Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How is the CoronaVirus affecting your life?

Myles

The only way it's affected me is through work. They wanted to make sure we can still make parts....yeah, big money winner chicken dinner.

• Like 4

At present it has only affected me by giving me a good laugh at the speed that the toilet paper flies off the shelves.  I don't go to the grocery store more often than every two weeks so I had not been since I heard about this.  Funny how people have scarfed up the toilet paper but you can still get plenty of food.  I did see a zombie with cart full of 8 24 pack bottles of water and nothing else.  There are 4 cases reported in this state since Monday, all of them recently (last week) returned from travel, 3 out of country and one to New York.  We do not live packed close, even in the cities so if people will use proper hygiene and make a conscious effort to cough into their sleeve or what ever, I don't expect it will affect me much except next month when I need toilet paper I will have to get it at Home Depot and pay twice as much.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

At present it has only affected me by giving me a good laugh at the speed that the toilet paper flies off the shelves.  I don't go to the grocery store more often than every two weeks so I had not been since I heard about this.  Funny how people have scarfed up the toilet paper but you can still get plenty of food.  I did see a zombie with cart full of 8 24 pack bottles of water and nothing else.  There are 4 cases reported in this state since Monday, all of them recently (last week) returned from travel, 3 out of country and one to New York.  We do not live packed close, even in the cities so if people will use proper hygiene and make a conscious effort to cough into their sleeve or what ever, I don't expect it will affect me much except next month when I need toilet paper I will have to get it at Home Depot and pay twice as much.

Seems to be mostly cleaning supplies and toilet paper that's missing. 

• Like 3

I find my hand automatically goes to the volume knob to turn it down whenever the news comes on the radio *, and I automatically close any "BREAKING NEWS" story that pops up on my phone, because I know it'll just be hysterical guff

* I never watch the news on tv

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I haven't been affected and don't expect to be.  So far the only inconvenience has been that the stores I regularly shop at have been out of hand sanitizer.  I've been using it for years and just happen to be running low, not wanting it because of the current panic.  Unless they close all the grocery stores and impose martial law I can't see any real changes coming my way.  I stay well stocked on all things except perishables like milk, eggs and bread.  I could live off my pantry and freezer for a month or more with only minor menu modifications.  I'm retired and don't really have interaction with people other than cashiers so I'm already in a quarantine of sorts.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

My art class closed down. People are going nuts in the stores like there is a hurricane coming.  My roommate freaked out, so I am good for toilet paper for a while. I had the flu last month, so I still have a little bit of a cough. If you cough in public it's like....    

Edited by Grandpa Greenman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Well, I'm still catching the train and I've been thinking about strategies for social distancing; but, I haven't put anything in place...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

I haven't been affected and don't expect to be.  So far the only inconvenience has been that the stores I regularly shop at have been out of hand sanitizer.  I've been using it for years and just happen to be running low, not wanting it because of the current panic.  Unless they close all the grocery stores and impose martial law I can't see any real changes coming my way.  I stay well stocked on all things except perishables like milk, eggs and bread.  I could live off my pantry and freezer for a month or more with only minor menu modifications.  I'm retired and don't really have interaction with people other than cashiers so I'm already in a quarantine of sorts.

I have a similar situation, I can live off my pantry and the food in the freezer, have plenty of cleaning supplies.  And I have plenty of flour and yeast to make my own bread, because I do that often anyway.  I work from home so that's another plus.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Well, I'm still catching the train and I've been thinking about strategies for social distancing; but, I haven't put anything in place...

An Italian man has taken extreme measures to ward off coronavirus, after it was classed as a pandemic by the World Health Organization this week.

In a clip shared to Twitter on Wednesday, he strolls along the streets of Rome wearing a giant disc in an attempt to enforce social distancing amid the global outbreak.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8104031/Italian-man-wears-GIANT-disk-extreme-attempt-enforce-social-distancing-Rome.html

:lol:

• Haha 8

We had to do a proposal for Corona virus prevention prior to starting an outage up in Wisconsin.  Down here in Iowa we are no longer allowed access to the control rooms of the power plants because there isn't enough trained operators to continue plant operation if the current ones get sick and quarantined.

The outage I am currently on (at a gas turbine power plant) has both turbines currently torn apart for blade work.  So they won't be coming back online if we were to suddenly get quarantined.  To mitigate this, the company was discussing cancelling another scheduled major outage at a nearby coal plant.  If that gets cancelled, then the four guys on my crew that was scheduled to go there might have to take a layoff.  Places where we have maintenance agreements are cutting back or delaying maintenance as well.

No one has contracted Covid-19, however.  The closest we got was a cancelled scheduled walk down at a Monsanto plant because the guy we were supposed to walk it down with had an exposure.

There is still toilet paper in the stores but the hand sanitizer is long gone.

• Like 5

I'm just really annoyed at the whole circus (media and otherwise) that has been built up around this whole thing. A Filipino friend of mine told me she was harassed in the subway because people thought she was Chinese (and thus, apparently, automatically a Coronavirus carrier) I'm annoyed at the toilet paper and spaghetti shortages.
And I'm kind of worried about the possible long time ill effects that this (largely media produced) "panic" could have. 

• Like 8

I just got an email from our corporate headquarters.  We are not required to work from home but encouraged to.  Also encouraged not to travel and if we do to let our bosses know where we are going.  We have 3 people from our office that are currently on cruises and they are expected to work from home for 3 weeks after they return.  I already mentioned that I work from home.  Only one person in my group is going to be in the office because he finds it too difficult to work from home.  I don't think it will affect our productivity since we are programmers and QA personnel, only the bosses see the clients.

• Like 7

If anything goes down (like power) I should be fine. Got plenty of food, rain water with a filtration system, plus 250 watt solar with inverter. It's other people that bother me. I'm still picking up misc items as I can. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

I hope I don't need to go buy myself a bra; or worse, go stealing one.

It's bad enough going to extreme measures without having to look like a t(w)it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Orphalesion said:

I'm just really annoyed at the whole circus (media and otherwise) that has been built up around this whole thing. A Filipino friend of mine told me she was harassed in the subway because people thought she was Chinese (and thus, apparently, automatically a Coronavirus carrier) I'm annoyed at the toilet paper and spaghetti shortages.
And I'm kind of worried about the possible long time ill effects that this (largely media produced) "panic" could have. 

It is a media circus.   But it should be a real concern for anyone who visits or takes care of elderly.   It's pretty rough on them with I believe a 15% fatality rate for over 70 years old.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

41 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

It's bad enough going to extreme measures without having to look like a t(w)it.

Naomi Campbell wears hazmat suit to airport amid coronavirus outbreak

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/naomi-campbell-coronavirus-precaution-outfit/index.html

Toilet paper stampede in Australia: (39secs)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

The schools are going to be closed for the next 3 weeks, which means our clients are going to be bringing their entire families to appointments.  We are going to be requiring them to either leave the older kids at home or have someone take them to the car.   They are not going to be happy about it.   I am going to tell them if they insist on bringing everyone we will simply reschedule them.

Edited by tcgram
  • Like 2
  • Sad 6

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

It is a media circus.   But it should be a real concern for anyone who visits or takes care of elderly.   It's pretty rough on them with I believe a 15% fatality rate for over 70 years old.  

I'm approaching that age myself and I'm not worried.  What is the percentage of 70 year olds that make it to 80, or even 75?  Most of the fatalities I've heard of were in their 80s.  Few of them make it to 90.  So at most this disease might be accelerating the end by a few months, or years at most.  Not to be cold hearted about it, but I know personally that living to this age infuses one with gratitude for all the things we've lived through that we probably shouldn't have and by now we've made our peace with the inevitable.  My sadness comes from young soldiers dying, not old geezers like myself.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

Of course, but those cases aren't exactly helped with the media making a bad situation worse....

• Like 3

I

9 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

I'm approaching that age myself and I'm not worried.  What is the percentage of 70 year olds that make it to 80, or even 75?  Most of the fatalities I've heard of were in their 80s.  Few of them make it to 90.  So at most this disease might be accelerating the end by a few months, or years at most.  Not to be cold hearted about it, but I know personally that living to this age infuses one with gratitude for all the things we've lived through that we probably shouldn't have and by now we've made our peace with the inevitable.  My sadness comes from young soldiers dying, not old geezers like myself.

If you run out of toilet paper, you know you’re gonna be pizzed.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

I

If you run out of toilet paper, you know you’re gonna be pizzed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• The topic was locked