accept that these crops can prevent the deaths of many people. Their intuition has resulted in them attempting to ban the yellow rice GMO which will prevent the permanent blindness of half a million children each year.  The rest of the issues follow the same pattern, trust in the fallible intuition without looking at any facts and probably rejecting facts because it does not fit with their fallible intuition.

So you have been lucky with the flu. I have too. It is based on guessing what will come in the future. Sometimes the people are right, sometimes wrong. This year it looks like it was a 50% help, not the best but better than nothing at all. Part of the safety is herd immunity. As we see with other diseases they are spreading as people rely on their intuition to avoid taking vaccinations. That can be a tough lesson if it causes permanent brain injury, scarring, or even death.

I have to say I dd not look at the video. Instead I looked for the original article. Why? Because many of these videos need to be fact checked. So many are complete horse pucky. Is this one? I don't know until I check out the issue beforehand. The issue is about viruses and how vaccinations can  interfere with each other.

Let me quote the article.

Conclusions

Receipt of influenza vaccination was not associated with virus interference among our population. Examining virus interference by specific respiratory viruses showed mixed results. Vaccine derived virus interference was significantly associated with coronavirus and human metapneumovirus; however, significant protection with vaccination was associated not only with most influenza viruses, but also parainfluenza, RSV, and non-influenza virus coinfections.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264410X19313647

So this is a well understood and researched issue.

Now for the video.

Just watched it and the person speaking doesn't seem to understand what was stated in the article. Does that surprise me? Not at all. What is their rant about? Not sure. They seem to be purposely obtuse to allow the listener to apply their intuition to see whatever they want to see.

Virus interference is known for a host of vaccinations including dengue fever. I was surprised to learn dengue had a vaccination.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/virus-interference

So what should I do? It's all a crap shoot. The vaccine makers guess about the more prevalent strains. Corona viruses have been the deadly MERS and SARS.

Here is the Elsevier site on the current corona virus.

https://www.elsevier.com/connect/coronavirus-information-center?dgcid=_SD_banner#research

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, stereologist said:

So is

• Fear of GMO intuition?

Flat earth? I’m not a flat earther.  I have read some of their theses as I’m curious how people come to such conclusions.  

GMO?  Not hysterical about it but it does concern me a bit.

Climate Change?  Don’t pay much attention as there is nothing I can do about it one way or another.  I do not believe that  our votes count so why bother anymore. 

Moon landing — I’ve seen some of the work on this.  I do find it curious that we never went back — don’t you?  Always found all those short white sleeved black tied men string in front of boxes with knobs rather odd. Not sure what to make of it.  

However, Vaccines and other medical atrocities are another thing altogether.  Both my in-law parents were Johns Hopkins trained Psychiatrist/Pedatricians.  They were students of John Money, the founding father of transgender surgery in the US.  It seems at the time of their higher education they had a strong desire to be leading edgy so they thought sexology might be a good field of study.  Much to their chagrin they realized their folly — albeit too late.  As a result of their error they rightly advised all of their children to not enter the medical profession.  I learned much from them about the industry.  They warned of the dangers of psychiatrists becoming little more than pharmaceutical vending machines decades ago.  There were other warnings on other disciplines as well. 

The David Reimer Case was named for them — ‘John and Joan’.  This particular episode in their lives was kept secret from the family until the publication of John Colapinto’s As Nature Made Him where their participation in this ‘crime against humanity’  was made public.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41379.As_Nature_Made_Him

Please study the deleterious work of John Money and the results of his madness manifesting in the David Reimer case.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Money

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer

My intuition....something is definitely not right within the medical profession as a whole.

https://kinseyinstitute.org/about/profiles/john-money.php

I contributed to a thread on the subject of transgenders about a week ago as I felt I had some positive knowledge on the subject.  It was closed and deleted. 

Lessons for us all.....:yes:

Edited by Festina

34 minutes ago, Festina said:

I contributed to a thread on the subject of transgenders about a week ago as I felt I had some positive knowledge on the subject.  It was closed and deleted. 

Lessons for us all.....

One lesson might be to read the forum rules before posting, especially on controversial subjects.  Another lesson might be to understand that 'free speech' does not apply to this or any other public forum where allowed or disallowed content is regulated by The Administrator of the website  and to understand that Moderators have authority to close, delete, or purge threads or posts at any time without any notice whatsoever.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, joc said:

One lesson might be to read the forum rules before posting, especially on controversial subjects.  Another lesson might be to understand that 'free speech' does not apply to this or any other public forum where allowed or disallowed content is regulated by The Administrator of the website  and to understand that Moderators have authority to close, delete, or purge threads or posts at any time without any notice whatsoever.

I know..and I’m fine with that. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Festina said:

Flat earth? I’m not a flat earther.  I have read some of their theses as I’m curious how people come to such conclusions.  

GMO?  Not hysterical about it but it does concern me a bit.

Climate Change?  Don’t pay much attention as there is nothing I can do about it one way or another.  I do not believe that  our votes count so why bother anymore. 

Moon landing — I’ve seen some of the work on this.  I do find it curious that we never went back — don’t you?  Always found all those short white sleeved black tied men string in front of boxes with knobs rather odd. Not sure what to make of it.  

However, Vaccines and other medical atrocities are another thing altogether.  Both my in-law parents were Johns Hopkins trained Psychiatrist/Pedatricians.  They were students of John Money, the founding father of transgender surgery in the US.  It seems at the time of their higher education they had a strong desire to be leading edgy so they thought sexology might be a good field of study.  Much to their chagrin they realized their folly — albeit too late.  As a result of their error they rightly advised all of their children to not enter the medical profession.  I learned much from them about the industry.  They warned of the dangers of psychiatrists becoming little more than pharmaceutical vending machines decades ago.  There were other warnings on other disciplines as well. 

The David Reimer Case was named for them — ‘John and Joan’.  This particular episode in their lives was kept secret from the family until the publication of John Colapinto’s As Nature Made Him where their participation in this ‘crime against humanity’  was made public.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41379.As_Nature_Made_Him

Please study the deleterious work of John Money and the results of his madness manifesting in the David Reimer case.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Money

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer

My intuition....something is definitely not right within the medical profession as a whole.

https://kinseyinstitute.org/about/profiles/john-money.php

Lessons for us all.....:yes:

The reason we never went back to the Moon is that we made it there and back several times without a death. That ended the Moon missions on a high note. According to notes from meetings with president Kennedy he was going to stop the Moon missions because he was doing it for political capital but he won a number of major things with the Soviets. Then he was assassinated 6 weeks after that meeting and Johnson who was a space nut kept the program alive.

You ask " I’m curious how people come to such conclusions". They trust their intuition without question. Intuition is fallible and needs to be checked.

The material you posted shows a case of things going bad but testing reveals that it is bad. You can't rely on single cases in medicine. That is one of the important things learned. It used to be case studies. That is no longer used. Intuition was to test on only a few people and to make a generalization from that. The medical profession has moved towards evidence based applications of medicine. That has been halted in recent years with the introduction of ideas such as acupuncture and aromatherapy and other methods that are not backed up by evidence. Practitioners of these methods deal with lethargy and headaches and simple nothing symptons. They can't deal with cancer and diabetes and all of the rest that medicine deals with. Yet, they point out that those doing actual good can fail.

31 minutes ago, joc said:

OMT, I did not post the thread I just participated.