Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Carnoferox

Dinosaur in amber turns out to be lizard

Recommended Posts

 
Kaikou

AAAAAAAAAH. Tiny dino. I want one.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orphalesion
11 minutes ago, Kaikou said:

AAAAAAAAAH. Tiny dino. I want one.

I mean you can get pet dinosaurs that are as tiny as 4 inches, head to tail. Not quite as small as this one apparently was, but still pretty small.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kaikou
1 minute ago, Orphalesion said:

I mean you can get pet dinosaurs that are as tiny as 4 inches, head to tail. Not quite as small as this one apparently was, but still pretty small.

I'm kind of drunk. Got excited for awhile, but eventually realised that you were talking about birds or Lizards.
Then I remembered that you can get birds or Lizards as pets.
Not angry at you, just myself.
 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skulduggery

Jingmai has been posting cool updates about this on Facebook. I'm a big fan of her work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carnoferox
1 hour ago, Skulduggery said:

Jingmai has been posting cool updates about this on Facebook. I'm a big fan of her work.

Has she addressed the lizard identity yet? There are a large amount of researchers from all over (USA, UK, Italy, China, etc.) that are now considering it a lizard.

http://tetzoo.com/blog/2020/3/10/hummingbird-sized-archaic-birds-of-cretaceous

http://theropoda.blogspot.com/2020/03/dubbi-sullo-stato-dinosauriano-e-aviano.html

http://ivpp.cas.cn/kxcb/kpdt/202003/t20200313_5514594.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skulduggery
1 minute ago, Carnoferox said:

Has she addressed the lizard identity yet? There are a large amount of researchers from all over (USA, UK, Italy, China, etc.) that are now considering it a lizard.

http://tetzoo.com/blog/2020/3/10/hummingbird-sized-archaic-birds-of-cretaceous

http://theropoda.blogspot.com/2020/03/dubbi-sullo-stato-dinosauriano-e-aviano.html

http://ivpp.cas.cn/kxcb/kpdt/202003/t20200313_5514594.html

Nothing being said yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carnoferox
12 minutes ago, Skulduggery said:

Nothing being said yet.

I've heard rumors (note: just rumors) that lead author Lida Xing mislead Jingmai and the other authors about the nature of Oculudentavis. Allegedly he knew of specimens with preserved postcrania that showed it was clearly a lizard.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carnoferox
Posted (edited)

There is now a formal response from a group of Chinese paleontologists out in preprint form, which concludes that Oculudentavis is indeed a lizard.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.16.993949v1.full.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3UpU2hxL4mh8gxEkDWnxprx-TftdRCpMRfR8X9q-jbVmh3m-9HHGecrxI

Could a moderator change the title of this thread to something like “Dinosaur in amber turns out to be lizard”? The current title is misleading now.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carnoferox
Posted (edited)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Carnoferox

A second specimen of Oculudentavis with preserved postcrania and scales confirms that it is a lizard.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.08.09.243048v1

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lepophagus
1 hour ago, Carnoferox said:

A second specimen of Oculudentavis with preserved postcrania and scales confirms that it is a lizard.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.08.09.243048v1

Any pictures of the second specimen? Still sounds like quite an interesting looking find. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carnoferox
13 minutes ago, Lepophagus said:

Any pictures of the second specimen? Still sounds like quite an interesting looking find. 

They're in the pdf.

Capture.PNG.92282f152197da244c50c3b3d35b3b88.PNG

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.