Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Republicans and Democrats, common ground?

White-Coyote

15 hours ago, and then said:

That party has allowed the most extreme elements to take complete control.  They can't win national elections because most Americans are not extremists so they are attempting to wholesale change the base of the party to immigrants in a perpetual state of poverty and need.  Look no further than California or NY.  The Democrat party is NOT what it was a couple of decades ago.  They and their media 5th column are actively working to weaken America and throw the Constitution away so they can implement the changes THEY WANT.

It's disappointing on both sides.    Just shows me that all Dems and Reps are scoundrels.  I don't believe any individual on either side believes in all that their party is standing for.  

There are people who:

Own several guns

Are OK with most abortions

Want to stop illegal immigration

Believe in climate change

Are atheist

But our politicians, nearly all of them, choose to support only 1 side of every issue.  

• Like 3

On 3/15/2020 at 6:53 AM, RavenHawk said:

Any common ground is superficial.  The division comes from deeply opposing ideologies.  Those two can never coexist.  They must actively seek to dominate the other.  It would be easier to ask oil and water to remain mixed.  The only solution is to establish one and totally eradicate the other.  I don’t know how you do that without a civil war??  We have to decide if we want to stay true to the ideal of what America is and sticking to the original intent of the Founding Fathers or we just do what the rest of the world does, living in a gilded cage, never truly free, being taken care of cradle to grave.

People actually can disagree without killing each other. 

And it's a rather un-American idea to "eradicate" groups that you don't agree with. 

I doubt the Founding Fathers would have approved of an America where no one could dissent. 

I'm gonna take the higher ground and wish you well, RavenHawk. 

• Like 1

Well, this should give all of us some reassurance about the Dem's willingness to find common ground:

Edited by hacktorp
  • Like 1

There really isn't much room for common ground.  The reason I say that is because our nation has 3 main factions right now:  Conservatives, Liberals and Leftists.

Conservatives and Liberals don't like each other's politics but tend to negotiate and get things done, but with the growing relevance of the Leftists and their insanely authoritarian "Any beliefs contrary to our own will not be tolerated" ideology influencing Liberal politics we've ended up in a state where both sides of the aisle are starting to genuinely loath each other.

All the while the MSM is actively trying to burn down the stability of our society by fanning the flames to make a few bucks. 

Opening up actual free speech on social media instead of banning people who have "unpopular" opinions and holding the media accountable for when they tell bald-faced lies as well as calling them out every time they twist the truth to push an agenda would be a start to bringing us back together.

• Thanks 1

There truly is so much area for common ground. The issue is the extreme right and extreme left. I find myself, as well as many others, a centrist. The polarize the sides so much, to such great extremes, it’s nauseating. Let alone the choices we have. With all this said,  I’m not saying I can rest easy and believe we will find this common ground.. rather the potential is there. The radical left is so anti-American and anti-establishment, they don’t care about progress here. They want a one world order with open borders and a large welfare state. There’s plenty to say about the Republican side too (although I lean to the right). I could keep going but I’ll let this rest for now.

I want to add something: I have family who is democrat but they are sickened by the turn left. They are pro-american, they believe in gun rights, they match more of a 1960’s Democrat than modern. I also know this hippy woman who blazes on weed and plays acoustic who hangs our flag proudly outside her door. Interesting, to say the least.

Edited by seetheSeeker
  • Like 1

There was a time when youd have a law with 50% of republicans and 50% of democrats supporting it, and the others opposing. Based on those individual politicians personal beliefs.

Today is almost 100% versus 100%. The fault if this, as with most things, is money. Those Rs and Ds that dont toe their House/Senate leadership positions are almost always threatened with withholding of reelection funds. And in this digital age, it's mostly true that those with the most money usually win. So most politicians roll over like a puppy and vote as they are told. Even if they dont believe in what they are voting for.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/13/2020 at 9:32 PM, Michelle said:

We all get along just fine, without the media blowing everything out of proportion and causing division. I'd like to know what their end game is. That is what everyone can seem to agree on among everyone we know these days.

People are thoroughly fed up with watching the news, because it doesn't in any way reflect real life.

What the media's game is? Isnt it obvious... Money. The juicier the mud throwing, the more clicks they get, the more advertising they can sell.

Love of money, by media, corporations and politicians is the main problem in government.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did a quick unsuccessful search.   Looking for a site that tracks current politicians and which vote across party lines the most.   

Those that do would get my votes if possible.  Crossing party lines shows character.  

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 3:21 PM, DingoLingo said:

you guys need to get rid of the 2 party system mentality.. bring in a 3rd party or more to act as a emulsifier.. 

Much simpler and helpful solution: get rid of parties. Make decisions and vote for people based on the issues themselves, and run as fast as possible from the unnecessary and harmful pack mentality/team B.S.

Everyone should know that the whole us vs. them team mentality where we draw a line down the middle brings something coded into us that will bring out the nastiest and most irrational reaction in people, because defending your 'team' becomes more important (naturally) than doing what's best. Of course this isn't necessarily true or a rule on a person to person level on issues with opposing potential decisions, but it becomes a rule when groups of people (small or large the same) become involved. It goes so far as to make people of a group truly believe to themselves that the reason they are agreeing and siding with people/issues is because they're right, but inside psychologically it's because they are defending their home team and its values, and will fight to the death in their head to rationalize that unspoken agreement. Why do we have to build political systems around that?

The real answer is we don't. We can have arguments just fine on issues without the needless/unhealthy dual party split, but I think we'd all find that discussions/arguments become a lot more fruitful and likely less unnecessarily nasty/childish, when we aren't defending a team.

It's really situations like the dual party political system that show how ridiculous we do things considered normal in our society, and just no one really thinks about changing it, because it's just the way it is. I can't stand that.

Edited by _Only

On 3/13/2020 at 9:32 PM, Michelle said:

We all get along just fine, without the media blowing everything out of proportion and causing division.

Well, that's up for debate in this age of everyone in the world with a computer keyboard and/or camera sharing/manipulating information to their will over the internet, in an age where people are being taught that the most 'likes' = truth and/or righteous. 

The problem in deciding that is our greater society has never had a way of life where there weren't people at the top pulling strings because they have the ability to. But I'd be willing to bet that if those at the top who are pulling strings (those in media, and those in charge of media, including online social media giants, etc.) weren't, someone else, anyone, will take the opportunity if possible, which again, is possible in today's age by most anyone with a keyboard who can get enough people to agree with them. I think it's a human issue, not just a money issue, though that of course is a part in the media selling confrontation/negativity. I just really don't think that's as all encompassing as some of you guys do. I think without the media and their agendas for their reasons, people will still be divided and nasty and negative in division, because it's unfortunately a natural part of our being human beings - we're always fighting among each other, always have, always will. If there's an opportunity for us vs. them, look out.

But all that said, of course we are always being manipulated, and it'd be best to cut that out, but saying we all get along just fine without it is ignoring an almost hilarious (from an outside perspective) aspect of us being these social beings. War never changes.

On 3/15/2020 at 5:46 AM, GlitterRose said:

Maybe the silver lining in this pandemic is realizing that we're all human and vulnerable no matter what our beliefs. 

Maybe that can unite us. 

Unfortunately and sadly, at least in my country, that couldn't be farther from reality for many. :(

On 3/16/2020 at 2:05 PM, South Alabam said:

Nothing has changed since the United States inception. We have been divided by two parties all along. You can look at political cartoons from 2 centuries ago, and they could just as well apply to today. Nothing has changed. The only common ground I see is both parties want wellbeing for its citizens, but both parties go about it in different ways.

Well, the thing that has changed very recently in the timeline is the internet giving everyone in country with a computer/phone access to converse with everyone else who has the same. This has snowballed conflict and made it suffocating. 

It often seems the Loudmouths, rather then those with helpful ideas, get the most attention, time and money.