Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Republicans and Democrats, common ground?

White-Coyote

The purpose of this topic is to see if there is some sort of common ground between Republicans and Democrats. 

Is there anything we can both agree on?

Are we truly as devided of a country as they say we are?

Is there any hope to unite us in some small way?

This is not meant to be a debate, just a friendly discussion. I think we should try to understand each other.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think there are lots of things we can agree on....

•  improving our infrastructure (roads are not good and bridges are in poor condition.)
  • advancing solar technology
  • more money for the space program, which has brought us a lot of good technology
  • better access to health care
  • prison reforms
  • border security (yes, we liberals do care about that, though selective quotes from a few fringers make it seem like we don't.)

...etc.  What tends to divide us is "HOW we should do  it."

Edited by Kenemet
  • Like 5

So much for "we're all Americans after all"

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I can live with all that, and am in favor of most. Personally I just want my government to leave me alone. 

My biggest issue  is 2a. 

I will not allow my personal property to be confiscated by people I do not trust.

I'm going to be blunt. If **** hits the fan, the innocent will be glad I'm armed regardless any affiliation.

I would never hurt anyone that didn't attack me and my own first.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, third_eye said:

So much for "we're all Americans after all"

~

Actually that's the point

• Like 4

1 hour ago, White-Coyote said:

The purpose of this topic is to see if there is some sort of common ground between Republicans and Democrats. 

Is there anything we can both agree on?

Are we truly as devided of a country as they say we are?

Is there any hope to unite us in some small way?

This is not meant to be a debate, just a friendly discussion. I think we should try to understand each other.

We all get along just fine, without the media blowing everything out of proportion and causing division. I'd like to know what their end game is. That is what everyone can seem to agree on among everyone we know these days.

People are thoroughly fed up with watching the news, because it doesn't in any way reflect real life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

We all get along just fine, without the media blowing everything out of proportion and causing division. I'd like to know what their end game is. That is what everyone can seem to agree on among everyone we know these days.

People are thoroughly fed up with watching the news, because it doesn't in any way reflect real life.

I couldn't agree more Michelle. The media is the biggest reason for the divide. I really saw it after I retired. Now I see the people in my apt building that just sit in front of news channels all day long. They fight and sound like parrots. Very confrontational people. Bored housewives are probably the same way. It's not good to sit in front of a TV all the time. Those 24 hour news stations should have been taken off the air a long time ago.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, White-Coyote said:

I'm going to be blunt. If **** hits the fan, the innocent will be glad I'm armed regardless any affiliation.

The innocent are already dying for your paranoia and your politicians' refusal to act. 

So what are you and your silly little guns going to do about it? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, susieice said:

I couldn't agree more Michelle. The media is the biggest reason for the divide. I really saw it after I retired. Now I see the people in my apt building that just sit in front of news channels all day long. They fight and sound like parrots. Very confrontational people. Bored housewives are probably the same way. It's not good to sit in front of a TV all the time. Those 24 hour news stations should have been taken off the air a long time ago.

I believe that is from 1972.

quote-shortly-the-public-will-be-unable-

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

And media totally knows this. They depend on it.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

And he was so close. Just turns out its coming from your president instead of the news. 

• Thanks 1

Maybe the silver lining in this pandemic is realizing that we're all human and vulnerable no matter what our beliefs. 

Maybe that can unite us. 

• Like 1

Any common ground is superficial.  The division comes from deeply opposing ideologies.  Those two can never coexist.  They must actively seek to dominate the other.  It would be easier to ask oil and water to remain mixed.  The only solution is to establish one and totally eradicate the other.  I don’t know how you do that without a civil war??  We have to decide if we want to stay true to the ideal of what America is and sticking to the original intent of the Founding Fathers or we just do what the rest of the world does, living in a gilded cage, never truly free, being taken care of cradle to grave.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

Any common ground is superficial.  The division comes from deeply opposing ideologies.  Those two can never coexist.  They must actively seek to dominate the other.  It would be easier to ask oil and water to remain mixed.  The only solution is to establish one and totally eradicate the other.  I don’t know how you do that without a civil war??  We have to decide if we want to stay true to the ideal of what America is and sticking to the original intent of the Founding Fathers or we just do what the rest of the world does, living in a gilded cage, never truly free, being taken care of cradle to grave.

So your interpretation of the Constitution is that the Founding Fathers wanted a single established ideology and the eradication of those that disagree with it?  

Edit to add:  And of course your ideology is the one that the Founding Fathers had in mind I take it?

Edited by Gromdor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Gromdor said:

So your interpretation of the Constitution is that the Founding Fathers wanted a single established ideology

Absolutely!!!  That is why they broke away from all forms of tyranny.  Our Constitution is the only form of government that limits tyranny.

and the eradication of those that disagree with it?  

I think you answered your own question.  If you disagree with the precepts of the Constitution, then why are you living under it?

Edit to add:  And of course your ideology is the one that the Founding Fathers had in mind I take it?

Not exactly.  The Founding Fathers didn’t follow my ideology.  I follow their ideology.  My interpretation is but one of a class that encompass the writings of our Founding Fathers.  They made it clear through their writings what their ideology is.  It is not that hard to understand it.  The range of interpretations is narrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

Absolutely!!!  That is why they broke away from all forms of tyranny.  Our Constitution is the only form of government that limits tyranny.

I think you answered your own question.  If you disagree with the precepts of the Constitution, then why are you living under it?

Not exactly.  The Founding Fathers didn’t follow my ideology.  I follow their ideology.  My interpretation is but one of a class that encompass the writings of our Founding Fathers.  They made it clear through their writings what their ideology is.  It is not that hard to understand it.  The range of interpretations is narrow.

Yeah, I have to say your interpretation of the Constitution is really amusing.  Good luck on the repealing of the six amendments and the other changes you wish to do to it.  Also, best of luck on ridding your self of half your fellow countrymen in that civil war you seem to desire as well.  No tyranny in any of that.....

• Like 1

The problem isn’t common ground. The problem is that democrats and republicans have become like members of opposing cults. Two different warped sects of the same religion with fatwas out on each other. 

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, OverSword said:

The problem isn’t common ground. The problem is that democrats and republicans have become like members of opposing cults. Two different warped sects of the same religion with fatwas out on each other. 

Solutions?

3 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Solutions?

People need to ignore fear and go 3rd and 4th  party.  Probably Green and Libertarian.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

Nothing has changed since the United States inception. We have been divided by two parties all along. You can look at political cartoons from 2 centuries ago, and they could just as well apply to today. Nothing has changed. The only common ground I see is both parties want wellbeing for its citizens, but both parties go about it in different ways.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, South Alabam said:

Nothing has changed since the United States inception. We have been divided by two parties all along. You can look at political cartoons from 2 centuries ago, and they could just as well apply to today. Nothing has changed. The only common ground I see is both parties want wellbeing for its citizens, but both parties go about it in different ways.

I thought the same while watching an old episode of Laugh-in a while back.  The concerns when I was a kid are pretty much the same as they are now.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

On 3/15/2020 at 9:53 PM, RavenHawk said:

you guys need to get rid of the 2 party system mentality.. bring in a 3rd party or more to act as a emulsifier.. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2020 at 5:05 PM, South Alabam said:

On 3/16/2020 at 6:59 PM, OverSword said:

I thought the same while watching an old episode of Laugh-in a while back.  The concerns when I was a kid are pretty much the same as they are now.

and some say constitution is outdated, lol

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

At one time the republicans were the party of racial equality and then at some point that (allegedly) flipped.  The Democrats have traditionally been the party of the working class, has that now flipped?

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

The Democrats have traditionally been the party of the working class, has that now flipped?

That party has allowed the most extreme elements to take complete control.  They can't win national elections because most Americans are not extremists so they are attempting to wholesale change the base of the party to immigrants in a perpetual state of poverty and need.  Look no further than California or NY.  The Democrat party is NOT what it was a couple of decades ago.  They and their media 5th column are actively working to weaken America and throw the Constitution away so they can implement the changes THEY WANT.

• Like 1