Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gender-neutral passports legal case tossed

Eldorado

2 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

I couldn't read all of those quotes, @hetrodoxly, as some of them block adblockers. However, in no case had anyone been prosecuted for 'misgendering' ? Apart from anything else, no law exists on the statute books against it. 

I didn't say prosecuted i said arrested, you should read the post before making wild accusations.  

8 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

I didn't say prosecuted i said arrested, you should read the post before making wild accusations.  

Sorry, I mis-spoke. I meant arrested. 

Nobody has been arrested in the UK for 'misgendering' because there is no such offence on the books. The end. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Nobody has been arrested in the UK for 'misgendering' because there is no such offence on the books. The end. 

They have been arrested, the police considered it a hate crime, it had to go to court, the thread was on here 'Mr  Miller' won his case in court with the judge stating it isn't a crime though some forces are still classing it as an hate crime it comes from the 'collage of police' who say they're still going to see it as a hate crime, note* all through this thread i've said 'it shouldn't be a crime' not it is a crime.

• Like 1

This video will show you where we're at with this, give me your opinion, if you don't watch it all do the first couple of minutes.

7 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

I couldn't read all of those quotes, @hetrodoxly, as some of them block adblockers. However, in no case had anyone been prosecuted for 'misgendering' ? Apart from anything else, no law exists on the statute books against it. 

I read a couple of them.  I guess there may be no actual legal statute about it but essentially, there is.  I can't believe how far gone freedom has become in the UK.  Arresting a citizen because they use offensive speech?  Make no mistake, it won't stop there.  It never has.  I feel like our modern world has no mature adults left in it.  It has become a massive daycare with tantrum throwing martyrs that the government supports.  Take a moment and imagine the future if this continues.  I guarantee you that a day will come with these victim types where people will be arrested for LOOKING at them "offensively" or laughing at them.

I refuse to live like that here.  The effect of those kinds of rules in the U.S. would be to cause the very kind of misbehavior you were trying to punish into obedience.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, and then said:

I read a couple of them.  I guess there may be no actual legal statute about it but essentially, there is.  I can't believe how far gone freedom has become in the UK.  Arresting a citizen because they use offensive speech?  Make no mistake, it won't stop there.  It never has.  I feel like our modern world has no mature adults left in it.  It has become a massive daycare with tantrum throwing martyrs that the government supports.  Take a moment and imagine the future if this continues.  I guarantee you that a day will come with these victim types where people will be arrested for LOOKING at them "offensively" or laughing at them.

I refuse to live like that here.  The effect of those kinds of rules in the U.S. would be to cause the very kind of misbehavior you were trying to punish into obedience.

I think it's happening in America as well, i was reading one case where a father will be prosecuted if he calls his 'daughter' daughter. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Do take the time to listen to the video, it's hard to explain, if you call someone by the gender of their birth but they what to be called by a different gender you can have an hate crime registered against you, it stays on your file and can be seen by prospective employers, worse of all they don't need any evidence, just the word of the person making the accusation.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

Do take the time to listen to the video, it's hard to explain, if you call someone by the gender of their birth but they what to be called by a different gender you can have an hate crime registered against you, it stays on your file and can be seen by prospective employers, worse of all they don't need any evidence, just the word of the person making the accusation.

Hmm.. I take your point @hetrodoxly. So misgendering is not a statutory crime, but they can get you through the back door of "hate speech" ? 

This whole "hate speech" thing is a massive threat to civil liberties and free speech in the UK. 

The left-wing and Labour in the UK approve of the legislation, because it finally gives them communist-dictatorship-like powers to silence dissent and to truly control the populace. 

The Conservatives, in contrast, approve of it because it finally gives them dictatorship-like powers to silence dissent and to truly control the populace. 

Oh.. wait.... ummm.... 

3 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmm.. I take your point @hetrodoxly. So misgendering is not a statutory crime, but they can get you through the back door of "hate speech" ? 

Pretty sure most of the cases peanut is on about were actually arrested for malicious communications, not hate speech. 

1 hour ago, Setton said:

Pretty sure most of the cases peanut is on about were actually arrested for malicious communications, not hate speech. 

Oooh right. Gosh.. the Malicious Communications act 1988 ? How did I not notice THAT little gem going through Parliament ? 

"... any [F2article or electronic communication] which is, in whole or part, of an indecent or grossly offensive nature,"

That seems AWFULLY subjective ? If I send an email to a devout Muslim, challenging the existence of Mohammed, couldn't he claim to be Grossly Offended ? 

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/27/section/1

Curiously, it does not cover Scotland or Northern Ireland. Perhaps they have their own laws covering this issue ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Oooh right. Gosh.. the Malicious Communications act 1988 ? How did I not notice THAT little gem going through Parliament ? 

"... any [F2article or electronic communication] which is, in whole or part, of an indecent or grossly offensive nature,"

That seems AWFULLY subjective ? If I send an email to a devout Muslim, challenging the existence of Mohammed, couldn't he claim to be Grossly Offended ? 

Curiously, it does not cover Scotland or Northern Ireland. Perhaps they have their own laws covering this issue ? 

"indecent or grossly offensive" is defined elsewhere and appears in several laws. 

A hate incident becomes a hate crime if the incident breaks a law. So, no, your example is not analogous to harassing a trans person online. 

If you mounted a deliberate sustained harassment campaign targeting an individual, you could be arrested for malicious communications. If that campaign focuses on or is motivated by the victim's religion (or any other protected characteristic) then it would also be recorded as a hate crime. 

5 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

The bizarre stories of censorship and bullying by trans activists frequently made baffling reading. But the spectacle of Miranda Yardley, a self-identified transsexual, ending up in the dock for apparent ‘transphobia’ (all at the behest of a non-trans person) really takes the biscuit. An author would struggle to pitch such an incredible scenario at a publisher but, to quote Mark Twain, truth is stranger than fiction. Our post-truth world is off the scale.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/a-collapsed-case-shows-the-perils-of-policing-transphobia-

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

The bizarre stories of censorship and bullying by trans activists frequently made baffling reading. But the spectacle of Miranda Yardley, a self-identified transsexual, ending up in the dock for apparent ‘transphobia’ (all at the behest of a non-trans person) really takes the biscuit. An author would struggle to pitch such an incredible scenario at a publisher but, to quote Mark Twain, truth is stranger than fiction. Our post-truth world is off the scale.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/a-collapsed-case-shows-the-perils-of-policing-transphobia-

Tut tut. Copying and pasting from the 'enemy of the people MSM'. I'm sure you'll be calling for y oh r own execution in no time. 

Or is that only when they print op eds you don't personally like? 

3 minutes ago, Setton said:

Tut tut. Copying and pasting from the 'enemy of the people MSM'. I'm sure you'll be calling for y oh r own execution in no time. 

What?

1 hour ago, hetrodoxly said:

What?

Nevermind. If you'd like the point at any stage, it's about 20 feet over your head. 

6 minutes ago, Setton said:

Nevermind. If you'd like the point at any stage, it's about 20 feet over your head. 

No, why the constant child like posts that have nothing to do with the jubject.

You're a complete bore,:sleepy:

Edited by hetrodoxly

1 hour ago, Setton said:

Is the Spectator "mainstream media" ? It's the oldest magazine in the world, but... mainstream ??

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Is the Spectator "mainstream media" ? It's the oldest magazine in the world, but... mainstream ??

I would say so. Certainly if you usually get your 'news' from YouTube, like certain people here. 

27 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

No, why the constant child like posts that have nothing to do with the jubject.

You're a complete bore,:sleepy:

I guess because the other relevant posts also went completely over your head? 

28 minutes ago, Setton said:

I guess because the other relevant posts also went completely over your head? 

:passifier::sleepy:

When have you ever posted anything relevant.

Edited by hetrodoxly

• The topic was locked