Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

44 die from alcohol in Iran

OverSword

The death toll from alcohol poisoning in Iran rose to 44 Tuesday, state news agency IRNA reported, over misguided efforts to ward off the new coronavirus by drinking bootleg alcohol. The outbreak of the virus in the Islamic republic is one of the deadliest outside of China, where the disease originated.

Link

• Sad 4

So who are dying,  muslins or non muslims? 

Not that it really matters, either are idiots if they actually believed that.

More like a good excuse to do what is forbidden for some and for the non muslims, cheap bootleg booze.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

cheap bootleg booze.

Wood materials added to the mash or a galvanized still.  Either one will kill you

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

Wood materials added to the mash or a galvanized still.  Either one will kill you

It's why you should never buy moonshine. 

• Like 2

Just now, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

It's why you should never buy moonshine. 

There's nothing wrong with buying off a old school brewer who takes pride in his product. I knew moonshiners who put out a jar you couldn't put in the same room with a expensive Scottish whiskey. 

A bad smell gives it away when it's poisonous, and if they took that  pop skull past their noses, they were idiots.  

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Piney said:

There's nothing wrong with buying off a old school brewer who takes pride in his product. I knew moonshiners who put out a jar you couldn't put in the same room with a expensive Scottish whiskey. 

A bad smell gives it away when it's poisonous, and if they took that  pop skull past their noses, they were idiots. 

Yes the last idiot has not yet been born some people even drink industrial spirits or anything liquid even copier liquid. I have heard that in some cases you can get to drink cognac to save your eyesight. 

Edited by 'Walt' E. Kurtz

1 minute ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

some people even drink industrial spirits or anything liquid even copier liquid. 

Indians do,...On the Reserve they would drink rubbing alcohol and even cleaning fluids....

• Sad 1

Just now, Tuco's Gas said:

"Pop Skull"

One of the most accurate and colorful nicknames ever. I haven't heard it since watching Ken Burns' Civil War doc. Thanks.

Learned that term working with Kentucky and West Virginia loggers. One of those Kentucky loggers taught me how to brew a fine batch and even though I wasn't a drinker I built a nice copper mini still and kept it in whichever assigned line shack I was posted while outriding on the Northern Plains.......The Amish cowboys loved me. :lol:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

You were prolly better off not drinking it. LOL 

180% right out of the drip but I also cut the "heads and tails" off on top of the Angels and Devils cut.  I'd cut it with water to about half the alcohol level. I also only used good meal corn and "oaked" (artificially aged) it. I'm about quality. 

• Like 2

making bootleg alcohol is a national thing in russia,  when i visited i've seen those machines, they looked like a chemical labs, they use pretty much anything to make alcohol, any crop,  definitely no galvanized steel, only copper and glass.  i tried it from maybe a dozen of different makers, every single samogon, as they call it, tasted different, but all were pretty strong. i have not heard of anyone dying from drinking that stuff,  they do die when they buy fake alcohol in stores, some of that stuff uses methanol,  there is so much fake, dangerous stuff sold, you are a lot better off drinking that samogon

• Like 3

6 hours ago, OverSword said:

sad they don't believe in drinking  alcohol,  but they to can be afraid of dying from this horrible virus  

• Thanks 1