Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Man spends 3yrs building his own pirate ship

Eldorado

"If you could quit your day job right this second, what would you do? Start your own business?

"(Try to) become a Hollywood A-lister?

"Or pursue your dreams of becoming a pirate?

"One man who has made a living out of doing exactly that is Ian Lottie, who after three years of building his own pirate ship is just about ready to set sail on the high seas.

"Ian, a self-professed smuggler and pirate reenactor, has been working on – to give it its official name – Pirate Ship Dark Angel ever since he made the split-second decision to make himself a ship from scratch in 2017."

Pics at UniLad:https://www.unilad.co.uk/life/plymouth-man-spends-three-years-building-his-own-pirate-ship/

What's the chances of us hearing  about a pirate drowning soon?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

freetoroam

You got to be kidding me. 

Looks like a crappy home made  wooden cruiser. 

The wooden hull should expand when it hits the water, making it watertight,  hopefully.

• Like 4

Still Waters

Once it’s on the water, which I’m really hoping will be in the next couple of months, I’m going to sail her right down the South Coast to [get] some money raised for a charity that supports children with cancer.

https://www.unilad.co.uk/life/plymouth-man-spends-three-years-building-his-own-pirate-ship/

Good luck to him :tu:

• Like 3

Piney
1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

The wooden hull should expand when it hits the water, making it watertight,  hopefully.

I hope it has trim tabs and a ballast system. It looks like it would heel on it's side with the slightest chop. 

• Like 2

freetoroam
1 minute ago, Piney said:

I hope it has trim tabs and a ballast system. It looks like it would heel on it's side with the slightest chop. 

Good luck to him. I have no doubts it will sail. I have seen some dodgy looking boats on the water, my old one was one of them. :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Piney
1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

Good luck to him. I have no doubts it will sail. I have seen some dodgy looking boats on the water, my old one was one of them. :D

The planking is also "side cuts" rather than "center cuts" of pine which means they will bow, twist and pop their nails even when lapped. 

I was friends with the Leeks who founded Pacemaker in the Pine Barrens. I learned a lot about building boats from them and the mill sawed a lot of wood for restorers whose brains I'd pick. 

But I'll stick with my foam filled fiberglass thankyouverymuch. :yes:

• Like 1

aztek

now he needs floats all around, and he'll be fine.

• Haha 1