Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Capitalism and ESP

stereologist

On 3/7/2020 at 6:13 AM, stereologist said:

Back in 1989 Sony corporation decided that they would create products that involved psychic abilities. They planned to make money off of ESP abilities without being a scammer like so many frauds believers adore.

They called this part of Sony corporation the "Institute of Wisdom". They hired all sorts of people and started to test them to determine how to harness this ability. This appears to be the first and last time a mainstream company dumped loads of cash into such a venture.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/sony-senses-a-market-in-esp-1577154.html

But after 7 years the venture was closed. Apparently, it didn't work out well. Read the following link and it shows that no tech was ever developed.

https://parasearcher.blogspot.com/2012/02/closing-dream-factory-sony-proves-that.html

This initial story is quite fascinating.  Japan has a fascinating history of picking up these odd ideas and running with them.  Remember how after most nations had their physicists dismiss Mormon claims of Cold Fusion as a myth, the Japanese gathered up their courage and bought into the Pons Fleischman research.  Since then they seem to have made some progress link, but one wonders if the Utah Uni research played any part in it.  I am now eager to go look for more Sony Psi research info.  So thx for the heads up.  Even if it is a dead end, it is likely to be an interesting rabbit-hole, nonetheless.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

This initial story is quite fascinating.  Japan has a fascinating history of picking up these odd ideas and running with them.  Remember how after most nations had their physicists dismiss Mormon claims of Cold Fusion as a myth, the Japanese gathered up their courage and bought into the Pons Fleischman research.  Since then they seem to have made some progress link, but one wonders if the Utah Uni research played any part in it.  I am now eager to go look for more Sony Psi research info.  So thx for the heads up.  Even if it is a dead end, it is likely to be an interesting rabbit-hole, nonetheless.

Another curious thing about the Japanese and ESP, etc.  is  how they used Kamakazi Pilots in WWII.  How do you brain wash a pilot enough to keep the pilot training intact while at the same time program them to WANT to die for the Emperor?  I think that whatever they were doing with ESP was an attempt at something along those same Kamakazi lines...but intended toward getting the public to purchase THEIR products.   Maybe they didn't understand that the market place will gravitate toward the best, most affordable products...but I think they were going with how to affect advertizing.

Reminds me of a grocery store I know of that used to play very subliminal chicken clucking noises ever so often over the intercom.  ^_^

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joc said:

Another curious thing about the Japanese and ESP, etc.  is  how they used Kamakazi Pilots in WWII.  How do you brain wash a pilot enough to keep the pilot training intact while at the same time program them to WANT to die for the Emperor?  I think that whatever they were doing with ESP was an attempt at something along those same Kamakazi lines...but intended toward getting the public to purchase THEIR products.   Maybe they didn't understand that the market place will gravitate toward the best, most affordable products...but I think they were going with how to affect advertizing.

Reminds me of a grocery store I know of that used to play very subliminal chicken clucking noises ever so often over the intercom.  ^_^

LOL, so are you suggesting that Sony was going to use their ESPers to conduct a massive psionic advertising campaign?  Would we even know if it had been successful or not?  Good point btw re: Kamikaze pilots.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

LOL, so are you suggesting that Sony was going to use their ESPers to conduct a massive psionic advertising campaign?  Would we even know if it had been successful or not?  Good point btw re: Kamikaze pilots.

Maybe...and maybe it worked:

P.M. BRIEFING : Sony Reports Surprise Profits

NOV. 21, 1989

12 AM

FROM TIMES WIRE SERVICES

TOKYO —  

Sony, the Japanese electronics maker that owns CBS Records and Columbia Pictures, defied analysts’ expectations today and reported higher six-month results.

Earnings of the whole Sony group of companies in the six months to Sept. 30 rose 68.1% to $340 million from $202 million in the same period a year ago.

Interim net profit of the parent company gained 40.4% to $188 million from $134 million.

12 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Lots of places worked on the cold fusion issue. The testing has never really ended. What is clear is that cold fusion as was described by Pons and Fleischmann did not happen. The radiation would have been detected and could have been lethal.

There is a possibility that something unusual does happen, but if that is true it is difficult to replicate and has often proclaimed due to false positives.

As we see with the Sony work there was investigation but nothing was ever made. There really wasn't any means of creating something tangible from the things they tested.

18 minutes ago, stereologist said:

As we see with the Sony work there was investigation but nothing was ever made. There really wasn't any means of creating something tangible from the things they tested.

Or perhaps human ESPer skill IS the technology, and SONY has been using their psionic powers to manipulate the market?  After all, what technology would enhance ESP?  An orgone accumulator?  A helmet with strategically placed magnets and crystals?  A binaural beats mix tape?  A special blend of herbal tea?  Perhaps psychotropic drugs would do the trick?  For my part I think my 3 Wolf Moon Teeshirt has helped me fulfill my psionic potential more than anything else.

Edited by Alchopwn

1 minute ago, Alchopwn said:

Or perhaps human ESPer skill IS the technology, and SONY has been using their psionic powers to manipulate the market?  After all, what technology would enhance ESP?  An orgone accumulator?  A helmet with strategically placed magnets and crystals?  A binaural beats mix tape?  A special blend of herbal tea?  Perhaps psychotropic drugs would do the trick?  For my part I think a good dose of laughter improves my psionic potential 1500%

There was a radio show called "The Gift" that had a person with the gift to influence people. They used him to sell cereal and to sway a political convention.

Let's suppose that they were able to have a human or humans influence other people using some version of ESP. Then they did fail to create a consumer product based on ESP.

Love this: "For my part I think a good dose of laughter improves my psionic potential 1500%"

1 minute ago, stereologist said:

There was a radio show called "The Gift" that had a person with the gift to influence people. They used him to sell cereal and to sway a political convention.

Let's suppose that they were able to have a human or humans influence other people using some version of ESP. Then they did fail to create a consumer product based on ESP.

Love this: "For my part I think a good dose of laughter improves my psionic potential 1500%"

Yes, I edited the last bit, it just wasn't funny enough.  I think the upgraded line is infinitely better.

• Like 1

Yes, I edited the last bit, it just wasn't funny enough.  I think the upgraded line is infinitely better.

I liked it because it did put a smile on my face

:tu:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Have you ever wondered why Mick Jagger and his god-awful band were so popular?  Subliminal programming.  Play their songs on the radio with subliminal messages that say "Buy the album, it is the greatest.  No one is better than the Rolling Stones".  Obviously it is easy to manipulate people in to doing things that aren't in their best interest.

:lol:

On 3/10/2020 at 1:52 AM, Desertrat56 said:

Have you ever wondered why Mick Jagger and his god-awful band were so popular?  Subliminal programming.  Play their songs on the radio with subliminal messages that say "Buy the album, it is the greatest.  No one is better than the Rolling Stones".  Obviously it is easy to manipulate people in to doing things that aren't in their best interest.

:lol:

Except that subliminal advertising doesn't work according to most scientific sources, unless you want to transfer a negative message like "fear this".  Personally the fogeys of the Rolling Stones were old men to me even when I was a teenager, but I'm utterly ambivalent to their work; some of it is good and some of it isn't. You sure as hell don't need subliminal ads to make people do things that aren't in their best interests... 

On 3/8/2020 at 8:25 PM, XenoFish said:

It's not psychic, it's psychological.

Funny you should mention those two words, various Academic Psychology has been trying to appropriate the term psychic.  It earns some funny looks from students when lecturers use it however, as when you say " they were in psychic distress" half the kids immediately think "FFS! Srsly? Mind Flayer attack?"

• Haha 1

Funny you should mention those two words, various Academic Psychology has been trying to appropriate the term psychic.  It earns some funny looks from students when lecturers use it however, as when you say " they were in psychic distress" half the kids immediately think "FFS! Srsly? Mind Flayer attack?"

One of the definitions for psychic has to do with the mind. However I do get the "tha hell?" that it would evoke.

• Like 2