Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Two rare white giraffes killed by poachers

Eldorado

"Two extremely rare white giraffes have been killed by poachers in north-eastern Kenya, conservationists say.

"Rangers had found the carcasses of the female and her calf in a village in north-eastern Kenya's Garissa County.

"A third white giraffe is still alive. It is thought to be the only remaining one in the world, the conservationists added.

"Their white appearance is due to a rare condition called leucism, which causes skin cells to have no pigmentation."

Full story at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-51816083

• Sad 8

Human nature strikes again.  Sometimes we kill for absolutely no reason but most of the time we do it out of fear or greed.  This would seem to be simple, barbaric cruelty.  I hope they find them and they are jailed for many years.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Why? Why? Why?  So sad.  As far as I am aware, giraffes do not compete with humans on any great level for resources, crops etc.  Mindless vandalism of the worst kind.

• Like 5

My guess is that the pricks who shot them thought the hide would be worth allot.     I hope they find the people who did this.   If they brought the carcasses to a village, surely people seen them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rare and unique animals should be afforded maximum protection. The conservancy should have been fenced, or at the very least, guarded. As much as anyone hates to restrict the animals' freedom, they should have known the giraffes would have been targets after all the attention they got worldwide. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"Two extremely rare white giraffes have been killed by poachers in north-eastern Kenya, conservationists say.

"Rangers had found the carcasses of the female and her calf in a village in north-eastern Kenya's Garissa County.

"A third white giraffe is still alive. It is thought to be the only remaining one in the world, the conservationists added.

"Their white appearance is due to a rare condition called leucism, which causes skin cells to have no pigmentation."

Full story at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-51816083

Giraffe tourism hunting is legal in Kenya in designated areas.

They arent a rare species or under threat. The heads and skins from Albino ones are a value prize for any hunter to have. They arent `poachers` that is media sensationalism. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Giraffe tourism hunting is legal in Kenya in designated areas.

They arent a rare species or under threat. The heads and skins from Albino ones are a value prize for any hunter to have. They arent `poachers` that is media sensationalism. 

"While many have been quick to label the giraffe as albino, it likely suffers from a genetic condition called leucism, which inhibits skin cells from producing pigment but allows other organs, like eyes, to be dark colored. Albinism, a congenital condition, inhibits the body from producing pigment in all organs, and animals with this condition often have pink eyes."

Nat Geo: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/09/white-giraffes-kenya-video-spd/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

"While many have been quick to label the giraffe as albino, it likely suffers from a genetic condition called leucism, which inhibits skin cells from producing pigment but allows other organs, like eyes, to be dark colored. Albinism, a congenital condition, inhibits the body from producing pigment in all organs, and animals with this condition often have pink eyes."

Nat Geo: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/09/white-giraffes-kenya-video-spd/

Nothing wrong with hunting if its sustainable, quick and painless, and good for keeping a population in check.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Nothing wrong with hunting if its sustainable, quick and painless, and good for keeping a population in check.

While I support hunting, I do have to say that it is usually not "painless".  Many times you have to follow the trail and find where the animal finally died.   

On 3/11/2020 at 3:46 PM, RabidMongoose said:

Makes sense. Humans are the species with the most out of control population growth. 

Are you volunteering? 

• Thanks 2

How sad.  People do these things just for attention and to cause pain to those who love these rare animals.  I hope they catch them. But, I don't think that will ever happen.

• Like 2

Yeah. Probably killed for the skin. Probably sold for a ton. So some rich idiot can feel like he's special.

18 hours ago, cathya said:

How sad.  People do these things just for attention and to cause pain to those who love these rare animals.  I hope they catch them. But, I don't think that will ever happen.

I don't think that is even on the list of why they do it.  

On 3/11/2020 at 10:46 AM, RabidMongoose said:

Even if hunting is not "painless" it is still legal. I understand that people feel sympathy for animals, but you are 100% right on this one. It amazes me how "butt hurt" people get over this subject & never consider where the food on their plate comes from. Even vegans "kill" plant life to eat. LOL

12 minutes ago, jowasmus said:

Even if hunting is not "painless" it is still legal.

This is a case of poaching, hardly hunting... Just like it was not  illegal to lynch Negro folks when they used to... 

[00.03:19]

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two White Giraffes? Sounds like an Amazon original.

On 3/16/2020 at 9:25 AM, third_eye said:

This is a case of poaching, hardly hunting... Just like it was not  illegal to lynch Negro folks when they used to... 

My understanding is that the area was open & hunting is legal. If that's the case, it's not poaching. You can bring lynching in all you want, but it's not the same. Animals are not people & don't have the same rights. Until they do, your argument is moot unless I am wrong about hunting being legal in that area.

• Haha 2

On 3/16/2020 at 9:25 AM, third_eye said:

This is a case of poaching, hardly hunting

Okay, I stand corrected. I see that it is legal to hunt animals that are not an endangered species. I also see that there may be 2 subspecies of giraffe that are on the endangered list. If that's the case, I'm wrong & I apologize. If that's the case, this is poaching & not hunting & there is a drastic difference.

I also want to say that I believe in hunting as a means to control & help the population, as well as a source of food, but I do have an issue with those being cruel or just looking for trophies while the meat rots or quick money for rare fur or whatever else they can sell.

Edited by jowasmus
Wanted to say more

6 minutes ago, jowasmus said:

I also want to say that I believe in hunting as a means to control & help the population, as well as a source of food, but I do have an issue with those being cruel or just looking for trophies while the meat rots or quick money for rare fur or whatever else they can sell.

So we can safely agree that this particular case is not only illegal but also cruel... 

~

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, third_eye said:

So we can safely agree that this particular case is not only illegal but also cruel... 

Yes we can.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Why we can’t have nice things

On 3/12/2020 at 2:46 AM, Electric Scooter said:

True, I've been a hunter of vermin for 45 years up until this year but these are white giraffes not f'n rabbits.

This topic is three years old. There doesn't seem to be any reason for it to be resurrected so I am going to close it.

• The topic was locked