Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
v03qxz

Ethereal vs Astral vs Celestial

Recommended Posts

v03qxz

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/celestial

Are they the same thing? The dictionary says they are synonyms (have the same meaning).

I've read angels described as ethereal beings. I've read angels described as celestial beings.

I've heard people have etheric and astral bodies. What's the difference there? Is the etheric and astral body the same thing? If they are any different, how so?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Not A Rockstar

They, like most words, have a few definitions. One of those is very similar so they can be said to be synonyms. If you look them up and read it all for each word, you will see where they are they same, and differ in secondary usages. 

"Etheric" is a word more popularized in Theosophy. "Astral" is a newer word for possibly the same thing, IF one sees the astral body in experiences such as astral projection or perhaps in shamanic journeying as being the soul, or spirit of a person doing this. Really, without getting religious, they can be said to be synonyms for each other as well and generally, vaguely referring to a non-physical aspect of the human self.

Ideas do not change as much as we suppose they do, but the words used sometimes do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
6 hours ago, v03qxz said:

I've read angels described as ethereal beings. I've read angels described as celestial beings

They are also fantasy, make believe and look pretty on top of a christmas tree.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
v03qxz
13 hours ago, freetoroam said:

They are also fantasy, make believe

You don't know that for sure, that's why you had to say that.

No one calls Mickie Mouse fantasy, because it is obvious it is.

On the other hand, atheists have to keep repeating certain things don't exist. I guess it helps them sleep better at night.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
2 hours ago, v03qxz said:

You don't know that for sure, that's why you had to say that.

No one calls Mickie Mouse fantasy, because it is obvious it is.

On the other hand, atheists have to keep repeating certain things don't exist. I guess it helps them sleep better at night.

I am not religious, I only say they do not exist to people saying they do.

Sure they exist, in the believers head. But if that helps you sleep at night, then some good has come out of that belief.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Festina
Posted (edited)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Festina

One more....

https://blavatskytheosophy.com/when-we-die/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
3 hours ago, Festina said:

“The end of birth is death; the end of death is birth.”

Totally False.  It's a False Premise!  The end of birth is Life.   The end of Life is Death.  The end of Death isn't.  Death is the end.  Life is what is important...the continuance of Life...that is why procreation exists...and why insects ...at the bottom of the food chain....have so many offspring...because it increases the odds of surviving the feeding frenzies of the rest of the species  The individual life is just that...individual.  And then death.  That's it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Festina
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, joc said:

“The end of birth is death; the end of death is birth.”

Totally False.  It's a False Premise!  The end of birth is Life.   The end of Life is Death.  The end of Death isn't.  Death is the end.  Life is what is important...the continuance of Life...that is why procreation exists...and why insects ...at the bottom of the food chain....have so many offspring...because it increases the odds of surviving the feeding frenzies of the rest of the species  The individual life is just that...individual.  And then death.  That's it. 

I was replying to the original posters request, but thank you for reading. 

And what if life is death and death is life?

Suppose “Death”, freedom [free spirit]  from the physical form in the discarnate state is a positive state of Being, and life, spirit trapped [prisoner of passions and controllable by other physical forms like governments and religions]  is a negative state of being?  Have you ever considered this possibility? 

Hence Euripides quote....

Who knows but life be that which men call death, and death what men call life? 

~ Euripides

https://www.azquotes.com/quote/564865

but you might find this interesting...a big influence on my journey ..

https://blavatskytheosophy.com/the-true-nature-of-jehovah/

 

71477834-A399-43AE-A757-556BFAE96AF6.jpeg

Edited by Festina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Festina
1 hour ago, Festina said:

I was replying to the original posters request, but thank you for reading. 

And what if life is death and death is life?

Suppose “Death”, freedom [free spirit]  from the physical form in the discarnate state is a positive state of Being, and life, spirit trapped [prisoner of passions and controllable by other physical forms like governments and religions]  is a negative state of being?  Have you ever considered this possibility? 

Hence Euripides quote....

Who knows but life be that which men call death, and death what men call life? 

~ Euripides

https://www.azquotes.com/quote/564865

but you might find this interesting...a big influence on my journey ..

https://blavatskytheosophy.com/the-true-nature-of-jehovah/

 

71477834-A399-43AE-A757-556BFAE96AF6.jpeg

“All hail the God of MONEY”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Festina
56 minutes ago, Festina said:

“All hail the God of MONEY”.

...and then there are those still Denying its existence under the banners of atheism and agnosticism — worshipping the material and it’s machinations —  and yet afraid to as much as criticize the broad essence of this dark force whose negative influence in plain sight encapsulates the planet.  

SMH. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alchopwn
Posted (edited)
On 3/8/2020 at 6:45 PM, v03qxz said:

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/celestial

Are they the same thing? The dictionary says they are synonyms (have the same meaning).

I've read angels described as ethereal beings. I've read angels described as celestial beings.

I've heard people have etheric and astral bodies. What's the difference there? Is the etheric and astral body the same thing? If they are any different, how so?

For those with an interest in the folklore:

The etheric field is part of the theory of late Theosophy. It is derived from the now discredited idea of the Luminiferous Ether that substituted for what lay between stars prior to the present understanding of the vacuum of space, but is perhaps making a small come-back thanks to theories involving quantum flux.  The etheric part of the body is said to be the lower level of the human aura that connects the body to the spiritual realm.  Of course there is more to it: link.  In terms of angels being ethereal beings, it means that are seen as delicate and not of this world, and the term is sometimes applied to people who cultivate the "waif" look.  It seems to especially apply to petite skinny women with long thin necks and a deficit of pulchritude.  There is also allegedly a non-physical Etheric Plane that both humans and spirits interact with that is affected by certain energy emanations of human beings.

As to the meaning of astral, this generally relates to matters of non-physical realms of existence that psychic individuals may sometimes interact with.  Much like the Etheric plane, the Astral has a somewhat shamanic connotation of relying on trance to enter.  The human body allegedly develops a glowing astral counterpart with a silver cord according to folklore, and the cord acts as a security blanket to allow easy return to one's body.  The Astral Plane is allegedly a place of the celestial spheres that is inhabited by angels and spirits and other powerful entities.  Allegedly the astral plane is a place of considerably more danger than the etheric plane, and it is often entered shortly after the appearance of a starry gate or a "rush of stars" around one's person while in trance.

As to the term celestial, that merely refers to any creature of the sky.  It can literally be said that birds are therefore celestial beings, and indeed, in much of the world's folklore birds are seen as messengers of the gods.  Reference to this can be found in Shinto, and in Roman Augury amongst other places.  So when we say that angels are celestial beings, it is merely a reference to the fact that folklore depicts heaven as in the sky and angels as having access to heaven via their wings, though indeed, angels are also supposed to inhabit the Astral plane.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Alchopwn
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Festina said:

...and then there are those still Denying its existence under the banners of atheism and agnosticism — worshipping the material and it’s machinations —  and yet afraid to as much as criticize the broad essence of this dark force whose negative influence in plain sight encapsulates the planet.  SMH. 

Most people are able to separate economic forces from spiritual ones Festina.  In terms of worshipping things, I think you will find that atheists and agnostics do not worship anything, but Christians are always passing around the plate for donations, and the widow's mite is a very toxic story.  If you think that atheists are not involved in the pursuit of economic justice, it may be because they don't want to be labelled as Communists for not believing in god AND believing in economic justice.  As communism did more to discredit atheism than most things, many left wing atheists are a bit tight lipped about this aspect of their beliefs, regardless of the fact that they themselves personally have never killed anybody in the name of these causes.  On the other hand, it might be argues that as communism fought against the economic status quo, that prior to it becoming an extension of Russian imperialism, it was more of a force for economic justice than Christianity had been for tens of centuries.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
11 hours ago, Festina said:

“All hail the God of MONEY”.

Do you have any money?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
22 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

For those with an interest in the folklore:

The etheric field is part of the theory of late Theosophy. It is derived from the now discredited idea of the Luminiferous Ether that substituted for what lay between stars prior to the present understanding of the vacuum of space, but is perhaps making a small come-back thanks to theories involving quantum flux.  The etheric part of the body is said to be the lower level of the human aura that connects the body to the spiritual realm.  Of course there is more to it: link.  In terms of angels being ethereal beings, it means that are seen as delicate and not of this world, and the term is sometimes applied to people who cultivate the "waif" look.  It seems to especially apply to petite skinny women with long thin necks and a deficit of pulchritude.  There is also allegedly a non-physical Etheric Plane that both humans and spirits interact with that is affected by certain energy emanations of human beings.

As to the meaning of astral, this generally relates to matters of non-physical realms of existence that psychic individuals may sometimes interact with.  Much like the Etheric plane, the Astral has a somewhat shamanic connotation of relying on trance to enter.  The human body allegedly develops a glowing astral counterpart with a silver cord according to folklore, and the cord acts as a security blanket to allow easy return to one's body.  The Astral Plane is allegedly a place of the celestial spheres that is inhabited by angels and spirits and other powerful entities.  Allegedly the astral plane is a place of considerably more danger than the etheric plane, and it is often entered shortly after the appearance of a starry gate or a "rush of stars" around one's person while in trance.

As to the term celestial, that merely refers to any creature of the sky.  It can literally be said that birds are therefore celestial beings, and indeed, in much of the world's folklore birds are seen as messengers of the gods.  Reference to this can be found in Shinto, and in Roman Augury amongst other places.  So when we say that angels are celestial beings, it is merely a reference to the fact that folklore depicts heaven as in the sky and angels as having access to heaven via their wings, though indeed, angels are also supposed to inhabit the Astral plane.

good description

IMO the y are all the same thing, but perceived, and thus named, differently by people with different worldviews, perspectives,  beliefs etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
22 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Most people are able to separate economic forces from spiritual ones Festina.  In terms of worshipping things, I think you will find that atheists and agnostics do not worship anything, but Christians are always passing around the plate for donations, and the widow's mite is a very toxic story.  If you think that atheists are not involved in the pursuit of economic justice, it may be because they don't want to be labelled as Communists for not believing in god AND believing in economic justice.  As communism did more to discredit atheism than most things, many left wing atheists are a bit tight lipped about this aspect of their beliefs, regardless of the fact that they themselves personally have never killed anybody in the name of these causes.  On the other hand, it might be argues that as communism fought against the economic status quo, that prior to it becoming an extension of Russian imperialism, it was more of a force for economic justice than Christianity had been for tens of centuries.

There is a divide between materialism and spiritualism  

A human can find a workable balance along a reasonable spectrum in the middle, but whereas, for most of human history,   it was  the spiritual which was the predominant and "fanatical"power, today it is materialism  

imo  while socialism might have been a powerful positive  force for  humanity and still  can be  , communism never was, in that, in communism the state was supreme over the individual. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alchopwn
On 3/12/2020 at 3:48 PM, Mr Walker said:

There is a divide between materialism and spiritualism  A human can find a workable balance along a reasonable spectrum in the middle, but whereas, for most of human history,   it was  the spiritual which was the predominant and "fanatical"power, today it is materialism  imo  while socialism might have been a powerful positive  force for  humanity and still  can be, communism never was, in that, in communism the state was supreme over the individual. 

While I don't see materialism as a "fanatical power" (for example, you seldom see individuals committing terrorism over purely material concerns, but religious terrorism is quite common by comparison), in other ways I don't find myself disagreeing with you on this Mr. Walker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
Posted (edited)
On 3/14/2020 at 10:58 PM, Alchopwn said:

While I don't see materialism as a "fanatical power" (for example, you seldom see individuals committing terrorism over purely material concerns, but religious terrorism is quite common by comparison), in other ways I don't find myself disagreeing with you on this Mr. Walker.

 Most people live for material things today.

Primitive peoples  lived in a spirit  filled world, and even throughout most of history spirituality was more important than material things eg your eternal life was much more important than your material life  Today we live for material things and most have lost touch with their spiritual side 

Modern terrorism (and warfare)  can be religious based, but is often based on other geopolitical, economic, or ethnic divides. I used fanatical in inverted commas to illustrate the power/depth  of the driving force of human beings

Once it was faith.

Now it is materialism 

Edited by Mr Walker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
White Crane Feather

Human beings have a drive to label and categorize. I think In this instance it’s counter productive.  I experience the others places like layers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.