Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

LEGO could survive in ocean for 1,300 years

Recommended Posts

Still Waters

A study led by the University of Plymouth examined the extent to which items of the ever-popular children's toy were worn down in the marine environment.

By measuring the mass of individual bricks found on beaches against equivalent unused pieces and the age of blocks obtained from storage, researchers estimated that the items could endure for anywhere between 100 and 1,300 years.

They say it once again reinforces the message that people need to think carefully about how they dispose of everyday household items.

https://phys.org/news/2020-03-lego-bricks-survive-ocean-years.html

Related:

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
aztek
Posted (edited)

lego pieces aren't  the problem,  bottles, bags, foam, and other floating garbage is the problem, some legos on ocean floor do not pose much threat.   other things humans made can survive in ocean for much longer, glass, porcelain, .....

 

Edited by aztek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
toast
Posted (edited)

I think the more important factor is the proportion value LEGO to all other plastic stuff in the oceans. But nice to know anyway.

Edited by toast
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
21 minutes ago, toast said:

I think the more important factor is the proportion value LEGO to all other plastic stuff in the oceans. But nice to know anyway.

How many people throw away LEGO??? :blink:

That's a mortal sin and blasphemy!!!!! :unsure2:

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
15 minutes ago, Piney said:

How many people throw away LEGO??? :blink:

That's a mortal sin and blasphemy!!!!! :unsure2:

I could not agree more. :angry:

If you dont use them anymore, give them to someone else.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
Just now, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

If you dont use them anymore, give them to someone else.

They get snatched up so fast at a sidewalk sale. :yes:

......

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
'Walt' E. Kurtz

the look on your face when you step on Lego

 https://images.app.goo.gl/DEcWLc6aLc6RUy446

 

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
1 minute ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

the look on your face when you step on Lego

 https://images.app.goo.gl/DEcWLc6aLc6RUy446

 

You are Swedish so your opinion doesn't count. :whistle:

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
'Walt' E. Kurtz
1 minute ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

You are Swedish so your opinion doesn't count. :whistle:

No we just know how to have fun or we knew when we were vikings. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
3 minutes ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

No we just know how to have fun or we knew when we were vikings. 

Making fun of the Swedes is kinda my thing around here.

Spoiler

We both know that the real evil is Norway.

 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam

Make houses out of lego, between 100 and 1,300 years is not bad. 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fred_mc
Posted (edited)

Pretty cool that LEGO lasts that long. Maybe some future archaeologists will dig up LEGO pieces in 1000 years, and find something out about our time.

Edited by fred_mc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
toast
Posted (edited)

I still remember the smell of my wooden LEGO box, it was a big one with a lot of little compartments. And my favourite bricks were the transparent corner bricks 2x2.

Edited by toast
LEGO not LOGO #$%@& !!!!
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoofGardener
26 minutes ago, toast said:

I still remember the smell of my wooden LEGO box, it was a big one with a lot of little compartments. And my favourite bricks were the transparent corner bricks 2x2.

Oh WOW.. you had the transparent corner bricks ? 

we could never afford THOSE :(

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
toast

:lol:

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
4 hours ago, Still Waters said:

A study led by the University of Plymouth examined the extent to which items of the ever-popular children's toy were worn down in the marine environment.

By measuring the mass of individual bricks found on beaches against equivalent unused pieces and the age of blocks obtained from storage, researchers estimated that the items could endure for anywhere between 100 and 1,300 years.

They say it once again reinforces the message that people need to think carefully about how they dispose of everyday household items.

https://phys.org/news/2020-03-lego-bricks-survive-ocean-years.html

Related:

 

They are also one of the most painful things to be stood on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seti42
Posted (edited)

All the more reason to keep Lego's in circulation. Keep playing with them/collecting them, pass them on to the younger generation, donate them to hospitals, libraries, homeless shelters, day care centers, schools, etc. Don't let them enter landfills...Or the ocean.

IMO, Lego's are the best toy ever. Unlike most toys, Lego's are educational, timeless, and fun in great measure.

I still buy one set a year, and make sure to resell or give away ones I don't want anymore.

Edited by Seti42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DanL

This sounds like we need to make ships out of Lego blocks instead of steel!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
'Walt' E. Kurtz
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Making fun of the Swedes is kinda my thing around here.

  Hide contents

We both know that the real evil is Norway.

 

Nae i like all Scandinavian countries cause we're all Scandinavian :-) the finns are not but i still regard them as Scandinavian. 

Edited by 'Walt' E. Kurtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.