Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
littlestar

'The Gray'?

27 posts in this topic

littlestar

Two days ago was my last day of employment at a large supermarket where I worked as a cashier (my new job starts this upcoming week!). During my last few hours on the job, I saw a man who was gray.

He came through my line with some groceries and I noticed him as I was giving a receipt to the customer whose order I was finishing up--seeing him really struck me. His complexion was gray, and at first I thought maybe he was homeless or on hard times and the gray was an accumulation of dirt or soot or something like that on him. But as I said hello to him and started to bag his groceries, (trying not to stare at him because I didn't want to be rude) I found that it really was simply his complexion, as if his skin had once been a warm, light brown and had somehow grayed. He also had graying hair but the very top of it was a coppery red. He was silent during our interaction. 

When I was riding the bus home that night, I pulled out my phone and tried to look up what might cause someone's skin to turn gray. There are things like prolonged exposure to chemicals that do this, but all of the example images and people afflicted by that sort of thing had a strong blue tone to the gray of their skin, which wasn't what I saw.

Later, I mentioned it to my housemates in passing and my sibling looked at another one of our housemates with a knowing look. They explained that they were just talking a few days ago about something Eugene Lee Yang of the Youtube series 'The Try Guys' has experienced which his family calls 'The Gray'. They were saying that Eugene and many of his other family members experience a phenomenon where someone appears gray to them, and then within a matter of days that person passes away. I haven't found any other instances of people seeing others as gray on the internet thus far.

I'm not sure if it's something as simple as a sign of aging or something more than that. I don't recall having an experience like this before, but something about it struck me and I thought I'd ask for some opinions/thoughts! Thank you for reading this far and thank you in advance for any comments. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Desertrat56

Welcome to the forum.  There is really no way to tell what you saw unless you run in to that same man again or you knew his name and saw it in the obituaries.  If it never happens again I would just file it under 'strange' in your mind and not worry about it.

• Like 1

freetoroam

It is normally down to a medical condition. It could be a serious one.

a grayish tint is a characteristic of a chronic or late-stage disease, such as cancer.

https://www.healthline.com/health/gray-skin

A friend of mine has a serious kidney condition,  although this will not turn the skin grey, he is a heavy smoker and on all types of meds, there are times when his skin is grey.

• Like 5

Desertrat56
16 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Grayish skin is a result of a lack of oxygenated blood. It is an indication of one or more health problems, such as congestive heart failure, late stage terminal cancer, pneumonia, or renal failure (to name a few). Not all people with grayish skin have a blue tinge to them, nor are they all elderly.  As for the so-called Gray phenomenon, either your sibling is pulling your leg, or this  Eugene Lee Yang guy and his family are stupidly superstitious. No one dies as a result of seeing such a person. I've seen several, and I'm still here.

The story wasn't that someone seeing a grey person dies, but that when the family sees a person as grey, that grey person dies in a few days.  It is a story about omens for others, not self.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kittens Are Jerks
16 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

The story wasn't that someone seeing a grey person dies, but that when the family sees a person as grey, that grey person dies in a few days.  It is a story about omens for others, not self.

I misread. It was the 'omen of death' subtitle that skewed things for me.

Regardless, it's not a phenomenon. It's not an omen. It's life.

• Thanks 1

jmccr8

Many years ago I had a friend that spent a year between coronary care and intensive care because of an enlarged heart at the age of 16 and saw only family members during that time. His mom called one day and asked if I would like to come to see him and when I went to the hospital to see him his skin was grey and I knew that I would never see him again.

jmccr8

• Sad 5

papageorge1

Did you try to get a co-worker that saw him their impression?

littlestar

Thank you for all your responses!! And moreover, thank you for welcoming me to the forums!!!

It was very helpful to know that graying skin can be caused by other health problems. I unfortunately wasn't able to ask a coworker, although that would have been the smart thing to do, it was during a bit of a busy time and I didn't want to draw attention to him in a negative/rude way. 

Yes, I think it's very likely that this person was suffering from health problems! But as for my sibling and the story of Eugene, it is actually discussed in this Youtube video if anyone wants to check it out! 

Thank you guys again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

papageorge1
42 minutes ago, littlestar said:

But as for my sibling and the story of Eugene, it is actually discussed in this Youtube video if anyone wants to check it out! 

The video is over an hour long. Can you give us a quick synopsis to whet our appetites.

Kittens Are Jerks
32 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

I'm pretty sure the OP meant to say that the gray person was the one who died a short while after the witness saw him, and not that the witness, or person whom saw the Gray, who died.

Yes, I've already acknowledged that error.

I skimmed through the video and the 'phenomenon' is discussed for a few seconds at approximately 45:30. Turns out, the person who is supposedly going to die is not really gray, but appears gray to the supposedly psychic family members. That, apparently, is their indication that the person will soon be toast.

Kittens Are Jerks
1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

The video is over an hour long. Can you give us a quick synopsis to whet our appetites.

They share brief stories about sleep paralysis and hauntings. It's an extraordinarily boring discussion. 

• Thanks 2

openozy

Hey little star.apart from medical conditions I've noticed this grey complection on people that are on a low plane of existence,have spent a long time in prison or are living a very down and out lifestyle.It isn't just their aura but their whole being.I avoid these types as they will drag you down.

Jon the frog
5 hours ago, littlestar said:

Two days ago was my last day of employment at a large supermarket where I worked as a cashier (my new job starts this upcoming week!). During my last few hours on the job, I saw a man who was gray.

He came through my line with some groceries and I noticed him as I was giving a receipt to the customer whose order I was finishing up--seeing him really struck me. His complexion was gray, and at first I thought maybe he was homeless or on hard times and the gray was an accumulation of dirt or soot or something like that on him. But as I said hello to him and started to bag his groceries, (trying not to stare at him because I didn't want to be rude) I found that it really was simply his complexion, as if his skin had once been a warm, light brown and had somehow grayed. He also had graying hair but the very top of it was a coppery red. He was silent during our interaction. 

When I was riding the bus home that night, I pulled out my phone and tried to look up what might cause someone's skin to turn gray. There are things like prolonged exposure to chemicals that do this, but all of the example images and people afflicted by that sort of thing had a strong blue tone to the gray of their skin, which wasn't what I saw.

Later, I mentioned it to my housemates in passing and my sibling looked at another one of our housemates with a knowing look. They explained that they were just talking a few days ago about something Eugene Lee Yang of the Youtube series 'The Try Guys' has experienced which his family calls 'The Gray'. They were saying that Eugene and many of his other family members experience a phenomenon where someone appears gray to them, and then within a matter of days that person passes away. I haven't found any other instances of people seeing others as gray on the internet thus far.

I'm not sure if it's something as simple as a sign of aging or something more than that. I don't recall having an experience like this before, but something about it struck me and I thought I'd ask for some opinions/thoughts! Thank you for reading this far and thank you in advance for any comments. 

Don't know in which region did you see that but have you heard about the Blue Fugates, they are not gray but can look like it i think !

Image result for blue people of kentucky

• Like 2

papageorge1
44 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

They share brief stories about sleep paralysis and hauntings. It's an extraordinarily boring discussion. 

Did you watch it all? You may not be an unbiased observer in my book (especially on the sleep paralysis part). What about the grey people?

Kittens Are Jerks
26 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Did you watch it all? You may not be an unbiased observer in my book (especially on the sleep paralysis part). What about the grey people?

Not unbiased? And you are?

I mentioned the 'gray people' and where they're discussed in the video earlier in this discussion.

XenoFish
1 hour ago, openozy said:

Hey little star.apart from medical conditions I've noticed this grey complection on people that are on a low plane of existence,have spent a long time in prison or are living a very down and out lifestyle.It isn't just their aura but their whole being.I avoid these types as they will drag you down.

Those poor poor albinos.

• Sad 1

Imaginarynumber1

This just seems like a really poor way to get people to watch a stupid YouTube channel.

• Haha 1

openozy
1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Those poor poor albinos.

Don't feel sorry, they are just one shade lighter than gingers which I think you said you were,and I am too.We don't have souls,which shows on both of our posts sometimes :lol:

• Haha 1

Kenemet
8 hours ago, littlestar said:

Although there are a few cases of natural skin being this color, I would bet that the person is someone who is taking "ionic silver"... the conditions' called argyria https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/argyria-overview#1

Here's a moderate case of it.

Argyria.jpg

More examples:

Image result for argyria

LightAngel
8 hours ago, openozy said:

:lol:

You both have souls. :lol:

My natural hair color is golden blonde, but I love to play around with my hair, so I dye it different colors.

Right now, my hair is white again ( just look at my avatar) - but I will get my natural golden hair this summer because I'm tired of bleaching it!

Anyway.

Back to the topic.

People's skin can look a little grey before they die, but that's normal!

Hmm... why did I reply to this topic?! :rofl:

I guess it's because it's healthy to be a little silly sometimes. :lol:

openozy
11 hours ago, LightAngel said:

You both have souls. :lol:

I got the red heads don't have souls off a Southpark episode lol.

11 hours ago, LightAngel said:

My natural hair color is golden blonde

Yeah,my hair is that colour but my beard is more ginger.The grey skinned people I'm talking about is not the actual colour but how I see it,I can also see angry, bad people have a black look about them with yellow sparks flying out,these people are dangerous.

Kittens Are Jerks
21 minutes ago, openozy said:

Yeah,my hair is that colour but my beard is more ginger.The grey skinned people I'm talking about is not the actual colour but how I see it,I can also see angry, bad people have a black look about them with yellow sparks flying out,these people are dangerous.

Also a fire hazard by the sound of it.

openozy
4 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Also a fire hazard by the sound of it.

More like a warning signal to me.

Mr Walker
Posted (edited)

oh come on guys.   Seriously?  No one has suggested that  this was a classic zombie (not the ones from  computer games, but the caribbean/african variety) :) :)  

just out of interest. What did the contents of his trolley consist of ? 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Haha 1